Tell Your Tale Discussion Thread-Salute Our Shorts

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
I mean, they introduced new regions, and another new space to live in: so I'm not complaining about it.

But like background scene of pips hair kinda poofing then deflating to her normal would have been nice. Consistency people, consistency!

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
If it was a salvaged MYM script (or at least a treatment) it explains why the pacing starts bouncing around so much. MYM's crowd budget only allowed Izzy to meet one pony in each location.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Misty's training continues.

Sparky doesn't know what's so exciting, but he's excited.

I don't know what spell Misty was trying to perform, but I imagine this is not even close.

They've discovered a universe where hats are apparently mandatory. Except for Izzy. She's a rebel.

Someone is not super enthusiastic about her job.

Oh. It's a D&D themed escape room. This spellbook is a fan of escape rooms.

More action than an entire season of MYM.

Stahp.

Mind meld?

Racoonicorns are the real villains of this gen.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Wow, for once everyone's just hanging out with not a care in the world! ....I wonder who's going to ruin their peace this time?

...and the winner is MISTY!

Misty can now create...LIFE! And IMMEDIATELY regrets it, like so many of us.

Misty's butterfly creates some sort of reaction with her spellbook. Misty, you should have seen that coming from a mile away. Rookie mistake, really.

Welp, we're heading to Narnia, again, I guess.

The book turned Misty into a bunny-girl. I approve! This book has good taste!

Why is this a fairy tale world, if they got dragged into a magic book? Is this where Twilight hid all the magic?

Questopia! Where they're slightly annoyed that they have to work again! They were enjoying their vacation ever since Discord stopped coming here with the boys for Game Nights a hundred years ago.

"Fluffy Quests" are for a VERY different type of book, Izzy!

Zantorp the Furious! Truly a villain for the ages...probably.

Let's see. Sunny's a witch. Zipp's Little Red Riding Hood. Pipp is a...crystal princess? Izzy's a seapony. Misty's the White Rabbit. Hitch is a dragon. Sparky's a knight.

Gingerbread crabs! Crabs full of carbs! Delicious but deadly! I'll admit it, I'd eat it!

BOOM goes the headshot!

Dragons! But, dragons are our friends! Not this one I guess. This dragon didn't return a library book on time, so this was it's punishment!

The scenery is literally made of paper mache. They are still trapped inside a book, after all. Busting through it probably isn't as impressive as it looks.

I guess this was a race. I feel like trying to crush your opponent counts as cheating, but I guess we're going by Mario Kart rules.

OH, so they have to step on the marking that matches those on the doorway. The editing was so fast, I missed that the first time. Basically a Dance Dance Revolution reference.

Hitch can't dance, because he lacks that rhythm in his SOUL! And maybe because he's carrying a baby dragon on his back, messing up his timing.

Izzy appreciates Zantorp's taste in evil mountain lairs!

Dragon-Alicorn THING! This is why there are no male alicorns! They all turn into something like THIS!

It sure is lucky Zantorp gave Misty enough time to say that word-salad of a power-up phrase.

Misty has gained the most powerful technique of all...Talk No Jitsu! Naruto would be proud!

Oh, he's just lonely, that's why he...attacked the very first people to visit him in who knows how long? Yeah, I don't know if that really makes sense, but fine.

Misty's got a boyfriend! Or...a pet? Eh, there's not that much difference, either way.

The moral is, sometimes we all just need a bunny-girl in our lives. A moral to live by!

"Oh...you're still alive? Huh..." She was really looking forward to rifling through their stuff after they were dead. Who's the REAL villain of this world?

Unfortunately for them, she just sent them to the Space Opera-book world. Izzy's getting a Gundam!

And the book fairy is just called "Book Fairy" in the credits. Huh. She deserves a name. I'll go with Anthy for Anthology! Plus, Revolutionary Girl Utena reference!

Last edited:

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Oh, Hasbro Intern, just when we were starting to gain faith in you...

It seems like Hasbro has accidentally released episode 13, skipping 11 and 12 entirely. But, only in Italian, Hindi, and Turkish.
I'm going to post the video below in spoilers, just in case you're curious, but I'll be waiting until the episode releases in English, myself before trying to watch it.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen

It's another "sucked into a book episode", those poor ponies are going phobic of paper soon enough. But it was well done, touching, even heart warming. I approve.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Odd theme this season, but I'm interested to see where they're going with it.

"At least you know something about your family." That hits close to home.

Poor Sunny.

I'm glad they're all so calm about living in a haunted house.

At least it's trying to be a helpful haunted house.

The TYT crew really love these filly models. How many times have we seen them?

"We'll catch you." I'm curious to see how. Horses are really not built for this.

Zipp's trying to give me ponymotes again.

"And then our civilization went through a cataclysm we still have not recovered from. The end." What a nice bedtime story.

Sunny's first quest item was a telescope. G5 really is MLP's Wind Waker.

Narrator: "She would not be back before they knew it."

I hang out in my memories a lot too. But instead of getting sucked into a book, I just start tripping out until someone snaps me out of it by asking who I'm talking to.

Videomaster21XX

This is how a unicorn comments
Citizen
So I liked it, great to see Sunny's mom.

"I'll be back before you know it" Screw you writers.

Kinda weird the stand for that telescope is still standing there in the same spot, even after the place was rebuilt, and we just never noticed it before.

Soooo is her mom really 'gone' or is she perhaps magically trapped somewhere? Also of course the credits just lists "Sunny's Mom" and no official name.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
We're giving it all away on the thumbnail, I see! Oh, boy, this is going to make me cry, isn't it?

Unfortunately, all of Zipp's ancestors have TERRIBLE, tragic backstories. Their family line is cursed! With...taking bad photos/paintings!

*head-desk* When a face-hoof just isn't enough.

