IDW G5 Set YOur Sail #5

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Previously, on My Little Pony...
SYS_04_7.png

Wow! You just pulled a double-S rare Izzy! Queen of the High Seas alternate art! Complete with confetti cannons! Noice!

Well, we know what would happens if Izzy finds the One Piece now.

Get ready for the fin-tastic finale! See-weed what you've been missing! Stop flounder-ing about and pick up the issue already! Don't make me crabby!

*Whoof* Sorry, this is the last issue of this mini. I gotta get all the fish-puns out of my system.
STL326652.jpg

So, how is it?

...What do you think? Of course it's good!

Art's still the best around. The writing wraps things up pretty well. The only minor quibble I have is that it all wraps up pretty quickly. But, even then, it still wraps up well.

Go. Read this. Now. I'm not kidding! If you were waiting on the trade, I'm sure you can preorder it.

This has probably become my favorite of the G5 comics. Honestly? It might even be my favorite G5 story, period, including EVERYTHING that's happened in the tv shows and games. It's legitimately good. And not just in comparison to some of the other comics. If you like G5 MLP, you'll like this. It's the GOOD STUFF!

D'aww, Pipp takle-hugging Zipp is kind of sweet. She was worried.

"Aww, Zipp, you social media'd for me!" And Zipp will never be the same again!

Uh-oh, Calla Lily's got glowy eyes. That usually means trouble. And she made a crown out of all the magic Anchors she has. Kind of stylish, if I do say so myself. She may be misguided, but she has a future in fashion.

Izzy's getting hugged by the squid...I wonder what that feels like?

It's a twister, it's a twister! Or...uhh...It's a whirlpool, it's a whirlpool!

The sisterly nose boop of forgiveness! That was pretty quick, but oh well!

OOF, Calla Lily gets bonked by a plank of wood. It actually kind of looked like it hurt, good job artist! And Maris has to save her before she falls into some jagged coral...underwater. I don't know why she just doesn't try to swim away, but oh well, currents and stuff I guess.

So , yeah, the Seven Anchors must remain apart. No one person can have all the power. All in all, these do seem to be the superior versions of the Unity Crystals. Far less needy and controlling. Really neat page with the crown shattering and the Seven Anchors splitting up ala the Dragon Balls.

Heh, and everyone has to help clean up the palace since there's so much sand everywhere from the Ersatz Enchantment. Nice touch.

Two Eyed Gilbert finds his way back home! Good for him!

Pipp has REALLY nice penmanship! I guess she probably got royal classes on how to do that.

Okay, a floating concert sounds neat. But, putting the lights IN the water seem like a safety hazard.

It's pirate party time! P-A-R-T-Y pirate P-A-R-T-Y!

And then...Sparky finds out about the Sea Dragons! Sequel hook! As is befitting a pirate story!

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I found this a bit too abrupt. The scale of the final catastrophe wasn't really conveyed all that well. But I think we saw enough along the way (earthquakes, stuff turning to sand) that it still works. Their world is in a sad enough state as it is. This is fixing a broken world as opposed to just preventing further problems.

Overall this is possibly IDW's best MLP story ever, and beats anything from MYM or TYT (though the TYTness was absolutely used to its advantage). This was a complicated story but kinda not. Broadly, it's the familiar G5 story. Their world is a lie. They're not really enemies. It's kinda like the movie, but without ever feeling like a rehash of the movie at all. Just a fresh way to look at some of the same themes.

IDW better last long enough to collect this in a trade. It deserves it.

Top Bottom