G1 Marvel Comic Collections

Shadewing

Citizen
Didn't IDW reprint much of the G1 Marvel comics in several graphic novel like collections? I have a friend wanting to find them, or a good place to get the orginal for non-insane prices.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Yes, IDW did several reprints of the Marvel G1 comics during its tenure as a Transformers comic licensee.

The Transformers: Generations (2006-2007)
A 12-issue run of random Marvel US issues reprinted with brand new covers, consisting of #7, #13, #14, #16, #17, #18, #24, #25, #27, #29, #30, and #31.

Classic Transformers (2008-2010)
IDW's first attempt at reprinting the entire Marvel US run in collected omnibus form, but sadly editing or even omitting certain issues featuring Marvel-owned characters like Spider-Man and Circuit Breaker (up until they were allowed to use them for the final two volumes). This run featured six volumes:
  • Volume 1 - Reprints #1-2, #4-8, and #10-16 (#3 and #9 are summarized)
  • Volume 2 - Reprints #17-21 and #24-32 (#22-23 are summarized)
  • Volume 3 - Reprints #33-44 and #46 (#45 is summarized)
  • Volume 4 - Reprints #47-61
  • Volume 5 - Reprints #62-74
  • Volume 6 - Reprints #75-80, Headmasters #1-4, and Transformers: The Movie #1-3

The Transformers Classics (2011-2015)
IDW's second attempt at reprinting the entire Marvel US run, this time including everything and more that was left out of the first attempt, and remastering all the issues (these are the ones I personally own). This run featured eight volumes:
  • Volume 1 - Reprints #1-13
  • Volume 2 - Reprints #14-25
  • Volume 3 - Reprints #26-38
  • Volume 4 - Reprints #39-50
  • Volume 5 - Reprints #51-64
  • Volume 6 - Reprints #65-76
  • Volume 7 - Reprints #78-80, Headmasters #1-4, and Transformers: The Movie #1-3
  • Volume 8 - Reprints every single Transformers: Universe character profile in alphabetical order, and G.I. Joe and the Transformers #1-4

There is more to cover, but I'm pressed for time at the moment. I'll come back to finish the rest of it later.

Last edited:

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I was so glad to get Classics volume 8. I'd always wanted the Universe profiles all in one collection, and in better quality than the somewhat meh condition floppies I'd bought in the interim. Plus those would be lacking the follow-up profiles published in the comics later on.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
The older Titan Books reprints included Headmasters, but (probably for rights reasons) left out GI Joe.

Actually found that volume a couple of months ago. I think that was the only Titan reprint I was missing. Don't think they ever did the profiles.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Back to finish off what I started.

Transformers Magazine (2007)
Four magazine issues that each reprinted one story from all three companies: Marvel, Dreamwave, and IDW. Below are the Marvel reprints included therein:
  • Transformers Magazine #1 - Reprints #42
  • Transformers Magazine #2 - Reprints #44
  • Transformers Magazine #3 - Reprints #56
  • Transformers Magazine #2 - Reprints #57

G.I. Joe/Transformers (2012-2013)
Three volumes that reprinted the crossovers between Transformers and G.I. Joe that were originally produced by Marvel and Devil's Due Press. Thus, only the first volume is relevant here:
  • G.I. Joe/Transformers Volume 1 - Reprints G.I. Joe and the Transformers #1-4, three pages from G.I. Joe #138 (just the pages with Transformers on them, the rest of the issue is summarized), and G.I. Joe #139-142 (the crossover that led into the Marvel G2 comics).

The Transformers Classics Compendium, Vol. 1 (2016)
The first four volumes of The Transformers Classics were released together in this one big compilation release, with a monster page count of 1148. As such, it reprints Issues #1-50! There was no second compendium after this one to complete the run, alas.

Now for the Marvel UK content.

