Timey Wimey Business- a thread for Doctor Who

Dvandom

Citizen
Either some of the "mysterious repeating woman" versions this season never showed on screen, or they BARELY showed up, because I didn't recognize a few of the roll call. If some of the iterations were invented for this episode, that'd support the idea that the original plan had five more episodes to let the mystery breathe.

Another note that does bear spoiler tagging, apparently Sutekh got a lot more appearances in the audio dramas, which I have not listened to, but which might have provided more of a bridge from "powerful alien who is tricked into dying of old age in a teleport tunnel" to "cosmic being."

---Dave

Glitch

Citizen
When you realize the decimated future scene in 'The Devil's chord' was a hint/reference.

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
Okay feels like that ending.. i dunno how to even feel about it.

In traditonal fashion the doctor beats the villain abruptly using highly suspect logic. Bringing death to death bringing life is like.. Wouldn't that just make everyone immortal? I dont know. Rubys mom being a normal person but mysterious because people thought she was mysterious feels.. like bullshit? And then we have Flood being an absolute weirdo moments before her death basically spoiling to Rubys grandmother that shes some crazy bad guy and I guess grandma just didn't bother to tell anyone about the crazy old lady who talked about having grand plans.

Shadewing

Citizen
Already I don't like this. Any time we get dead on a grand scale like this, it becomes a massive red flag that everything is going to get retconned as that's the only solution. That just hampered my enjoyment of the episode, becuase regardless of eveythign else, I know how its going to end.

I do love the Memory TARDIS, probably the coolest thing in this episode.

Oh WOW... IS that just the biggest cop out ever. Good ******* lord. "What happens when you bring Death to Death? Life!" Just reeks of "wrote ourselves into a corner"

Okay, despite my feelings on Sutekh and how all that ends; I have mad respect for Ruby being normal human and in general how they handled the whole plot line. Ruby's mother is nothing special, except for the fact that so much mythos was built up around her, that she became important. I'm not sure if that fully explained the snow and all that; but overall I prefer that to "Companion is special" that we usually get.

Ruby is supposed to come back next season; but this ending I get why we got rumors of her leaving. This is a very finite feeling ending for her. And we still have no answers about Mrs. Flood. I suppose she'll be the biggest mystery of RTD's new run.

electricidad

Citizen
I wish Ncuti would have gotten a “full” season instead of just 8 episodes, and I think the finale suffered somewhat for it. His speech felt Capaldi-esque during his final showdown with Sutekh. I love him as the Doctor.

I’ll happily watch another season of this Doctor/companion match up.

Dvandom

Citizen
Oh Primus, they pulled the Madoka Magica riff: character attains huge cosmic importance purely because a time traveler is way too focused on them.

---Dave

Shadewing

Citizen
Okay, I think I offically hate this finale after letting it settle and think on it. Suetekh was wasted. He kills everyone except for Doc, Ruby, and Mel for BS reasons. Then does absoulte **** all. Like they couldnt afford to actually do anything with that CGI model. The whole plot feels "becuase I said so" way of writing. It misses pretty much all the great character work that really made me like RTD's past few seasons. Nothing feels earned, everything is undone; there's no lasting effects of this happening. Nothing gets answered, And I don't mean "oh so there's lingering questions" I mean, stuff that fells like it should have been answered, should have been important... just isn't. Its not addressed, its not brought up, at best things are just handwaved. People want to complain about changes to lore and how stuff just changes... but at least those plots still made sense. It still felt like effort and thought went into trying to make them work. Maybe not work well. But here... everything feels like stuff just happens, and either they changed their minds or had to rewrite, or something... and nothing fits nothing works with the resolution. None of the huild up leads to anything. Its all.... nothing. All hollow and empty. The more you think about it, or the more I think about it, the less sense ANY of it makes. it's just a massive string of "And then"s. This season as a whole has lacked any down time or small character moments. We never really get to know Ruby or this Doctor all that well, or see them have much connection or chemistry because so often they're doing their own things separate from one another. This makes what should feel like the typical tearful farewell just... again very hollow and empty. And maybe this should be Ruby's end. Her story is over, its tied up with a bow; and last time we got that keeping the companions around felt largely superfluous.

I wasn't a big fan of Chibnal's run, but even its better then this... if only slightly. I had high hopes for RTD's return, he helped revitalize the show for a new era, and it felt like he could do that again... but this... I'm not sure this is it... So much of it feels either by the numbers, completely safe, or like he's copying the homework of recent movies and not in a good way. There's only been 3 episodes that i really liked this season, 4 if we include Church as part of the season. It just feels like they got blinded by having the Disney budget becuase they no longer had to be clever to get around their limitations.

Echowarrior

Citizen
Is it wrong that I'm more excited by the promo video than I am the game?

Look, crossovers between major properties are neat and all, but if the companies involved were really invested in something like this, we could get something a bit more substantial.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
It has happened in comics before - like the one where the Cybermen and Borg teamed up.

(So does that mean we're going to get a X-Men and Star Trek crossover next?)

Echowarrior

Citizen
It has happened in comics before - like the one where the Cybermen and Borg teamed up.

(So does that mean we're going to get a X-Men and Star Trek crossover next?)

X-Men and Star Trek crossed over in the comics (and novels) before, and I was satisfied in that case.

Now, I'm not complaining about the comics crossover - that was awesome, and I'm glad that they did it. Now, however, I think they should be a little more ambitious than a comic or a mobile game. A televised crossover would be very difficult to pull off, and probably a nightmare in terms of rights arrangements, but hot damn it would be awesome.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
X-Men and Star Trek crossed over in the comics (and novels) before, and I was satisfied in that case.

Now, I'm not complaining about the comics crossover - that was awesome, and I'm glad that they did it. Now, however, I think they should be a little more ambitious than a comic or a mobile game. A televised crossover would be very difficult to pull off, and probably a nightmare in terms of rights arrangements, but hot damn it would be awesome.
A lower decks crossover would be fine for me. An alternate reality where both parties end up in wouldn't be out of the ordinary.

Echowarrior

Citizen
A lower decks crossover would be fine for me. An alternate reality where both parties end up in wouldn't be out of the ordinary.
Yeah, but isn't Lower Decks ending this season? Plus, if they were going to announce a crossover there, we would've seen some sort of teaser for it.

Plus, I get the feeling that if they were going to go all the way, they'd want to have the crossover happen on the Enterprise. How epic would that be, for the crossover to appear on Strange New Worlds?

Top Bottom