Ranting about quebec: newspark edition!

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
The cancer has metastisized..... Sorry, Canada. Was really hoping the sovereign citizen thing wouldn't take hold outside the US.

Whole thing is entitlement on steroids. Give me all the benefits of living in civilization (protection of property rights, access to healthcare and education, relatively stable economy, convenient infrastructure for travel) while not having to obey any of said civilizations rules.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Alright, I got three fingers of bourbon in me, so I'm going to get this part out best as I can.

Some political asshole made the comment today "quebec is used to protests". He did this in reference to the upcoming trucker convoy heading to quebec city this weekend, and in denigration of ottawa whom has suffered under three weeks of occupation.

Bad news mother fucker: if your society is USED to protests: it means your society and culture ******* suck. Maybe instead of considering yourself badass over the fact that the way you run things literally drives people into the streets with signs and chants, you ******* change your society so it doesn't happen anymore. And considering the folks IN THE STREETS are school teachers, doctors, nurses, lawyers, legal techs, paramedics, and a whole host of minorities fighting to maintain their constitutionally given rights to stuff like: a living wage, freedom of religion, freedom of expression, better housing, better access to services, NOT DYING in hospitals due to racism, an end to homelessness: statements like "we're used to protests" really are less flattering and less productive than you think they are.

You aren't badass, you're just a ******* asshole. And it's time to ******* change.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Ontario is changing their school curriculums, moving stuff that used to be in the realm of STEM classes into the general curriculum. That is awesome, it's an investment into the savyness of their population. It'll make things easier for these kids when they stop being kids and start being adults.

Whats quebec doing? Oh, it's changing the curriculum to include a social class that teaches the concept that if you weren't white, male and french: you contributed nothing to quebec society.

Welp, joy.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Jean charest, formerly liberal, has launched his leadership bid for the federal tories. This is actually a good thing for literally every other party, but not the tories.

See, the conservatives are just as badly split over radicalization as american conservatives. The folks whom are willing to vote for charest will not vote for the extremist poilievre, and vice-versa. So the winner of this leadership race will underscore the ideological divisions in the party, and the very act of bringing in a more liberal contender will either convince the extremist tories to find another party to support, like the PPC (if charest wins.) or convince the moderates that they don't have a place in the modern conservative party (if charest loses.).

Either way droves will leave the tories, and split the conservative vote.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
The federal NDP and the liberals have come to an agreement: the liberals will put forward motions and policies which the NDP are driven to address (national dental care, national pharmacare, highlights amongs others.) and they will then in turn support the liberals on other policies and motions.

So of course, the interim leader of the federal conservatives came out screeching that they had made a back room deal to give trudeau the majority he didn't get at the polls.

YES! Yes, you ******* metastasized lump of a human being: that's how our government is supposed to ******* work. Minority parties form coalitions to better control the houses, better represent a larger percentage of the population: and in your case; act as better opposition parties. Because, and I'm entirely sure you don't actually know this: more votes in house=more power.

You're either outright lying to the country and your constituents, or are so ignorant that you have no idea how the canadian democracy works: in either case you shouldn't be anywhere near politics.

Edit: this deserves a bit of background: for some reason forming coalitions fell out of favour in the mid 90's. I know not why, and the tories NOW are incapable of forming a coalition because of how well they're emulating the republicans. In fact: bergen specifically phrased her tirade as she did so the tories can continue to accuse liberals of non-existant crimes, and they can continue the whole "lock them up" shtick which drives the tories voters out in droves.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.
Citizen
When I read wonko's posts in this thread, I sometimes come away feeling that Canada is some dystopian hellscape just like the one I live in. I know it can't be true though because, let's face it, it's Canada. It can't possibly be that bad.

Last edited:

wonko the sane?

Citizen
The problem with canada is the same as the problem with the US. Politics that no longer serve the people, and willful and deliberate ignorance on the part of the voters and the politicians.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Two days ago the caq (once again to remind people: it's pronounced like the sound of a cat puking.) dropped the provincial budget (on it's head, repeatedly, while drunk: because there are literally no provisions to deal with the inflation problem.). We're also going into an election in october: so of course, they've brought up the whole air canada thing, and made the comment that "the commissioner (referring to the OQLF.... I think?) could impose order" at air canada.