The Transformers: Best of UK (2007-2009)
Similar to the aforementioned The Transformers: Generations, this was a series of reprints for select Marvel UK stories (and the odd Marvel US story mixed in). There were multiple mini-series with multiple stories contained therein:
  • The Transformers: Target: 2006 - Reprints all 11 parts of "Target: 2006" reprinted across five issues
  • The Transformers: Best of UK: Dinobots - Six issues reprinting "The Icarus Theory", "Dinobot Hunt!", "Victory!", "In the National Interest", and Marvel US #8
  • The Transformers: Best of UK: Space Pirates - Five issues reprinting "Space Pirates!", "Worlds Apart!", and "Wrecking Havoc!"
  • The Transformers: Best of UK: Time Wars - Five issues reprinting "Dry Run!", "Altered Image!", "All in the Minds!", "Firebug!", and "Time Wars"
  • The Transformers: Best of UK: City of Fear - Five issues reprinting "City of Fear!", "Legion of the Lost!", "Meltdown!", "Enemy Action!", and "Deadly Games!"
  • The Transformers: Best of UK: Prey - Five issues reprinting "Prey!", "...The Harder They Die!, "Under Fire!", "Distant Thunder!", "What's in a Name?", "Resurrection!" and "Grudge Match!"

Omnibuses
Smaller-format TPBs containing various reprinted Transformers comics from IDW, Marvel, and Dreamwave. Below is the only one that reprinted any Marvel stories:
  • Transformers: Best of UK Omnibus (2009) - Reprints the contents of the aforementioned Best of UK: Dinobots, Best of UK: Space Pirates, and Best of UK: Time Wars

The Transformers Classics UK (2011-2014)
The crown jewel of IDW's Marvel UK reprints, James Roberts personally spearheaded this series that aimed to reprint EVERY single Marvel UK story, both from the comics and the Annuals (including the prose stories). As the title implies, it was a companion series to The Transformers Classics series of Marvel US reprints. Included within the pages of these volumes weren't just the UK stories but also a huge number of extra special bonus content, including vintage adverts and ephemera, extensive interviews with as many of the original creatives involved in the production of these UK stories, Roberts's own personal recollections of his childhood experiences reading these stories when they were first released back in the 80s, and an in-depth history of Marvel UK itself in relation to its production of the UK Transformers comics year-by-year. Sadly, this series was canceled after only five volumes due to Roberts's departure from IDW and the company's own financial woes at the time, leaving the solicited Volume 6 unreleased and Volumes 7 and 8 never even conceived.
  • Volume 1 - Reprints "Man of Iron!", "The Enemy Within!", "Raiders of the Last Ark", "Robot War!", "Decepticon Dam-Busters!", "The Wrath of Guardian!", "The Wrath of Grimlock!" "Robot War II", "Christmas Breaker!", "Crisis of Command!", "Plague of the Insecticons!", "And There Shall Come...a Leader!", "Missing in Action", and "Hunted!"
  • Volume 2 - Reprints "The Icarus Theory", "Dinobot Hunt!", "Victory!", Optimus Prime fact file from the 1986 Annual, "The Special Teams Have Arrived", "Robot Buster!", "Devastation Derby!", "Robot War III", "Second Generation!", Megatron fact file from the 1986 Annual, "And Now... The Dinobots" fact file, "In the National Interest", "In the Beginning...", "To a Power Unknown!", "The Return of the Transformers", "The Mission", and "State Games"
  • Volume 3 - Reprints "Target: 2006", "Cybertron: The Middle Years!", "Prey!", "...The Harder They Die!", "Under Fire!", "Distant Thunder!", "The Gift", "Fallen Angel", and "Resurrection!"
  • Volume 4 - Reprints "Wanted: Galvatron — Dead or Alive!", "Burning Sky!", "Hunters", "Fire on High!", "Vicious Circle!", "Ancient Relics!", "Worlds Apart!", "Kup's Story!", "Headhunt", "What's in a Name?", "Grudge Match!", "Ladies' Night", "Stargazing", "Ark Duty", and the "Headmasters Saga" ("Doomsday for Nebulos", "Stylor's Story", and "The Final Conflict")
  • Volume 5 - Reprints "The Legacy of Unicron!", "Enemy Action!", "Salvage!", "City of Fear!", "Legion of the Lost", "Meltdown", "Deadly Games!", "Wrecking Havoc", "The Saga of the Transformers So Far", "Prime Bomb!", "Peace", and the German version of the catalog comic released by Milton Bradley in mainland Europe

• Volume 6 - Was supposed to reprint "The Big Broadcast of 2006", "Space Pirates!", "Firebug!", "Dry Run!", "Cold Comfort and Joy!", "Altered Image!", "All in the Minds!", "Time Wars", and "The Fall and Rise of the Decepticon Empire."