There's not really a lot of variety in Queen-ing styles. It's mostly paperwork. And the occasional beheadings. Savor those beheadings, they come far less often than you'd expect.

"I guess I'll have to work on my disapproving frown." I mean, you probably have plenty of practice from putting up with Pipp's antics online!

...Sunny has AMNESIA, on top of everything else?! Okay, she was definitely meant to be the chosen one.

"My family is DEAD!" And that's why she became Bat-mare!

Thanks, Brighthouse! This place might be haunted, but at least you'll never lose your car keys!

Sunny's Memory Book! Someone literally stole your memories and captured them all into a book! Hope you don't mind!

Blue + Purple= Orange, I guess? Pony genetics remain a mystery. Also...Sunny's mom had the same rainbow-streaks in her hair that Sunny got from using the Unity Crystals? Okay.

"It feels...warm" This scrapbook contains....YOUR MOTHER'S SOUL?!

Well, I guess Zipp is going to be spending all this episode looking at pictures of baby Sunny looking for clues. So much for this episode being about HER, I guess. Now, Zipp will never learn about her Great Great Aunt who became a Pirate Queen...

Baby Sunny is here! Get your heart medication ready! Adorable baby shenanigans are GO!

How'd baby Sunny even get up there? She must have some sort of kung-fu grip!

"Our little Sunbeam!" D'AWWWW!

Although, I guess this means that our Mysterious Voice is NOT Sunny's mom. Probably. This is a completely different voice actress from the last few times.

Oh, the pictures move, too. That's...useful information.

Zipp was not prepared for magic nonsense today. Today was a scrapbooking day!

So, did Argyle learn about the before-times from his wife? Were they some sort of crusading archaeologist duo? The more I learn about Sunny's parents the more I think this story should have been about THEM!

Sunny's mom was looking for something. I'm guessing it's Skyros, the land of the Alicorns, since that seems to be a focus this season. I guess it could be the Crystals, but we already found those. Gotta keep this plot moving!

Homemade pop-sickles? I guess we do know that food preparation runs in her family.

"Awww, baby Sunny is ADORABLE" *The Shippers will remember this*

Twilight would NOT approve of using books as a ladder.

Oh, hey, a telescope! ...I guess, the telescope is probably magic too, now?

I just realized that TYT had to make this "Original Lighthouse" background special for this episode, since they never used it before. In TYT, Sunny's house was always the Brighthouse version, not the original pre-rebuilt version.

So...is Argyle SURE his wife is dead? Or did she just...never come back? And I'm still not convinced Argyle's dead, either, despite multiple sources saying so!

"Your Mom will always be watching over you...from the stars!" Right along with Applejack's parents. And Pipp and Zipp's dad, probably. Unless that's not a metaphor and Skyros is somewhere in SPACE!

Did Sunny bring her telescope with her...out of her own memories?! Okay, magic nonsense is gonna nonsense, I guess.

*Magic Mother Constellation* Sunny's not crying, I'm crying! ("That's Phil's boy!")

I checked again, and I'm pretty sure we never see Sunny's mom's cutie mark this episode. We see Argyle's a couple of times, but her's is always obscured by a satchel whenever she's facing right, where her cutie mark would be. Is that plot relevant or did they just not design a cutie mark in time for her?

And Sunny's mom is just..."Sunny's mom" in the credits. We can do better than that. I dub thee...North Star! We haven't used that one in a while. (I would go with Stardancer, but we already have one from the Blockywockys Special)

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Unfortunately, all of Zipp's ancestors have TERRIBLE, tragic backstories. Their family line is cursed! With...taking bad photos/paintings!

This is why Pipp ditched the royal photographer and takes her own photos.

...Sunny has AMNESIA, on top of everything else?! Okay, she was definitely meant to be the chosen one.

I'm told that most people have amnesia regarding their earliest years. I don't know.

"My family is DEAD!" And that's why she became Bat-mare!

Is this the real reason she made herself a Nightmare Moon costume? What was she planning?

Well, I guess Zipp is going to be spending all this episode looking at pictures of baby Sunny looking for clues. So much for this episode being about HER, I guess. Now, Zipp will never learn about her Great Great Aunt who became a Pirate Queen...

You have a baby Sunny photo album. Would you not immediately abandon whatever else you were doing?

Also...Sunny's mom had the same rainbow-streaks in her hair that Sunny got from using the Unity Crystals? Okay.
[...]
So, did Argyle learn about the before-times from his wife? Were they some sort of crusading archaeologist duo? The more I learn about Sunny's parents the more I think this story should have been about THEM!

Those mane streaks are the mark of membership in a secret society that was supposed to be preserving knowledge and evidence of the before-times. Argyle was never formally initiated, yet one day it all came down on him to continue their work, and dang it he tried.

Homemade pop-sickles? I guess we do know that food preparation runs in her family.

Food preparation that doesn't involve cooking, anyway. That's their curse. They love it, but they can only do cold stuff.

I just realized that TYT had to make this "Original Lighthouse" background special for this episode, since they never used it before. In TYT, Sunny's house was always the Brighthouse version, not the original pre-rebuilt version.

Someone cared.

So...is Argyle SURE his wife is dead? Or did she just...never come back? And I'm still not convinced Argyle's dead, either, despite multiple sources saying so!

Let's see. Their daughter is an orange earth pony.

They dead.

I checked again, and I'm pretty sure we never see Sunny's mom's cutie mark this episode. We see Argyle's a couple of times, but her's is always obscured by a satchel whenever she's facing right, where her cutie mark would be. Is that plot relevant or did they just not design a cutie mark in time for her?

When I used to draw comics (which will resume someday, I swear), whenever I consistently strategically covered a pony's cutie mark, it was absolutely because I was too lazy to design one.

Top Bottom