Atlantic Hurricane Season: Helene Edition

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Gulf Coast Allsparkers, how are we holding up?

My area isn't in the cone last I looked, but I got an official alert that they're handing out sandbags tomorrow.

CoffeeHorse

Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
My power went out twice today and we're not even getting any real wind from this thing. Just rain, and only in short bursts.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
Holding up fine here but I think the worst is supposed to be this evening. Rain...but not as much as I was expecting. The humidity made work fairly unpleasant, though.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
My power went out twice today and we're not even getting any real wind from this thing. Just rain, and only in short bursts.
If your power is supplied through the area that IS affected, power'll go out cause the feeder lines are shot. Those big ol' electrical towers have tolerances that were written back in the 1940's, and no one's given 'em a second look since.

Look up the 1998 quebec ice storm, and you'll know how I know.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen

69762378fe889f61.png

Just saw this posted today - not a good sign for those in the path.

CoffeeHorse

Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I was able to charge my phone and my laptop so that's good. I actually have enough power to use my desktop computer but only if I run absolutely nothing else, and I need a fan more right now.

CoffeeHorse

Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Full power won't be restored for who knows how long. Power company says my equipment is damaged, and it's my problem and there is nothing they can do about it. Even though they agree it could have been caused by this morning's storm related outage, my equipment is my problem.

At least I have lights and fans but I have none of my big appliances. No AC. No fridge. No oven. No washer or dryer. And it's not a matter of waiting for the power company to flip a switch.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
Wish I could donate some of our infrastructure. Been raining non stop but holding up fine so far here.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
Helene has passed. The main city area seems mostly fine but I don't know about surrounding towns or the mountains (which is where it tracked).

CoffeeHorse

Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Well I managed to get an electrician over here. The good news is he says there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with any of my equipment after all. It has to be the power company's equipment, so they need to come fix it.

b37.png

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Good luck with that man. The local providers will fight tooth and nail to avoid sending out manpower and actually doing the job, can't imagine what an american firm would be like when demanding service.

CoffeeHorse

Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I didn't ask for the power company to come back, but there's a fleet of trucks here all of a sudden.

Top Bottom