Takara announces T-Spark: a transforming IDW Rodimus and more

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
Considering one of Harmony Gold's licensees released a Jetfire-colored Valkyrie, I think modern HG would probably leap at the chance to a Transformers collab.

Especially because all HG does these days is license out the franchise to toy companies and whatever comic book companies that want to make a new Robotech comic because they think Robotech is a franchise that actually has an active and healthy fandom when, in reality, almost the entire fandom is just 'people who watched the show when they were kids in the 80s and also haven't seen it since then so their entire fandom is based upon their often incorrect memories of a cartoon they watched 40 years ago' and there are barely any new people joining the fandom because...let's just be real here most people who would be interested in mecha would definitely rather just watch the original anime that HG used and not English dub from the mid-1980s that pretended these three separate shows were part of one saga lol.

Shadewing

Citizen
Yeah, that Godzilla x Megatron looking like a snack! Some cool looking crossovers here. I am interested to see the unveiling of the Macross design.

I'm wondering why its not BW Megatron, since then he'd look like an organic monster to contrast "Kiryu"

Sciflyer

Two arms and one smile
Citizen
It's interesting because last night when I originally posted, I only glanced at his robot mode. Didn't realize that he was a straight Grimlock repaint.

I would like to officially amend my original assessment and give it an "eh." The new head is nice but nothing about the rest of it screams "Godzilla!" It seems like this would have been the perfect time to do a Galvatron-to-Super Megatron level of retooling, but it's just Grimlock again :( But yeah, maybe BW Megs would have been a better body to start with.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
For Harmony Gold, I'd doubt Hasbro would partner with them after finally getting then kicked out of their lawsuit with prejudice. But weirder things have happened in the toy industry and if there's a buck to be made...

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
For Harmony Gold, I'd doubt Hasbro would partner with them after finally getting then kicked out of their lawsuit with prejudice. But weirder things have happened in the toy industry and if there's a buck to be made...
And, seeing as that lawsuit was way back in 2013, we currently have a different Transformers team at Hasbro who may not harbor any ill will over working out a deal with Harmony Gold.

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Harmony Gold doesn't have a lot of leverage. Hasbro could negotiate a very lopsided deal if they want to.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
I'll be honest, I'm probably one of the few people who enjoys Robotech as much as Macross; I would very much enjoy a Robotech/ Transformers crossover (but would be cool with a Macross/TF crossover, too.)

Platypus Prime

Citizen
I like Robotech too (have the entire original novel series) but seeing as transforming robots have been a part of it from the start I'm very confused about what different thing crossing it/Macross with Transformers will bring, except probably better defined facial features. Then again, the Zoids/Diaclone/TF cross mostly seems to be a straight beast/pilot/bot thing for each franchise rather than a true mix, and the Godzilla line looks more like Pepsi Prime/Evangelion Prime style advertising of the franchise, not a mix with it. So who knows?

Is that Godzilla Megatron head from someone already out? It looks familiar but not like Megatron.

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'm wondering why its not BW Megatron, since then he'd look like an organic monster to contrast "Kiryu"

It's the stance. BW Megatron would only work for Tristar's Godzilla.

Which I and a dozen other people would love but no one else would.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
It's the stance. BW Megatron would only work for Tristar's Godzilla.

Which I and a dozen other people would love but no one else would.
Don't worry, Cruellock has you covered. ;)

En-toy_Cruellock.jpg

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I may have been thinking of the recent one, charcoal body + accent color. In this case the claws and toes would probably also be painted over in charcoal?

But that one looks gorgeous still.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
I like Robotech too (have the entire original novel series) but seeing as transforming robots have been a part of it from the start I'm very confused about what different thing crossing it/Macross with Transformers will bring, except probably better defined facial features.
Honestly, for me, I think the storytelling aspect would be the best hook: humans who can fight the Cybertronians on a more or less level playing field is something we don't see all that often.

Outside of Veritechs colored like various Transformers, toy-wise, maybe a transforming Zentraedi Battlepod would make an unique take?

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Honestly, for me, I think the storytelling aspect would be the best hook: humans who can fight the Cybertronians on a more or less level playing field is something we don't see all that often.

Outside of Veritechs colored like various Transformers, toy-wise, maybe a transforming Zentraedi Battlepod would make an unique take?
I'm not particularly champing at the bit to see that sort of thing, because then Transformers basically turns into... "every piloted mecha show ever". Fan-gasms over crossovers aside, it just loses something when the unique hook becomes something various others can approximate. This may be why we don't see it a lot, and when we do it's like one character at a time (IDW did have the People's Liberation Mecha Force). Even other piloted/driven vehicles just straight up get written as Transformers rather than getting converted into still-piloted/driven mecha (Gigawatt, Ecotron). Admittedly, the jury's still out on whether that's true for Maverick or Code Red or Party Wallop.

But that angle does make the most sense for bringing this brand into a collaboration.

Top Bottom