Shapeways files for bankruptcy

The Phazer

Citizen
https://3dprintingindustry.com/news/shapeways-bankrupt-5m-rescue-bid-rejected-231387/

Sorry for the people here who had work there, but I suspect that's the end of anything being paid out from that platform. I can't say I'm surprised though - they really seemed to make little effort to keep up with the home printer revolution in terms of detail or dealing with basics such as their insane shipping costs.

There was rather a lot of TF stuff that never seemed to really migrate to platforms selling the STLs for home use, so I wonder if there'll be a sudden rush of that now or if it'll all disappear (which would be a huge shame).

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
A lot of the home printed stuff I've seen is better quality than what Shapeways offered. They deserve this.

Dvandom

Citizen
Ditto. I generally went with the high detail plastics, and to get a home printer capable of that level of detail and strength would be pretty expensive. Sigh.

---Dave

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
That's too bad, but as the saying goes adapt or die. Shapeways didn't adapt.
I am glad that I have a friend whose really into printing and has a pretty decent printer and is willing to make things for me.

Gizmoboy

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I haven't put any effort into my Shapeways store for a couple of years now, but I would still sell things from time to time. I never made any significant money with my offerings, but I still made several sales a year.

The Phazer

Citizen
Ditto. I generally went with the high detail plastics, and to get a home printer capable of that level of detail and strength would be pretty expensive. Sigh.

---Dave

FWIW there are lots of people who run small home 3D printing services now who'll pretty much print any STL you send to them if you buy them from Cults3D etc.

For cosmetic parts (heads etc) resin printing is pretty superior to the Shapeways plastic.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
So for a bit, I was in KC for work and just below the lot I was watching was a 3D printing shop that advertises making custom anything.

Echowarrior

Citizen
I haven't put any effort into my Shapeways store for a couple of years now, but I would still sell things from time to time. I never made any significant money with my offerings, but I still made several sales a year.

Your Shapeways stuff was pretty good. I liked it.

Echowarrior

Citizen
So, I placed an order with Shapeways back in June. As of my most recent attempt to check their website - an effort that is very difficult given that said website is refusing to work properly - they claim that the order is being packed. Trouble is, they've been claiming that for a while, and with their current bankruptcy, I'm all but convinced that I'm not going to get what I've paid for.

Now, I paid through PayPal. Should I wait for Shapeways to get back to me, or should I file with PayPal to get reimbursed?

Gizmoboy

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Oh man, that's a great question. You don't want to let it go for too long or you might have problem disputing the charge on PayPal. I guess worse that would happen is you'd take money from a company that doesn't exist anymore if your item shows up and you got your refund anyway.

I know I can't access my store anymore. Luckily I still have all my models on my computer.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
So, I placed an order with Shapeways back in June. As of my most recent attempt to check their website - an effort that is very difficult given that said website is refusing to work properly - they claim that the order is being packed. Trouble is, they've been claiming that for a while, and with their current bankruptcy, I'm all but convinced that I'm not going to get what I've paid for.

Now, I paid through PayPal. Should I wait for Shapeways to get back to me, or should I file with PayPal to get reimbursed?
Honestly, I'd go ahead and file now.

Echowarrior

Citizen
Oh man, that's a great question. You don't want to let it go for too long or you might have problem disputing the charge on PayPal. I guess worse that would happen is you'd take money from a company that doesn't exist anymore if your item shows up and you got your refund anyway.

I know I can't access my store anymore. Luckily I still have all my models on my computer.

Honestly, I'd go ahead and file now.

Well I tried to file a claim tonight. Unfortunately, PayPal is refusing to accept the claim - apparently, me getting free shipping on this most recent order somehow has made things worse for their system. I will try calling them tomorrow. Hopefully, I will get through to an actual human being and be able to make some progress on this issue.

In the meantime, I've raised hell on Pissed Consumer and reached out to the Better Business Bureau about this. I doubt either action will lead to anything, but it makes me feel just a little better.

Gizmoboy

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I will say, a filament printer is nice and relatively inexpensive. However, it can usually only get down to about a .5mm accuracy. Some good ones maybe down to .2mm accuracy. That is fine for a lot of things, but not good for small detailed things. If you are wanting do print things like that, you might have to consider the resin printers.

Then again, I'm sure you probably knew this information. Just throwing that out there for people who might be in a similar situation as you.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Anyone have any recommendations for a decent resin 3D printer? Something good enough to make a presentable TF head, but not a multi-thousand dollar machine? I'm an engineer by trade, so I 3D model in Solidworks all day and I've always been interested in having a printer, but never looked into it seriously.

Dvandom

Citizen
Your local library might have one you can use. Even if you definitely want to get your own, trying theirs will give you a sort of baseline for comparison, since odds are they would have one comparable to typical entry level consumer stuff.

---Dave

Top Bottom