The Great Console War is Finally Over

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It kinda got buried in the never ending avalanche of crazy news we live through now, but the first real console war finally ended a few months ago.

Atari finally bought Intellivision. They finally did it.

Uniting Atari and Intellivision after 45 years ends the longest running console war in history,” said Mike Mika, Studio Head at Digital Eclipse, an Atari-owned game studio.

[...]

This was a very rare opportunity to unite former competitors and bring together fans of Atari, Intellivision and the golden age of gaming,” said Wade Rosen, Chairman and CEO of Atari.

The purchase includes the rights to more than 200 titles from the Intellivision portfolio and the Intellivision trademarks.

Yes, Atari and Intellivision still exist. Technically. Which has been kinda annoying for Intellivision fans. 45 years later and some unrelated entity still owned Intellivision's trademarks and games, and defended their claims while doing nothing of worth with them anymore. I don't even want to get into the Amico debacle, which has been vaporware longer than their keyboard. It hasn't gotten them fined by the FEC yet, but it has gotten them investigated by the SEC. Congratulations.

Meanwhile, Atari is still owned by the company Hasbro sold it to, and its current owners have actually been doing pretty well with it lately. This is not bad news for Intellivision fans at all.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Oh, yeah.

NGL, I had no idea what you were talking about with the title at first, because yeah, this happened a little while ago.

Sadly, this came just a little too late. Intellivision's previous owners, the Amico company or whatever it is now, divested themselves of some of the brands/games that made Intellivision... well, desirable, in the eyes of some. Or at least made their library a complete package -- after years of everyone trying to get it back together, too, IIRC.

But yeah, Atari's killing it lately, so hopefully whatever juice there is to squeeze out of this, they do a good job doing it.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
More accurately 'company that bought he Atari brand from it's previous owner buys the IP of Atari's former rival from the current owner of said ip'. Both original companies have been long gone for decades.

CoffeeHorse

Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It's not like this is some random real estate company that bought the Atari name. They make videogames. They bought the name from Hasbro, who used it to make videogames. They're currently trying to reenter the arcade business. This is as Atari as a company bearing the name is ever going to get.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
More accurately 'company that bought he Atari brand from it's previous owner buys the IP of Atari's former rival from the current owner of said ip'. Both original companies have been long gone for decades.
The original Atari was dead as soon as Nolan sold it to Warner Bros.

The thing about copyrights is that they don't just automatically expire if you stop using them, so the best you can really hope for in these situations is that whoever bought them up either cares about the IPs or is amenable to pawning them off onto someone who does. The entity currently calling itself Atari seems to be mainly interested in bringing together as many dead brands as possible, and so far no one knows to what end. I hope it's not so they can just sue all the emulator sites out of existence.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
There is a demand for arcades these days, but it's far more specialized now than it was in the 70's and 80's. If atari and intellivison made an arcade console (as in countertop or standing. You know, an actual arcade machine.) with push button start and an online market place like steam to make it easier to sell the specialized software for the machine...

I mean: if they pull it off for cheaper than an xbox, and keep the titles below 25$... there's more than a few people that would happily have a ready to roll with no effort arcade machine in their homes. Hell, depending on the accessories and titles: I'd do it.

Edit: expansion port on the side for two player on rails lightgun shooters? I'd ******* buy two. One for me, and one for my brother as a christmas gift.

Last edited:

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I don't really know what games intellivsion had that could be brought back in this modern world. However, I was an Atari 2600 guy so I might not be the best target audience for this merger's product.

Also, What about the Coleco vision?

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
All this talk about Atari and no one has yet brought up the 2600+ (or even the upcoming 7800+)? Seriously, if you're into these old games at all, you should look into one of these (they're functionally all-but identical). If you've held on to your old 2600 or 7800 cartridges all these years, you definitely should be getting one of these.

Ungnome

Citizen
Some company called Coleco Holdings apparently snapped up all the Coleco video game IPs. Company seems a little shady, they were involved with the whole Coleco Chameleon vaporware thing several years ago(granted, they blamed their manufacturing partner in the whole affair)

CoffeeHorse

Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
This is why people are happy with Atari. These companies are all shady, and Atari was doing shady/stupid stuff too for a while, but the company recently seems to have swung in a completely different direction. They are doing good stuff now.

It's basically the opposite trajectory of Intellivision, which in its modern form started as a genuine revival effort but got taken over by a con artist.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
I think they actually tried something in the Retro console vein, but couldn't even get it off the ground.

Some company called Coleco Holdings apparently snapped up all the Coleco video game IPs. Company seems a little shady, they were involved with the whole Coleco Chameleon vaporware thing several years ago(granted, they blamed their manufacturing partner in the whole affair)
If you wanna be a bit more accurate, that whole project began as the Retro VGS and had absolutely no involvement from Coleco Holdings.

