Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Saw the first two episodes.

Animation is great. Is music going to be in every ep? I wasn't into it when Static Shock was doing it.

Moon Girl is feels like a female Miles Morales but really should be closer to Static of Static Shock. Lots of slang and hip talk. Dunno if that would be dated.

She's basically girl boss-ing (did i do that right? Haha) through the show and Devil Dinosaur is an afterthought. Just showing girl power empowerment, kids can do anything and brains win. They're good lessons to learn.

Moon Girl can stand alone by herself so poor Devil, aw. Anyhow, Moon Girl's basic powers are launching boxing gloves, jet pack (I still want one of those), googles that scan stuff. And the usual portable machine that does whatever the plot needs it to. And her brains.

Afterthought Devil tried a sonic scream, dunno if it really worked. Behaves like a dog. Eats hotdogs. Other sidekick is Hispanic media girl.

Of note to me would be the first villain, the electrical lady. I was hoping she would be Aftershock, the daughter of Electro from the Spider-Girl series and she was!!!! Loved it! Hope they make more comic references.

Second villain is probably just for the show, since it's an internet troll symbiote.

Anyhow, Moon Girl herself is a great character and would actually follow the series for her (sorry Devil). Makes me think of Sparkle Cadet, a positive Sailor Moon homage of color, from Craig of the Creek. If the animation quality dips, then the story should keep people in (like Star Vs).

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I was surprised by how much I ended up liking this. Moon Girl is fun and optimistic. The animation is energetic and has a unique style. Between her family and her friends she has a decent supporting cast. It's pretty good. The only criticism I really have is that I wish there was a hint of a season-long villain, but that's a really minor nitpick, being more of a personal preference. Villains of the week work perfectly fine, too. The songs might take a bit to get used to, but they haven't been terrible so far.

I'll be surprised if this "original Moon Girl" isn't her grandma, because that just seems like a obvious twist.

They change...A LOT from the original comics, though. In the comics, she's actually a Inhuman (because at that time EVERY new character was a Inhuman instead of a mutant) with the power to transfer her mind into Devil Dinosaur.

Maybe this is a unpopular opinion, but...she was also MUCH more of a stick in the mud in those original comics. She wasn't just sarcastic, she was just downright BITTER about EVERYTHING! She was just unlikable since she didn't really seem to enjoy much of anything. She had NO friends in the original comic, other than Devil, mostly because she didn't like anyone in her class. I guess it made her unique, but it also made her insufferable.

I do remember her being less of a pill in basically every OTHER book she was in, though. It was really just her main book where she acted like that. And I'll admit, I haven't really followed her much after the first 12-15 issues of her comic. Maybe she chills out in the comics, too.

So, for me? This cartoon is actually a improvement on this character on every level. I kind of recommend it.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Ooooh you followed the original comic? You must have a lot of insight on her then. From what I read up, it's really all about her and... barely any Devil Dinosaur? That kinda disappoints me.

I also read that there IS a season arc. Dunno why it didn't start with the second episode. Unless I missed something.

Uuuugh, wow, her grandma being the original Moon Girl did NOT hit me at all, hahaha. Is it really? Is that in the comics?

I would like to see more Devil but, yeeeeah, this is character driven and all about Moon Girl Magic.

Also if this is like Static, her media friend should totally get a superhero persona.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
The "original Moon Girl" thing is entirely this show's invention, I think. I don't remember it from the comics at all. In the comics, her name comes from Moon Boy, a caveboy from the original Jack Kirby comics with Devil Dinosaur. It's also a mean nickname her classmates give her since she's smarter than all of them and is always spacing out in the middle of class since they're teaching subjects at a grade-school level to...*SIGH*...the "smartest person in the Marvel Universe".

That was canon at one point. Not sure if it still is or not. But, she was supposed to have a higher IQ than Reed Richards, Tony Stark, Amadeus Cho, Doctor Doom...EVERYONE in the Marvel Universe. It did not help make her more humble.

And in the comics...it's pretty much like in the show. Devil Dinosaur is basically Lunella's "pet". It's mostly focused around Moon Girl. Devil Dinosaur doesn't get a ton of focus outside of action scenes. There IS more, technially, since Moon Girl switches minds with Devil whenever she gets angry or emotional...which happens a lot in the comic. So she ends up in Devil's body and he ends up in hers. It's...probably supposed to be a autism metaphor.

That scene where she tries to send Devil back home is actually from the comics. That's one of the few moments they actually use from the comics.

