Batman: Caped Crusader coming August 1

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Ahead of Prime Video’s Upfront next week, they’ve released press material for their new Animated Series (salvaged from Max), Batman Caped Crusader. Produced by Bruce Timm, JJ Abrams and Matt Reeves; with writing by Ed Brubaker, the series is set in Batman’s early days. First 10 episodes go live on August 1, and will feature the likes of Catwoman, Harley Quinn, and Clayface.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
The first trailer is out. LOVE the pulpy feel they got going on. It really does feel a bit like what Bruce Timm and the like would have LIKED to have done with Batman back in the 90s.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
...figures.

Watched this whole 8-minute thing IGN made look like there would be a trailer in earlier, and there wasn't.

Then they go and do the damn clip anyway.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
I binged it this evening. It was mostly fine…but it also felt like a series that was trying to “have its cake and eat it too” in a number of areas.
But I need to make this bit known before getting into the nitty gritty of my thoughts: You guys know I’m a fairly liberal guy, so there’s a lot of “progressive” concepts that, on their own, I don’t mind. What I AM, though, is a stickler for accuracy and authenticity. For a show set in the 30-40s, characters of color and women would NOT be in positions of authority. The LGBT+ characters would NOT be so open about a relationship. Going to my initial statement, I have no problems with any of those in and of themselves. My problem comes from their insistence on being set in a “early 20th Century” and presenting those concepts. And unlike BTAS, the production design does nothing to build that “other reality” of contrasting concepts existing in the same world.

I felt the production design and direction were fairly sterile. Not BAD…but definitely unambitious. Aside from the cars, you could plop any of those background city shots into any DC Animated feature and they wouldn’t be out of place. There is no personality to most of the world, while the direction is competent, it never really plays into its own hype about being a “moody, pulpy” series. It’s not without its moments (The Gentleman Ghost episode being a standout), but it just all feels “competent”. Going back to that “authenticity” fuss I have, I was shocked at how “clean” the violence was. I’m not asking for a gorefest, but presentation of the violence was almost comically “safe”. Plus, being in the early 20th century, the lack of smoking (even for ambiance) was a noticeable omission.
They have a TV-14 rating, but it was damned hard to see its content push beyond TV-PG, if that at times.

In a broad sense, the series has a tendency to “minimize” Batman’s presence in his own series. While it got better, there were several early episodes where he seemed to be a more “reactive” element and it felt much of the actual story drive was being done by other character with Batman being a secondary character. The stories were also not short on Easter eggs, some of which got to the point of being distracting (especially episode 8 and its constant name drops of Robins). Some of these MIGHT pay off later, one was a great red herring, and most seem there for the indulgence.

All that said….
It WAS a generally enjoyable series. My complaints about authenticity and content oddness aside…the actual scripts were generally pretty good. Some of the changes DID make for some nicely compelling twists on existing characters. They new take on Harley Quinn didn’t do much for me, but the old school Clayface was great. I actually DO love what they did with Penguin. Mocking over the name aside, it was a fun reinvention that was still true to the nature of character. Barbara Gordon being a lawyer actually gives her agency in the plots.

And the voice cast were, broadly, excellent. The generic mob voice work got grating, but seemed to disappear after a few episodes. Linklater’s Batman is good, though his Bruce was bit more hit-or-miss. The principals were solid all around, but Bader’s Harvey Dent/Two Face was especially fine work. His take was fresh and compelling without retreading what Richard Moll did 30 years ago. It really was a fantastic run, and if nothing else, I’d recommend watching the last couple episodes to get the most of his performance.

