Aliens Romulus

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
My first thought: Wait, they're doing a Star Trek crossover?!

My second thought: They're doing a....*goes away to count for a minute*...seventh or ninth Aliens move, depending on how you want to count?!

My third thought, after finally watching the trailer: Meh. It actually just looks like a remake of the first one, to be honest. Nothing against it, but it doesn't excite me, either.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I'm optimistic. Is it going to be a big franchise revival? Probably not. But Fede Álvarez isn't a hack, and his thriller/horror credentials are about the best you could hope for this franchise. Being an "interquel" helps sidestep issues of continuity, though it sounds to have a LOT of similarities with the acclaimed Alien Isolation. Given Isolation was the best Alien "thing" made in 30 years...I hope that bodes well.

Since it also started as a Hulu streaming exclusive, hopefully, the magic from Prey will rub off.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Well, two of my three thoughts are still relevant.

...I'll admit it. I got tricked. Honestly, since I read it was originally supposed to release for Hulu but got bumped up for a theatrical run, I thought maybe the special effects were just spotty.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
It is AI art.

It's a fake trailer.
I frickin’ HATE people like Screen Culture. I hate that their cobbled together fanart is SEO optimized clickbait to get as high or higher rankings than official sources. At least in the old days, they put in the effort of pulling together footage from other films, but with AI? Now they can pump these this clickbait garbage out with even greater speed.

Caldwin

Meow!
Citizen
I hate shit like that. It's one thing if it notes that it's a "fan made trailer" in the title. Ut to make something like that and pass it off as official, it seems like the studio would want to try and fight shit like that.

DefaultOption

Sourball
Citizen
Yeah. Not to derail the thread, but not only was it a great Predator film, the cinematography in Prey was absolutely gorgeous and clearly intended for movie theaters, and it's a shame it got dumped on streaming.

Although at least that's better than just throwing out already completed movies like WBD is doing, so I'm not going to complain too much.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Saw it. Kinda love Fede Alvarez for Don't Breathe and Evil Dead. Thought this was... normal, even less scary than what I'm used to from his other works.

But I liked it a lot. Still very tense. I liked that they were dumb 20somethings hence acting dumb at times.

There's dumb stuff that I need physics and story clarification.

Why does the cold containment room have open slots on the door?

Why didn't the acid pool into balls in zero gravity?

Why did the girl inject herself again? Like, did she look at the package picture, assume it was medicine and decided to use it? I feel like a missed a scene or something.

The horrible guy died by acid eating his chest. Have we seen that before? How accurate is that in real life? Like he just convulsed and died. If it was dissolving his heart, wouldn't he, I dunno, be frantic then die slowly? It's morbid but I thought it was a horrifying way to go in my head but was disappointed that he did too abruptly. Unless that's how it really is in real life.

Fede's pattern is to kill the heroic lead. Three for three. But the guy here didn't get to do anything heroic for his death.

Ultra Magnus13

Citizen
Saw it. Kinda love Fede Alvarez for Don't Breathe and Evil Dead. Thought this was... normal, even less scary than what I'm used to from his other works.

But I liked it a lot. Still very tense. I liked that they were dumb 20somethings hence acting dumb at times.

There's dumb stuff that I need physics and story clarification.

Why does the cold containment room have open slots on the door?

Why didn't the acid pool into balls in zero gravity?

Why did the girl inject herself again? Like, did she look at the package picture, assume it was medicine and decided to use it? I feel like a missed a scene or something.

The horrible guy died by acid eating his chest. Have we seen that before? How accurate is that in real life? Like he just convulsed and died. If it was dissolving his heart, wouldn't he, I dunno, be frantic then die slowly? It's morbid but I thought it was a horrifying way to go in my head but was disappointed that he did too abruptly. Unless that's how it really is in real life.

Fede's pattern is to kill the heroic lead. Three for three. But the guy here didn't get to do anything heroic for his death.

Not sure how I missed the thread, but saw it opening night and really liked it. Easily the 3rd best in series.

I'm not a zero gravity expert, but my thought would be that it would stay in the spray pattern created from the energy the bullets transferred to it.

I think she was aware from the conversation earlier that it could "save" her.

That death was not very clear on screen. I had the same problem with the Bjorn scene the first time. So I watched extra close the next time. He gets the tail uppercut that seems to just slash the front of his face across his eye. He falls to the ground and gets some acid dribble on his arm, and then a big glob on his chest. He panics and claws at the big glob on his chest. Then we get the shot of his fingers dissolving from sticking them in the glob. After that we get the blood burst, that I think is suppose to be the acid rupturing his heart.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Hmm, I'm not actually sure how thicker liquid behaves in zero g but the acid doesn't seem goopy enough.

Wasn't she unconscious?

Hey, yeah, the slash! I actually thought he died from that already. I don't recall the blood burst but, well, you don't die instantaneously when your heart stops... right?

Top Bottom