Depressing Beast Wars question

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
It’s also why we haven’t seen Paramount do big remasters for DS9 or Voyager: they don’t feel the return would justify the investment the way the Original Series or TNG would have.
And that sucks because hoo boy does the CGI in DS9 look pretty ass on my 4K TV.

It's like I'm watching footage of an early PS2 game lol.

MrBlud

Citizen
There are fan upscales but even those (using the TNG Blus as 10) only bump it from like a DVD 5 to a 7.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Babylon 5 DID get a BD release though, back at the start of this year. Been meaning to pick it up but haven't yet.

Badgertron

Citizen
Master tapes of ReBoot were found and they are in the process of digitizing them. ReBoot ReWind, on their social media channels, posted some comparisons from what's been digitized so far to the old DVD versions. There is a lot less aliasing and details lost in compression for lower resolution TVs of the 90s are more visually apparent on the masters. I imagine the same would hold true for Beasties/Beast Wars if Hasbro were to ever sign off on giving the show the same treatment.
I've seen it and it looks phenomenal. There are details in those models that were never even seen on broadcast tv. I can confirm the Beast Wars master tapes still exist, though what shape they're in I don't know.

TerraEsperZ

Videogame Cartographer
Citizen
Despite its age, Beast Wars still looks very good in terms of body and facial animation which, at the time, were state of the art for a CGI TV show. The much more recent Netflix War for Cybertron trilogy looks noticeably inferior in those respects, which shows that superior technology cannot always make up for lack of budget/skills.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Despite its age, Beast Wars still looks very good in terms of body and facial animation which, at the time, were state of the art for a CGI TV show. The much more recent Netflix War for Cybertron trilogy looks noticeably inferior in those respects, which shows that superior technology cannot always make up for lack of budget/skills.
The Netflix show also put a greater emphasis on making the environments look impressive more than it did on the characters themselves.

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I don't think we even need the qualifier that Beast Wars' facial animations and constant body language were state of the art for the time. I still haven't seen a 3D animated show that's exceeded it in that particular area. Please find me one.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
War Planets, too, apparently, based on how people on ATT were saying so at the time: "How come Mainframe made War Planets look so much nicer than Beast Wars?! It's not fair!"

Last edited:

Top Bottom