Inside Out 2 - Now on Disney+

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So this movie has finally come out on home streaming, and we sat down and watched it as a family this weekend.

Spoiler free review:

The film takes what made the first film successful and does it again. The music is great, the new emotions are perfectly done, and story of Riley going through this emotional time is relatable.

Spoiler Review:

So Riley is turning 13, and puberty hits right as she and her two best friends are invited to a high school hockey camp. This makes anything the emotions do go way overboard. On the way to the hockey camp, Riley finds out that her two best friends will be going to a different high school, and Riley now struggles to appear cool to the high school hockey team (called the Firehawks) players at the camp. Her early antics get everyone in trouble, but she manages to befriend the star Senior player named Val. Riley abandons her old friends to be on the team with the Val and the rest of the Firehawks for the entire camp. Anxiety, one of the new emotions takes over control of Riley rips out Riley's sense of self tree that was grown from hand chosen memories, and along with Envy, embarrassment, and ennui, bottles up the OG emotions from the first film and locks them away.

Eventually, the OG emotions break free, and go to retrieve Riley's lost sense of self to restore her behavior, as Riley is trying he best to fit in with the new older crowd and keeps getting embarrassed by her best friends. Anxiety has Riley break into the coach's office to find out what the coach thinks of her. Despite being a very talented player that outshines even the Firehawks players, the coach thinks she's not ready in her notebook. Anxiety believes that if she can score three goals in the last scrimmage game of the camp, beating the record set by the Val when she was a freshman, then Riley came make it on the team.

Meanwhile, the OG emotions are doing their best to get back to headquarters with Riley's lost sense of self, and ride an avalanche of memories that were deemed not worthy of being in Riley's sense of self. Eventually crashing into roots of Riley's sense of self tree with all of the memories mixing in with the hand picked ones from Joy at the beginning of the film and the ones Anxiety has been putting down there. Anxiety has Riley going so hard she crashes into one of her best friends and gets put into a penalty box where she has a panic attack due to her not getting her third score. Eventually Joy get anxiety to step away from the console and all the memories make new sense of self tree for Riley that is constantly shifting. Riley's best friends forgive Riley after seeing her literally breaking down. Joy takes over the controls and the camp ends. Fast forward to high school, and Riley is hanging out with the Firehawks, obviously more comfortable in her own skin. Her two best friends message her from their new school, and everyone is waiting to see the roster posting for the Firehawks. Meanwhile, Anxiety and the new emotions are now getting along a lot better, and they even have anxiety a special chair to relax in.

Over all, if you like the first film, then you will like the sequel too. I give it a solid 4 out of 5.

Axaday

Citizen
I saw it in the theater and was pretty disappointed.

Anxiety was conceived pretty well, I will give them that. Ennui must be French for sullen teenager. He did look bored a lot of the time, but if they hadn't named him, I would have assumed he was sarcasm or dismissiveness or just sullen.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Wait, it released on disc before streaming this time? No wonder it sold out so fast.

I thought the Sar Chasm was a pretty good gag. Both the name and what it did.

Top Bottom