The Loyal Subjects to relaunch MASK, and other Legacy Hasbro Brands

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Reported by The Toybook, The Loyal Subjects (TLS) has secured a major licensing deal with Hasbro for a number of legacy properties:
Jem and the Holograms, My Buddy, Popples, My Pet Monster, ROM the Space Knight and MASK. TLS has had notable success in relaunching Strawberry Shortcake and Rainbow Brite along with the continued success of BST AXN (particularly the TMNT segment). TLS will be showing retail buyers initial products at the LA Fall Toy Preview behind closed doors.
The posted article also features first looks at Jem and My Buddy. Further in the full issue of The Toybook, it was clarified that Rom products would be in the scale and style of the original 70s/80s products.

This is continuing to build on Hasbro’s licensing business, where lesser or underperforming lines are “licensed out” to smaller companies. Basic Fun currently produces Tonka and Littlest Pet Shop (among others), while Playmates secured Power Rangers earlier this year.

Dake

Citizen
Their Ninja Turtles line looks decent, so hopefully they'll do these other properties justice.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
"Serving it hot and fresh like 85 never left!"...

Why does this line give me a headache?

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
"Serving it hot and fresh like 85 never left!"...

Why does this line give me a headache?
Because it’s an encapsulation of the creative stagnation and nostalgia driven regurgitation that dominates the action (particularly action figure) toy segment?

Or maybe it’s because it reminds you of how old you are?

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
M.A.S.K. was one of my favorite toylines from back in the day. I was a Kenner junkie back then, between M.A.S.K., Dino Riders, Megaforce, and Bone Age. I would gladly welcome all of those back into production.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"M.A.S.K. has all the crazy features, vehicles, small figures with removable helmets, closed-box packaging with that killer logo splash, artwork, and product shots — all coming back. They’re in the same scale, and we’re serving it hot and fresh like ‘85 never left.” definitely has me listening.

msol

Citizen
I've heard the quality of their products is pretty suspect. MASK needs a lot of attention to detail and good QC. It's the only other line I collect, so I'm watching carefully. I have the Ramen Toys stuff so the bar is pretty high to pass here...

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
M.A.S.K. was one of my favorite toylines from back in the day. I was a Kenner junkie back then, between M.A.S.K., Dino Riders, Megaforce, and Bone Age. I would gladly welcome all of those back into production.
Yeah, I grew up in the peak of those "micro lines": MASK, DinoRiders, Micro Machines, Transformers Micromasters, Computer Warriors. I'm still hoping that Cyberworld is a mini-line evocative of that sort of play pattern.

Word was that Mattel was doing some work on redoing Dino-Riders some years ago, but I think the Jurassic World license put the kibosh on those plans.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Yeah, I grew up in the peak of those "micro lines": MASK, DinoRiders, Micro Machines, Transformers Micromasters, Computer Warriors. I'm still hoping that Cyberworld is a mini-line evocative of that sort of play pattern.

Word was that Mattel was doing some work on redoing Dino-Riders some years ago, but I think the Jurassic World license put the kibosh on those plans.

Nonnef is supposed to be releasing DIno Riders inspired figures and armor to add to Jurassic Park dinosaur toys.

It seems like a line that is ripe for a revival. The Jurassic World movies have made dinosaurs in general a hot property again, and strapping aliens and lasers onto said dinosaurs seems to be a foolproof way to make them even better.

Top Bottom