G.I. Joe thread - 09/13/2024: Pulsecon - Dreadnoks, Dogs and Cereal

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
... I dont know what the SAW stands for...
In real terms, Squad Automatic Weapon. (Hasbro calls it Semi-Automatic Weapon, possibly for legal reasons)
It’s basically a classification of weapon used for suppression and high rate of fire. It is the modern equivalent to the old “Machine Gunner” soldier function.
Starting in the late 80s, there was a move away from the large and heavy M60 Machine Gun platform to something lighter and more portable, resulting in the M249 (referred to as the “SAW” machine gun). Something that could be used by a single soldier for suppression and support roles.

I can’t abide someone NOT getting a kick out of a SAW Viper with a saw. I’m CERTAIN that they were completely aware of the irony and humor present.

Dake

Citizen
"Lighter and more portable" being relative of course. It's apparently still a beast to haul around.
Screenshot_2024-09-24-07-53-17-80_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Last edited:

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
"Lighter and more portable" being relative of course. It's apparently still a beast to haul around.View attachment 23599
As you use a picture of THE ROCK to illustrate that point :p

Hey! Those new o-ring figures Super7 is doing for GI Joe? In addition to them showing up at Target and being available for preorder, BBTS snagged the Crimson Twins "Powersuit" 2 pack as an exclusive:

Kind of leaves me in a "collecting lurch". ReAction+ isn't much cheaper...but there's an undeniable charm seeing these kinds of figures out in the market.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
Hey! Those new o-ring figures Super7 is doing for GI Joe? In addition to them showing up at Target and being available for preorder, BBTS snagged the Crimson Twins "Powersuit" 2 pack as an exclusive:

Kind of leaves me in a "collecting lurch". ReAction+ isn't much cheaper...but there's an undeniable charm seeing these kinds of figures out in the market.

I have had preorders for blonde Cover Girl and Comic BAT in since BBTS listed them early way back when; put in a preorder for the Extensive Enterprises twins today. Classified figures look cool, but I grew up on o-ring Joes, and I'm excited to see what other figures Super7 has in store. (Hoping for vehicles some time, too...) Since they're compatible with the Crossover Transformers, they do fit my collection better, too.

Haywire

Citizen
So, spinning off of the discussion and general dissatisfaction with the Super7 Transformers Ark "Playset" (it's really a display stand) over in the Transformers forum, I thought I would discuss more Joe-related stuff here.

1) It seems like Hasbro is pretty much just doing Classified for their Joe offerings, with the exception of the GIJoe X Transformers crossover figures that are scaled to and include 3-3/4" o-ring figures. Otherwise, with ReAction and ReAction+, Super7 seems like the main source for 3-3/4" GI Joe products.

2) So far, the only recent vehicles in this scale have been the Transformers ones. As far as I know, there haven't been any rumors of Super7 taking on vehicles yet, but I do wonder, if ReAction+ is a success, if they will start looking at vehicles in the future.

3) Given Super7's propensity for deep cuts, I also wonder if they might consider larger accessories to go with ReAction+, such as the M.A.S.S. device. Hasbro did release one almost 20 years ago, but it was a build-a-figure spread across 5 sets (and 3 additional figures) and is very hard to come by complete. Seems like something that would be relatively simple to engineer, but could prove popular?

So, what do you think? Would you be interested in vehicles if Super7 started making them? What about playsets?

Personally, I would like to see a Red Rocket Diner set that opens up and includes elements to emulate the old Cobra Missile Command Headquarters. Beyond that, there's many smaller vehicles that I would be interested in, and a few larger ones, though I'm a little leery of modern prices on vehicles. I would be over the moon for another Conquest X-30 reissue with Slipstream, as that was the first Joe I ever had. Beyond that, I don't know, I would be interested in more Joe/TF crossover figures, but pricing is always an issue.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
In general, it feels like Super7 is skewing towards the more stylized comic/cartoon look for the characters rather than Hasbro’s direct recreations of the old toys.
I think that “vibe” can extend to vehicles. I know there were a LOT of times in the cartoon where details were streamlined, or the vehicles were “creatively modified” for story purposes (2 person Skyhawks, Rattlers carrying a half dozen people, 4 person cabins on Snowcats, etc). I really DO think that, license providing, there is potential there.

