GI Joe Classified Nerf gun reference list

Blazezard

Cobalt corsair
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So a lot of GI Joe Classified guns are actually down scaled versions of Nerf gun, so I decided to put this little list together for reference, specially since I might use them for reference when painting the guns as colour maps, chief among them and most known is the Cobra Island Cobra Trooper.
Nerf Vortex Proton Blaster.jpg
712AwJYIRXL.jpg
71aLMxNxesL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
71lf1A+wlEL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

The Sniper corresponds to a Nerf LongStrike CS-6 - This gun is also found on the Retro Baroness release.
The pistol is a Nerf Vortex Proton Blaster.
The rifle is a N-Strike Elite Rapidstrike - This gun is also found on the Retro Baroness & Cobra infantry release.

I'll update this thread shortly, but feel free to provide your own contributions.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Out of curiosity, would they now need to license the old guns they used to come with?

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
In most cases, probably not.

There's a reason most gun companies out there sell an AR-15 but call it "FU-15" or whatever. Colt still owns the AR-15 trademark, but the design itself is totally fair game at this point. So just call it something else and you're good.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
In most cases, probably not.

There's a reason most gun companies out there sell an AR-15 but call it "FU-15" or whatever. Colt still owns the AR-15 trademark, but the design itself is totally fair game at this point. So just call it something else and you're good.
I think it depends. The same reason Hasbro has made things like a “pseudo-Corvette” for Tracks in Kingdom. They can’t be a full on reproduction, but they get can still “get the idea” across. I think the same thing is true of gun designs, which is why I think GI Joe, in particular, skews towards made up stuff that “evokes” certain real world designs. I think in most cases, toy makers “tweak” the designs enough to avoid any trademark issues.

All that said, I wish GI Joe would continue to stick with adapting Nerf designs to the toys. GI Joe should be FUN and I think basing weapons on Hasbro’s catalog of Nerf designs feeds into that idea of “fun” and I think helps keep a layer of “fantasy” the GI Joe brand really needs. As is, the nature of Nerf has lead to some really neat weapon designs that are totally “functional” with a touch of fantasy.

Top Bottom