Last edited:

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
The Original Moon Girl:

She's public domain now.

I've been reading Lunella since her first appearance because my son was the perfect age for the comic at the time it was coming out and really liked it. (One of his favorites along with Squirrel Girl)

It was a good book.

Fun and interesting and Lunella had a really good unique voice and it was great to see someone smarter than the old white man geniuses floating around Marvel since the 60s but who was Underestimated and had social problems because of it.

I also liked the friendship between her and Kid Kaiju (wish him and his crew would show up more.)

One of the best all ages marvel books of its time.

-ZacWilliam, they do seem to have mostly reinvented her family and schoolmates for the show

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
After just watching another episode...

Moon Girl's personality shift from the comic's extremely gifted kid left frustrated, lonely and stifled by her public school and parents who don't understand to the cartoon's upbeat friendly cool smart girl with large loving musical family is kind of a lateral move that makes for a more fun cartoon but loses a bit of what made her more realistic in the books.

However Devil Dinosaur really shines in the show. He's not bad in the comic at all -big mostly friendly but sometimes dangerous dino. Here they're reinventing him as "What if Scooby-Doo was a T-Rex" and it really works stunningly well. He's so fun, animated in his expressions, cute and like-able here.

-ZacWilliam, I've wanted Moon Girl and Devil Dino Marvel Legends for a while but now I'd really love some DD merch based on this toon version too.

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
This show is amazing. I had very low expectations as most Marvel cartoons have been not good for the last 10 years. But this is a joy to watch. Love the energy and style to it.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
There's a third ep out already?!? I'll have to see.

I want more Devil Dino action but, yeah, Moon Girl is more for social cultural stuff.

But, wow, it would rock if Arsenic and Old Lace from the Runaways make an appearance. Or is it Chase and Old Lace? Arsenic was brought back to life, right?

Real Moon Girl isn't Marvel but EC?

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Saw the third ep Run the Rink. Yeeeeah I wouldn't have a 13 year old run a business by herself, haha.

Her PR friend Casey has two dads?

Is Gravitas anybody? Aftershock was from Spider-Girl so is this guy someone?

I wanna Slyde! A Kid Slyde would be fun.

Edit - I skipped to ep6 cuz I wanted to see how Beyonder looked like. He was fabulous.

But Stilleto the female Stilt Man was niiiiice. I think there was a heroine who used the stilt ability but was killed in the first issue, in a comic series where Jubilee was in a group of depowered superheroes. I forget the title.

Aaaanyhow, I don't get this joke where Beyonder changed Lunella's work into pickles. What's the joke here?

IMG_20230311_044736.jpg

Last edited:

Dvandom

Citizen
Oh, there's more eps up now? There were only six the other week.

None of the Ep3 villains come from the comics, which I agree was odd given that they mined obscure villains for other episodes.

I like how (at least up through Ep6) they take sitcom plots but then mix in Mad Science and a T.rex. Yeah, the "Luna runs the rink and messes up so she has to raise money to fix things" plot would have me changing channels (or streams, I guess) pretty quickly under normal circumstances, but I enjoyed the added sense of...Gravitas.

---Dave

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Holy molecule, they cameo'd Sleepwalker in ep9!

I can't seem to post a pic for some reason but I'll try linking from imgur.

Who are the other guys?

Deathlok
?
Sleepwalker
Darkhawk?
Swordsman
Jocasta
White tiger
Triathlon?
Moon dragon?
Hellcat
Speedball?
?

QUUZz5l.jpeg

Attachments

• received_197896316208865.jpeg
    received_197896316208865.jpeg
    98.5 KB · Views: 104

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
Looks more like Paladin to me.

Which is a shame cause Thrash would be a good bit cooler.

-ZacWilliam, still an awesome shot. I know it wasn't scripted but this should absolutely be the Avengers and/or Defenders line up for this Universe.

Dvandom

Citizen
Thrash usually has a covered face, I'm with Paladin too. And some "love" for D-Man!

---Dave

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Checking the last eps until the OMG two parter.

The Torg enemy looked familiar but he's not... Xemu, I think was his name. Loved that ep for Devil btw.

The Coney island ep was actually scary and serious. Like, is it too scary for kids?

OMG. Well, I dunno why I didn't figure it out. Probably cuz I didn't think it was a mystery. Also, they had people get killed. On a toon like Moon Girl? Dang.

Top Bottom