IDW G5 Maretime Mysteries #2

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Previously, on My Little Pony...
3382209__safe_idw_official+comic_misty+brightdawn_sunny+starscout_earth+pony_ghost_ghost+pony_pony_unicorn_g5_maretime+mysteries+1_my+little+pony-colon-+maretim.png

"But FIRST...did anyone remember to order the pizza? I can't DM without snacks! Unless you want all your characters to join me in the afterlife because I feel hangry."

Do not pass Go, Do not collect 200 bits, Go directly to...
2326808_xl.jpg

So, how is it?

This is still a really solid comic. More things are happening now that the game is afoot. So, it's more eventful than the last issue. The dialogue is still just so-so, solid enough, but it doesn't really stand out that much. Some of the riddles we get during the game feel a little less fun, because they're about NEW locations mostly only mentioned last issue, rather than anything we have any history with from the shows. So we, the audience, have less of a chance to solve these riddles alongside the cast, which makes them a little less fun than they could be. But, still, the writing is probably slightly above average for a pony comic. And they are fleshing out Maretime Bay a little. Even though, i doubt the shows or video games will end up referencing this comic later. Still, the attempt is appreciated.

Art wise, I have no complaints. They're staying pretty on model with the Tell Your Tale designs. It looks like the show. It's expressive. It's good.

So, yeah, I'm still recommending this. It's looking to be a fun little miniseries. A little "standard", but solid enough to be a enjoyable romp with these characters.

Everyone seems genuinely surprised about releasing a ghost from their board game. I don't know why. It's right there on the box. "For Ages 6 to 600" What did you think that meant?

Apparently, this ghost can create a magical dome around Maretime Bay. Just like Twilight did to keep Opaline out. Hmm...this would be interesting, if I actually thought the writer had been planning that.

The Spirit made Misty cry. By the time this miniseries is over, I'm expecting this Ghost to die a second time!

The worst thing about being trapped in a magical board game for all of eternity is STILL not having all the pieces. No matter what you do, someone always loses a game piece in between couch cushions or something.

And everyone else is stuck going reverse in time while they try to solve the spirit's riddle. Backwards sneezing, backwards eating...that poor bird who's laying a egg in reverse.

And once they figure out the first riddle, the game changes and now everyone's moving forwards in time...but they all have amnesia. Probably for the best. I think some of those ponies would rather forget some of the stuff they did in reverse.

Chocolate covered eggs are good...when they're not actual eggs.

The butterflies are working with the Ghost. Traitors! Misty's cutie mark means NOTHING to them!

Apparently, someone was just fishing in the middle of town. Feels like there should be a ordinance against that kind of thing.

Aww, we don't get to see how the spell changes the townspeople this time around. I'm going to pretend they all started speaking in pig-latin.

All roads lead to the post office eventually. The heart and soul of any town. And the keeper of magical artifacts, too. Most people don't know that.

I don't know why it's a fire-shaped crystal they find, though. Did Maretime Bay burn down at some point in it's history or something?

Apparently the Ghost is male. With the tiara, I was thinking it was the ghost of a princess or something, but nope.

And one more riddle...which sounds like is going to lead them to their local library. Every scavenger hunt always involves a library at some point. It's the law. We'll see if I was right next month, I guess.

Hopefully, we find out the ghost's name at some point so that I can stop referring to them as "The Ghost" or "The Spirit".

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Now that the story is finally going somewhere, I can judge it.

Not bad. We all expected Jumanji, and this isn't exactly that. So that's good. The game board being kinda bland looking is now completely justified since it doesn't actually matter. The whole town is the game board. This is a giant escape room.

The riddles aren't great (What's a hand?) but I don't mind that they mostly point to places we saw last issue. As fun as it would be to use our knowledge of previous G5 stories, making this as self contained as possible was the way to go. And it's making the previous issue matter more. This story got off to a slow start but it wasn't wasting time. That said, the post office kinda comes out of nowhere. That's not great.

Art is about the same. The artist is still drawing noses instead of muzzles. We don't get the little chibi moments this issue, but the artist still had some fun with the chaos in town.

Top Bottom