It's probably a record that they waited two days after bribing people to start bringing back up the language war bullshit. But hey: at least we can confirm what's in store for us till halloween.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
the quebec liberals have vowed to vote against bill 96. Which is wonderful: if only for the fact that the CAQ have a super majority and literally everyone else in the assembly can vote against it and it will still pass.

So literally a symbolic statement and symbolic vote. Oh, and the PQ support the bill, so even if it's passing was in question: there still wouldn't be a question about it. But hey, thanks, liberals, for thinking of how much this will affect your voters in an election year and ******* flip flopping on your position. Great job, we applaud you.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
So, there was a blurb on the news ticker this morning: "Shareholders reject proposal to enshrine french in company bylaws". There was no further context or content in relation to this. I figured it had to have been a fairly large company to make the ticker, so of course I had to hit the internet to figure it out.

This is what I found.

French in the bylaws.

It wasn't one company, it was a lot of companies, and generally the shareholders voted against it in large volumes. Why? Because requiring the same thing of private businesses that they do of the habs will do to those businesses what happened to the habs: they will suck and lose. And considering how quebec already has the lowest wages, highest taxes, and poorest literacy rates in the country: quebec can't afford to lose any more.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
HEY! The caq rolled back the requirements on a bill 96 amendment. Instead of english cegep students having to take 3 core program courses in french, now they only have to take 3 french classes "which allow them to continue developping french language skills".

They probably only did this in the face of the new provincial level party that launched and advocates the rights of english: in an attempt to further split the liberal vote.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
The caq revealed their montreal candidates yesterday, and credit where credit is due: it's a fairly cosmopolitan group.

It's a shame that it's not the candidates that are the problem, it's their policies. And when your policies actively discriminate against minorities and the english, all of whom live in montreal, you will not turn any territories here.

Edit: to top this all off, the caq will more than likely pull a majority (if not another super majority.) because of the THREE new provincial parties, two of which are focusing on the anglo vote specifically.

Hundreds of politicians, and still not one electable asshole in the bunch.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
So HEY! Prepare to be shocked!

The caq lied. Again.

At the beginning of the year, they promised everyone whom filed their taxes a one time $500 pay day to help mitigate the cost of inflation. Welp, I checked the status on my tax returns this morning, and had a lovely letter waiting for me saying I was eligible for the $275 payout. I wasn't eligible for the other $200 associated with it because I didn't live alone...

Beg your pardon, but 275 + 200 is still only 475, and the public was promised 500 a person.

Of course, they also haven't mentioned it again, and it only pays out with the solidarity tax credit which is only four times a year, and the next one is in june, so everyone will have forgotten about it by then. Crying ******* shame because this could have really hurt their re-election chances.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Just watching the morning news, and they did this "feel good" story about how a group of seniors in calgary, alberta is salvaging bikes and donating them to high schools. One of the groups members even said "some of them have never even ridden a bike before" and some rep for the school said it's great that the schools are teaching them the riding and maintenance skills for the bikes. You know, warm fuzzies all around! :)

This is just outlining how badly the inequality is out there. If you're in high school and can't afford A BICYCLE, how are you going to be able to afford a car? Where's the goddamn mass transit? When you only have the W option in BMW, you're severely limited in how far you can actually go for stuff like WORK, and FOOD. This isn't a feel good story: it's just ANOTHER primer in how our society is outright failing its citizens.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Legault went on record and said "a bilingual province would be better". Let's be clear here: he is lying, openly. But more to the point: he said it in english, during an election period.

When he says it in french, to the base that elected him: then I might actually believe him. Until then, he is literally just ******* trolling.

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
Just watching the morning news, and they did this "feel good" story about how a group of seniors in calgary, alberta is salvaging bikes and donating them to high schools. One of the groups members even said "some of them have never even ridden a bike before" and some rep for the school said it's great that the schools are teaching them the riding and maintenance skills for the bikes. You know, warm fuzzies all around! :)

This is just outlining how badly the inequality is out there. If you're in high school and can't afford A BICYCLE, how are you going to be able to afford a car? Where's the goddamn mass transit? When you only have the W option in BMW, you're severely limited in how far you can actually go for stuff like WORK, and FOOD. This isn't a feel good story: it's just ANOTHER primer in how our society is outright failing its citizens.

