Hasbro and Mattel to produce co-branded items

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
From the front page.

Ei8mbb7WoAETP8J.jpg

Currently it's just Barbie-themed Monopoly and ROTB-themed UNO, with Transformers-based Hot Wheels in early 2024.

The Phazer

Citizen
Not expecting that much here, but I guess it's possible it will result in some more Mattel brand Crossover figures?

Reuse ROTB Cheetor's engineering as MOTU Battlecat? A licensed Thomas Transformer?

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Not expecting that much here, but I guess it's possible it will result in some more Mattel brand Crossover figures?

Reuse ROTB Cheetor's engineering as MOTU Battlecat? A licensed Thomas Transformer?

Who knows, maybe a use of Legacy Bulkhead as He-man or Jhiaxus but with the sword instead of guns, but its a case of how well the partnership lasts and if both companies profit in the long run!

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
I wonder what that Hot Wheels deal means for any future Jada offerings?

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
This is still cool to see even if nothing particularly interesting comes of it. These companies are just competitors. They don't need to be enemies.

Well they say keep your friends close and your enemies closer, so this is kind of like that, but between two major toy companies

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Here's the press release:

Mattel and Hasbro Enter into Licensing Agreements to Launch Monopoly: Barbie Edition, Transformers Hot Wheels, and Transformers UNO

PAWTUCKET, R.I., and EL SEGUNDO, Calif. – April 24, 2023 – Hasbro, Inc. (NASDAQ: HAS) and Mattel, Inc. (NASDAQ: MAT) today announced that they have entered into multi-year licensing agreements to create co-branded toys and games from some of their most popular brands.

Hasbro will create Barbie branded Monopoly games launching in fall 2023. Mattel will produce Transformers branded UNO games, slated for release later this year, and Transformers branded Hot Wheels vehicles, set to debut in early 2024.

Hasbro and Mattel are launching this collaboration against the backdrop of two major theatrical releases this summer, with Hasbro’s Transformers: Rise of the Beasts from Paramount on June 9, 2023, and Mattel’s Barbie from Warner Bros. on July 21, 2023.

“We are excited to pair some of the most popular brands together for the first time,” said Nick Karamanos, Senior Vice President of Entertainment Partnerships at Mattel. “This collaboration features world-class IP, celebrates the timeless appeal of these brands, and creates unique play opportunities for fans.”

“With the major theatrical releases of the Transformers and Barbie movies in summer 2023, we’re excited to bring brand-new play experiences to fans, families, and movie and toy lovers all around the world,” said Casey Collins, President, Global Licensed Consumer Products & Business Development. “Working with iconic brands in pop culture truly showcases our strategy in action, as we continue to expand our product experiences for audiences everywhere.”

Per Circana, Barbie, Hot Wheels, UNO, and Monopoly are the top-selling brands globally in their respective categories of dolls, vehicles, and board games.*

For updates, follow @Mattel and @Hasbro on Instagram and Facebook.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Hey Mattel, if you want some filler characters for MOTU, the pretender shells are right there and you've already licensed WWE and Sun-Man.

I doult that will ever happen, if anything, Hasbro is likely to take the shell looks and turn them into proper transformers as most of the bots who were the inner robot aren't exactly very memorable in terms of looks outside of Metalhawk as they all look very similar when not in their shells, at least the ones from Masterforce, thou speaking of Pretenders, I would like to see a updated verison of Thunderwing as a leader class, something to rival SkyShadow from Titans Return

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I wonder what that Hot Wheels deal means for any future Jada offerings?
Probably not much. Hasbro is probably willing to slice up the license for Transformers as much as Disney has for Star Wars. Jada will probably remain the larger 1/32 (?) vehicles and micro scale offerings with die cast. Jakks will continue Micro Machines (which are a sub license for a license).
This is still cool to see even if nothing particularly interesting comes of it. These companies are just competitors. They don't need to be enemies.

Well they say keep your friends close and your enemies closer, so this is kind of like that, but between two major toy companies
I view it more like, two neighbors are watching flood waters start to nip their property and they realize it's better to work together than try and save their fiefdoms alone.

Some on other forums seem to have REALLY extravagant misconceptions on this deal. To me, I see it as leverage each company's strength with each other's IP. Both tried their hand at the building block segment to failure (Mattel's C3 and Hasbro's Kre-0, respectively), Mattel just up and bought the only meaningful competing building block brand company. Hasbro tried their hand at die cast with Speed Stars/RPM, which garnered no meaningful retail traction. Hasbro's gaming segment DWARFS Mattel's (even if UNO is hugely popular), and that's before addressing the older audiences that Wizards of the Coast caters to. Mattel tried to do Nerf, but that flopped on the back of a license Hasbro quickly snapped up.

I don't believe we'll see too much "stepping on toes" between core segments. Jem and Maxie aren't going to be joining Barbie anytime soon, while Transformers crossovers are REALLY unlikely.

That said, things I DO see? Obviously, we know about Uno Transformers and Barbie Monopoly and Hot Wheels Transformers (which probably means branded "alt modes" and character cars). This opens up to other Hasbro Gaming properties to get Barbie, Hot Wheels and Masters of the Universe. Mattel still makes Rock'em Sock'em Robots, ripe for a Transformers version.
Hasbro's vast PlayDoh segment is prime real estate for the aforementioned 3 Mattel brands, while Hot Wheels is now open to the likes of GI Joe and MASK.
Adding Hasbro's IP to Mega Construx would really open up the potential to build on that segment for Mattel (and many fans have been clamoring for GI Joe in the style of the Call of Duty sets for a LONG time). Transformers, GI Joe and My Little Pony would all provide strong momentum for Mega Brands. On the other hand, Masters of the Universe is IDEAL for a crossover with Magic The Gathering.

We'll see how it goes, but his could be a HUGE game changer down the line as the nature of the toys market shifts.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
This is about as big news as the recent Bandai/Takara-Tomy crossover toys, which led to, amongst other things, a barely transforming Doremon toy set.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
The weird part is, I have seen Barbies of everything from Star Trek to Queen Elizabeth, so I am more surprised that such a thing hasn't happened already...

Top Bottom