Need some advice for a costume idea

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
So, as I mentioned in the Anime thread, Haywire3 has been watching a lot of classic anime with me, and one of his particular favorites is Tetsujin 28 (aka Gigantor):
GX024SP_Tetsujin_28.jpg

So I got to thinking, now would be a great time to make a Tetsujin costume. Haywire3 could dress up as Shotaro Kaneda, and it would make a great father/son costume combo. (Or, make him the Tetsujin costume, and I dress as Shotaro for humorous effect)

Problem is, I'm not sure how to accomplish this. I feel like there is some kind of craft foam that would work for shaping the costume out, but I'm not sure what to look for, or how to finish it (paint, sealer, etc). I was hoping some Allsparkers may have gone down this road before and might have some advice?

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
How nice do you want it to look? Decent cosplay adds up fast with materials and tools. There are cheap foams you can use, but the ones not meant for costuming don't have much airflow, so you get sweaty fast.

If you're a beginner at costuming, I recommend second hand clothing stores for Shotaro. Those can be altered or dyed easily enough if it's not a good match.
For Tetsujin: floral wire and/chicken wire and cardboard for the basic shaping, then spray paint. Might not look too good and it won't last long, but you could easily say you got into a fight.If you're feeling ambitious, you could try paper maché instead of cardboard. You could use straps with velcro and/or elastic to hold everything in place. You might want to make the top and bottom pieces separate so you still have some mobility.

If this feels like too much, opt for a more human version of Tetsujin. Blue bodysuit, fake Santa belly or pillow, red belt...

Either way, looks like a fun project to work on with your kid. Lemme know if you have Qs. I have some crafty/costuming experience, but not a whole lot.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I made Transformers suits and props with craft foam before but I don't know where you can find them in your neck of the woods.

Cutting and putting the foam together uses a burning adhesive (Greco?), which has to be handled carefully. I got it on my fingers and skin several times but you get used to it (ow ow ow, haha)

Top Bottom