However, I think the failure of the Cobra Mothership (which actually had a Trouble Bubble bonus offering) REALLY cooled a lot of interest at Super7 for vehicles. While not apples to apples, I think the failure of fans to show up for an iconic cartoon mega vehicle and the first major playset for the brand in almost 30 years (I don’t count the 2009 HQ as a true “playset”) kind of soured Super7. Even though I think had they announced Reaction+ prior, I STRONGLY believe the Mothership would have done better.

I also don’t think pricing would be all that much better than the Crossovers, simply given the niche nature of Super7’s offerings. A cartoon flavored Conquest with Slipstream would probably still run $80-100. I think I would prefer smaller “group” vehicles. Trouble Bubbles, Skyhawks, Armadillos, HISS Tanks (two person cockpits with troop ability in charcoal grey?), and maybe peak out at the likes of Snowcats or Sluggers. I do think there is potential in smaller vehicle/accessory packs.
Some o-ring Greenshits with jet packs and laser rifles? Or maybe a cartoon Dreadnok trike, which appeared in the cartoon YEARS before Hasbro’s oversized toy. Hell, pack in a generic repainted Dreadnok with the bike or a set of the main 3 with bikes for $125 would probably do well.

For now, I’m guessing that Super7 is just seeing how Reaction+ does before doing anymore expansion. I think the success of ReAction+ is going to HEAVILY depend on if they can keep a solid flow of figures with strong character selections. The first wave is pretty solid, so we’ll see what follows.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
However, I think the failure of the Cobra Mothership (which actually had a Trouble Bubble bonus offering) REALLY cooled a lot of interest at Super7 for vehicles. While not apples to apples, I think the failure of fans to show up for an iconic cartoon mega vehicle and the first major playset for the brand in almost 30 years (I don’t count the 2009 HQ as a true “playset”) kind of soured Super7. Even though I think had they announced Reaction+ prior, I STRONGLY believe the Mothership would have done better.
Oh, I was just wondering about that. That's too bad, that thing looked pretty awesome.

Haywire

Citizen

I agree, I do think the Mothership failing to fund probably forced them to take a step back and re-evaluate. I personally think that $600 was a pretty big ask right out the gate with no prior vehicle offerings to compare to for quality. If they had led up to it with smaller vehicles so people knew what to expect, it might have gone differently.

Like you said, a lot will probably hinge on the success of ReAction+. I will be looking forward to seeing what the future holds, maybe they can revisit the Mothership again some time...

Dake

Citizen
Flynn said more than once that the Mothership was their test balloon for a vehicle line. Sadly, S7 specifically and the market in general just can leverage enough volume to not require fairly high prices for stuff.

Haywire

Citizen
Flynn said more than once that the Mothership was their test balloon for a vehicle line. Sadly, S7 specifically and the market in general just can leverage enough volume to not require fairly high prices for stuff.
That's interesting, and I didn't remember that. And, yes, prices have gone up and Super7 is a smaller company and less able to bear those increases. I still contend that $600 is a pretty big ask for an initial offering. Heck, $600 is a big ask for a Haslab, and they have a known track record of making these things.

Anyway, I imagine it's all a moot discussion until we see how ReAction+ fares.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
A few reveals from NYCC. Next major event is 1027, which may give us details on Nemesis Enforcer (shown in package, but never mentioned again by Hasbro).
First big detail is that Hasbro openly reported ”production shifts” in the 2025 GI Joe assortments, leading to product delays. It is noteworthy that the Dial-Tone/Zandar/Saw Viper/Leatherneck assortment is currently listed for release in October 2025. I’m almost wondering if its related to the MASS device initiative and maybe just slowing the roll to allow retail to catch back up to where things are.

Next Retro wave is Rock N’ Roll (repaint, maybe minor tweaks, to prior Classified figure), Viper, and Dr. Mindbender (redeco from the exclusive set without all the extra accessories).

They revealed a MASS Device set with Snake Eyes (v1 in cartoon colors) with a polar bear, and the radioactive crystals. Presumably, we’ll see additional sets with the other elements (Diver Baroness with Tube worm? Cartoon Gung Ho with meteorite?) and maybe a full MASS Device.