It was only after their failed crowdfunding campaign (I think they wanted like $2 million and raised like $100k?) that they licensed the Coleco name from them and rerevealed the console as the Coleco Chameleon.

And that's kind of where more people started paying attention to it because Coleco is at least a brand name people would recognize as 'one of those 80s game consoles!'

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The original Atari was dead as soon as Nolan sold it to Warner Bros.

The thing about copyrights is that they don't just automatically expire if you stop using them, so the best you can really hope for in these situations is that whoever bought them up either cares about the IPs or is amenable to pawning them off onto someone who does. The entity currently calling itself Atari seems to be mainly interested in bringing together as many dead brands as possible, and so far no one knows to what end. I hope it's not so they can just sue all the emulator sites out of existence.
In that case, the original Nintendo and SEGA are long dead.

Feels kind of like equating companies as people, too.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
I really don't see how that's comparable, especially in the case of Nintendo.

I don't think 'the original Atari died as soon as Bushnell sold it to Warner Bros' because that would mean the original Atari died in 1976, which I think is ridiculous

But at the same time, the Atari, Inc. (the original Atari):
- Warner sells the home computer and console division of the company to Jack Tramiel (the founder of Commodore) in 1984, who renames his recently founded Tramiel Technology, Ltd. to Atari Corporation after these are sold to him.

Atari Corporation releases products such as the Atari ST, 7800, Lynx, and - the greatest console ever made - the Jaguar but then in 1996, Atari Corporation agrees to a reverse merger with a company called JTS Corporation, a company that made hard drives. Two years later, in 1998, JTS sells the Atari name and assets to Hasbro Interactive and then, in 2001, Hasbro sells Hasbro Interactive to the French company Infogrames - who rename them to Infogrames Interactive. In 2003, Infogrames Interactive is renamed to Atari Interactive and then in 2009, Infogrames renames themselves to Atari SA.

Then meanwhile rest of Atari, Inc. that Warner retained ownership of (the coin-op division mostly, since that was the only part of the company that made money in 1983) is renamed to Atari Games, Inc. In 1985, they transfer the coin-op division to a new company called AT Games that they jointly own with Namco (60% Namco, 40% Warner) and they then rename Atari Games, Inc. to Atari Holdings, Inc. and AT Games to Atari Games Corporation. Namco then sells 33% of their own shares in the company to a group of employees and Atari Games Corporation effectively becomes an independent company because it's now owned by three entities and none have a controlling interest in it.

Atari Games continues to make arcade games and also home console games for the NES but, while they can use the Atari name for arcades, they can't use it for home consoles or computers, so they create the Tengen branding. Warner merges with Time, Inc. in 1989 to form Time-Warner and they reacquire controlling interest in Atari Games in 1993 and while they retain usage of the Atari Games brand for arcade games originally, by mid-1994, Atari Games, Tengen, and Time Warner Interactive (the brand they began using instead of Tengen for console games) are all consolidated under the Time Warner Interactive banner.

Time-Warner then sells Atari games to WMS Industries, who own the Williams, Bally, and Midway arcade brands in 1996 - after a failed bid from Nolan Bushnell to acquire them, who restore the usage of the Atari Games brand name.

WMS splits off its video game division in 1998 as Midway Games, with Midway recieving control of the Atari Games division (the same year Hasbro bought the remnants of Atari Corporation from JTS) and in 1999, Atari Games Corporation is renamed to Midway Games West, ending the usage of the Atari Games brand name.

Midway leaves the arcade industry in 2001 but Midway Games West continues to make games for home consoles until 2003, when the studio is closed.

Despite being closed, Midway Games West continued to exist as a holding entity for the trademarks and copyrights for the games that Atari Games originally created, until 2009 when Midway was undergoing bankruptcy and sold most of their assets to Warner Bros Interactive Entertainment - ironically meaning that Time-Warner once again has ownership of what was once Atari Games.

(Incidentally this is why the 'newest' arcade game in Atari 50 is I, Robot from June 1984 because that was the last game released by the original Atari, Inc. before it was split and all arcade games after that are owned by Warner Bros)

Anyways meanwhile Nintendo is the same company they've been since 1889. Obviously they've expanded far beyond their origins as a hanafuda playing card manufacturer in the late 19th century, but they've been never been sold, split up into different companies, had their brand name disappear from the market because their current owners decide to rebrand them before being resurrected just because of its notability in the industry, etc. The Nintendo that existed in 1889 selling hanafuda cards is the same Nintendo that's currently selling the Nintendo Switch.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Atari being the same company they were in 2009 means this is the longest they've ever remained in the same hands.

Also, What about the Coleco vision?
I'm sure Atari has them on their wishlist. They're becoming the Embracer Group of brands that have been effectively dead since the '80s. Wouldn't be surprised if they also end up buying Commodore by this time next year.

Ungnome

Citizen
You're not gonna like this, but Comcast owns the ZX spectrum IP via its Sky subsidiary.

Top Bottom