I think what ultimately left me hanging with Caped Crusader was how…safe…the whole thing was. Compared to My Adventures With Superman, which took some chances and cast the show through an anime-esque vibe, Caped Crusader comes across as “Hey, remember that Batman cartoon you watched as a kid? Well here’s a new one done by the same guy, but now they curse and bleed!”.
It’s by no means a bad series. Several of the episodes are fun and the voice acting is generally on point (Again, Bader’s Dent is REALLY good). But it doesn’t tread any particularly new ground, it doesn’t really seem to take advantage of its setting (aside from limiting the tools Batman has) and is often anachronistic to it, and the production design and direction are often dull.
With only 10 episodes, it’s not a huge commitment but not worth paying for Prime to see it.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Watched the first episode of it with my oldest this weekend. I liked it. The voices are great and Alfred sounds so close to what he did in the Animated Series that it makes me happy every time he has a line. The villains work in the classic era, and I love the little pop references from their era that they put in.

Deathy G1

Citizen
I just binged the first season and was impressed. This is NOT the animated series, but it does have the same feel to it in many spots.

I hope season 2 is just as strong.

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
Just finished and its... I mean it a season of a batman show. I'm not really impressed and I don't really get why other people are. The voice acting feels very flat. Animation is very inconsistent and sometimes just looks off. They tried reimagining characters somewhat but for the most part it just doesn't work. The pacing is just a trod, even the action scenes just feel slow.

MrBlud

Citizen
For a show set in the 30-40s, characters of color and women would NOT be in positions of authority. The LGBT+ characters would NOT be so open about a relationship. Going to my initial statement, I have no problems with any of those in and of themselves. My problem comes from their insistence on being set in a “early 20th Century” and presenting those concepts.

That *is* quite jarring, unlike the Howitzer Umbrella mounted on a cruise ship and the literal Cat car which the 30-40’s were absolutely rife with…

I’ve noticed “realism” especially in otherwise fantastical properties is almost always used to justify absolute shit things like bigotry and racism (or Section 31)

It’s fake so if you can believe a dude dresses in a leotard to fight crime you can believe people didn’t have a problem with LGBTQ relationships.

EDIT: I’m not accusing you of wishing that or anything just to be clear.

DarkeklawGW

Immortal Maximal OC
Citizen
The Penguin was truly evil and diabolical in this. And Minnie Driver was an awesome choice for the voice. 30's cabaret showgirl gangboss. All for it.

The Clayface episode was great too. And Catwoman's introduction, yeah sure she's a spoiled rich girl who's no longer rich, that's a great motivation to become a theif.

Oh and this show gives guys my size a chance to cosplay Chubby Alfred.

The show is well written, and that is all I ever ask for in a show. BE WELL WRITTEN. You can ease me in to a lot of other things if the story is good. Great Elseworlds series, great setting. Also having watched a lot of Gotham 1919 - 1939 videos, it's great to see this style brought to animation.

Will watch more.. But got to work in the morning. :D

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Binged it too. I generally liked it because I hated Flass and Bullock. Who the hex is Flass?

Penguin, reminded me of that big boss lady from Long Halloween. Other than being a parent, the gender flip did nothing.

Clayface, eh. I guess there's a ton of old movie references I didn't get tho.

Looooved the Catwoman one cuz she was desperate without looking desperate yet. What I don't get is how she controlled the panther.

Firefly was a great ep for Gordon.

I dug Harley Quinn being super twisted but ugh, why wasn't she cold blooded enough to leave her behind? Guess she might have liked her too? Maybe?

Was waiting for a Scooby-Doo reveal for the gentleman. Hated that there wasn't. Who was the black guy in the white suit?

Loved the straight out crime ep with the hit men. I thought that guy was Black Mask but it was someone named Onomatopia? A modern villain who appeared in the live action Lois and Clark too? Love the twist.

Yay orphans! Can't believe they gave the save to her tho. Who's Natalie? Video in passing said she was a character named Nocturna. Could be explained by science soooo I guess it's ok and not a letdown like the gentleman.

Harvey did not take any gun training or whatever, cmon. I'm glad how it ended.

Good enough show. Going to see how Adv of Superman s2 is next.

Top Bottom