Oh, they'll be able to afford the car. There's always some crook out there willing to indulge a fool in financing their car over a 96 or 108 month term. That's how so many of the people (especially younger people) you see driving around today are in Teslas, Audis, BMWs and the like. The question is, at $2 and up/litre, can they afford to fill it up?

The fact that Canadian politicians are actually acknowledging the affordability crisis is singular proof that it's very nearly reached disastrous proportions , because they always tend to ignore problems until juuuuuust before it blows up their faces. Now, along with the housing problem Canada has had for the last 2 decades which nobody wants to solve, we can add general inflation making essentials like (healthy) food and clothing increasingly unaffordable for the average family in Canada. Vacations? Electronic gadgets? RETIREMENT? For future generations, some or all of these things are going to be little-seen luxuries unless we change course quickly.

Canada has always been an expensive place to live, no doubt about that (although also less expensive than others, like Australia and some European countries). Canadians have tolerated it because the country is stable in an agonizingly dull way... practically approaching stagnant (this, to me, isn't a good thing), very safe, and up until recently a good place to raise a family. The majority may not get rich, but you could have a good quality of life with guaranteed health care. From the 1950s through to the late 70s or so, whether you were born in Canada or had come from somewhere else, as long as you were willing to work, you could get a job with decent benefits and a defined benefit pension that would guarantee you could retire with some dignity.

My grandfather grew up in Newfoundland and started working for the pulp & paper company that had basically built his town around their paper mill. Although that would've been enough for him to have a decent life there, he decided to get an accounting degree via correspondence, changed roles within the company and eventually got transferred to the Toronto area. Once there, still just on a single (and average for the day) salary my grandparents bought a house and raised six kids, still managing to save a ton for retirement (despite having a defined benefit pension that's still paying out to my grandmother almost a decade after my grandfather passed away). A modern couple with two above-average salaries would barely be able to afford that house, and certainly not while also raising a family.

Canada is no longer the country it was, and I honestly don't understand why (other than for the stability) anyone really wants to immigrate here at all, anymore. There are few opportunities, and even if you get a job in your field it's almost guaranteed not to pay enough for you to buy a home. Fixer-uppers start at $1 million, and any property a million or up requires a mandatory 20% down to qualify for a mortgage. Even rent is sky-high across Canada, which is at odds with the high cost of owning property. In countries like Germany, I understand that while the majority of people don't own property, rental prices are extremely reasonable. In Canada, we now have the worst of both worlds, making it impossible for families to ever get ahead. The only way out is inheritance, and obviously not everyone has that.

There are times I've strongly considered leaving just to escape the boredom, but I can't deny that I'm more comfortable than most, both in my job and my life situation. The one thing I can't do, as a single person, is buy a home of my own. If I had a family and children, that limitation likely would've driven me to transfer down to North Carolina or somewhere a while back, where you can buy a beautiful family home for $300,000. The company I work for is American and quite large, and they've facilitated visas/etc. for others in the past. Since I don't have a family, I'm content where I am for the moment, as I know that later in life I will be able to afford to buy into the market.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
The boredom is a feature, not a bug. And given how many, and how quickly, people are falling below the poverty line: american style violence will continue to rise. Between radicalization of certain political parties in the country, and the seeming apathy to problem solving from the rest you'll be trading that boredom for terror soon enough.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Legault claimed, on camera even, that bill 96 will not affect the health care system.

And since the only emotion left to me in regards to politics is schadenfreude, I am deeply looking forward to the day after bill 96 passes when it becomes obvious he was lying. Again.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Alright, so who called the play on bill 96? This mother fucker did!

They opened with not-withstanding, and had unilateral CAQ support, so despite both the PQ (which was the only surprise.) and the liberals voting against it: bill 96 passed with overwhelming support.

They've already started a legal challenge, and are willing to take the fight all the way to international courts to do it: but it won't make a difference. If anyone other than a quebec judge attempts to strike it down, those attempts will be summarily ignored. I can't wait for the hate crimes to start again.

Top Bottom