Render reveals: Footloose, 60th Anniversary Fire Fighter (realistic fire fighter), and revealed a “Trench Viper” battle set. Featuring a modified Alley Viper with a bunker emplacement. I’m guessing this one is further along given the promo photography included. Digging the digital cameo, myself.

Name reveals: Darklon, Crystal Ball and Snake Eyes (V4, 1991).
Tease- They teased what appears to be part of the AWE Striker. Given the general size/price point for GI Joe Classified Vehicles, this would be on point.
Still waiting on an Armadillo, myself…

Dake

Citizen
It's really tough to imagine a MASS device just selling on its own. It'd be funny if it's a build a vehicle and the parts come packed in with other small vehicles.

Haywire

Citizen
It's really tough to imagine a MASS device just selling on its own. It'd be funny if it's a build a vehicle and the parts come packed in with other small vehicles.
On the one hand, that makes sense. On the other hand, the previous M.A.S.S. device was a build-a-vehicle with parts spread out over 5 sets and 3 additional figures, and by all accounts was fairly difficult to complete (though I somehow managed to have a complete one and I don't recall any undue difficulties assembling it, just the usual killer tube worms, lava, and radioactive dangers).
I would guess for this round, they would release it as it's own set with a unique figure or two, or maybe a new dressed up copy of the original miniseries?

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
It‘s possible that the MASS Device could end up a “Fan Channel” or Pulse exclusive. For all the over-hyped success many fans are attributing to Classified, it remains fairly niche and a LOT of higher cost items are ending up as de facto online exclusives rather than full retail coverage. Then again, maybe the intent behind the MASS device initiative is to get mass retail back on board with the brand after the damage the Snake Eyes movie figures caused to the brand’s broader distribution.
(I recall STILL seeing a healthy amount of SE Classified figures at a Walmart early this year, PLUS huge volumes dumped at Ollies for the last couple of Christmas seasons)
I think a MASS Device, for around $100-150 with a cartoon Destro and scientist isn’t an unreasonable ask.

But to Haywire’s suggestion of a pack in of the cartoon? Not gonna happen. Hell, the only device I have that can even PLAY an optical disk is my PS5. Best I could see happening is a QR code to take you to the YouTube link for the miniseries on Hasbro Pulse.

Dake

Citizen
On the one hand, that makes sense. On the other hand, the previous M.A.S.S. device was a build-a-vehicle with parts spread out over 5 sets and 3 additional figures, and by all accounts was fairly difficult to complete (though I somehow managed to have a complete one and I don't recall any undue difficulties assembling it, just the usual killer tube worms, lava, and radioactive dangers).
I would guess for this round, they would release it as it's own set with a unique figure or two, or maybe a new dressed up copy of the original miniseries?

It was definitely a nightmare to complete because the final component set was a Ross Dress for Less discount dump in limited numbers. I drove all over Houston before I found exactly ONE. So yeah, you were lucky!

I think a MASS Device, for around $100-150 with a cartoon Destro and scientist isn’t an unreasonable ask.

Ooof.

DefaultOption

Sourball
Citizen
I was thinking the other day that they could revisit the PAC/RATs at Classified scale and potentially have them in the same assortment as the single-pack figures, but putting them in a pack with part of a build-a-weapon could work too.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
There should really just be more generic evil villain/mad scientist-type accessories around to use with various action figure line displays. Stuff that would look just as at-home with Destro as it would Wheeljack, Donatello, or Egon.

Haywire

Citizen
But to Haywire’s suggestion of a pack in of the cartoon? Not gonna happen. Hell, the only device I have that can even PLAY an optical disk is my PS5. Best I could see happening is a QR code to take you to the YouTube link for the miniseries on Hasbro Pulse.

I do recognize the reality of what you're saying; a lot of people rely on streaming and the Tube of You for their TV viewing. Physical media is not as financially viable as it used to be. However, the thought of letting someone else curate what I watch always reminds me of this:

Not saying that streaming and the like are bad, there are times when it does give options not readily available. Just saying that, in my opinion and metaphorically speaking, it shouldn't be the only tool in the bag.

Last edited:

Top Bottom