Now for the reprints that mixed US and UK issues, as well as some G2 issues.

Themed collections
Assorted Transformers comic reprint collections centered around a particular theme. Below are the ones with reprinted Marvel stories:
  • The Transformers: Greatest Battles of Optimus Prime and Megatron (2007) - Reprints Marvel US G1 #4 and #24, and Marvel G2 #6
  • The Transformers: The Best of Simon Furman (2007) - Reprints Parts 3 and 8 of the UK comic story "Target: 2006", Marvel US G1 #62, #70, #71, and #75, and the "Tales of Earth" portions of Marvel G2 #7-8
  • The Transformers: Best of Optimus Prime (2010) - Reprints Marvel US #48 and the UK annual comic story "And There Shall Come... A Leader!"
  • The Transformers: Best of Megatron (2010) - Reprints Marvel US #24 and #78, and the UK comic story "Aspects of Evil!: Megatron"
  • The Transformers: Best of Grimlock (2010) - Reprints the UK comic stories "The Wrath of Guardian!" and "The Wrath of Grimlock!", the UK annual comic story "Victory!", Marvel US G1 #27, the UK comic story "The 4,000,000 Year Itch!", Marvel US G1 #76, and the "Devices and Desires!" portion of Marvel G2 #4
  • The Transformers: Best of Starscream (2010) - Reprints the UK comic stories "The Enemy Within!" and "Stargazing", Marvel US #50, and the UK comic stories "Fallen Star!" and "The Lesser Evil!"
  • Transformers: Regeneration One 100-Page Spectacular (2012) - Reprints Marvel US #76-80 (note that #77-78 have been edited to remove/obscure Circuit Breaker)
  • The Transformers 30th Anniversary Collection (2013) - Reprints Marvel US G1 #1 and #17, "Victory!", Part 8 of "Target: 2006", Marvel US G1 #69, and the "Tales of Earth" portions of Marvel G2 #4-5
  • Transformers 100-Page Giant: Power of the Predacons (2020) - reprints the UK comic stories "What's In a Name?" and "Grudge Match!"
  • Transformers '84: Legends & Rumors 100-Page Giant (2021) - reprints Marvel US #1, #33, and #34
  • Transformers: Best of Optimus Prime (2022) - reprints Marvel US #24
  • Transformers: Best of Megatron (2022) - reprints Marvel US #70
  • Transformers: Best of Hot Rod (2022) - reprints the UK comic stories "White Fire" and "Peace"
  • Transformers: Best of the Rarities (2022) - This is a very special release for Marvel G1 fans, as it contains some pretty rare content within its pages. Upfront are five never-before-released newspaper comic strips originally made for the UK paper Sunday Times, but were ultimately never released until this book, and are written to take place in the Marvel continuity. Additionally, it reprints the Marvel UK stories "Deathbringer", "The Winds of Change!", Dreadwind's Xmas!", "Two Megatrons!", "Another Time & Place", "Perchance to Dream: Galvatron", "Starting Over!", the Marvel G2 Halloween special "Ghosts!", the Marvel US-produced Christmas comic special "The Night the Transformers Saved Christmas" originally published in Women's Day magazine, and the European Milton Bradley catalog comic officially translated into English!
  • Transformers: Best of Bumblebee (2022) - reprints Marvel US #16
  • Transformers: Best of Arcee (2022) - reprints the UK comic story "Aspects of Evil!: Galvatron"
  • Transformers: Best of Grimlock (2022) - reprints the UK annual comic story "Victory!" and the "Devices and Desires!" portion of Marvel G2 #4
  • Transformers: Best of Shockwave (2022) - reprints Marvel US #5 and the UK comic stories "Aspects of Evil!: Shockwave" and "Internal Affairs!"

Last edited:

Magnusblitz

Citizen
I was so glad to get Classics volume 8. I'd always wanted the Universe profiles all in one collection, and in better quality than the somewhat meh condition floppies I'd bought in the interim. Plus those would be lacking the follow-up profiles published in the comics later on.

Damn I didn't know this existed, now I'm sad I missed it - like you say, a full collection of all the Universe profiles in one place is super handy. Something to hunt for I suppose.

Top Bottom