The US Supreme Court and its decisions

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
No one is going to replace biden on the democratic ticket. And even fox news polls put biden ahead; the heavily biased towards trump polls.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
I know the chance of Biden getting replaced are small, but he IS over 80. The Universe itself could force their hands.

Second that, Pale Rider. Hopefully we can get enough momentum to pull of a new amendment sometime in the next few years to remove the whole 'immunity' thing for ELECTED OFFICIALS. Limited immunity has its place, but the the Supreme Court decision goes way to far and flings the doors wide open for rampant corruption. One need look no further than local police departments to see what kinds of harm 'immunity' can cause. It's one thing saying you can't sue a congressman in civil court for passing a law, it's something all together else to say you can't charge the president for misuse of power if he used the DoJ specifically to go after political opponents.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
I'm hoping that enough damage has been caused this session that the democrats gain both houses and expand the court to 13. From there, we do exactly like the GOP and push cases to demand a SCOTUS review and walk this shit back from the cliff. I'm sure Thomas and Alito will be screaming bloody murder, but while they're having hysterics, maybe that coronary will pop and the world will be better.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
I can see the Democrats sweeping this November's election. But I can also see them using it as an excuse to sit on their hands for the next four years instead of taking initiative to fix anything, especially via something as radical as stacking the Supreme Court or impeaching one or more of its existing justices.

There are three very big factors at play here. One is the perennial excuse of "Oh waddayagonnado, vote for the other guy?" The other is this delusion they all seem to ascribe to that they need the votes of hypothetical "fence sitters" who will reject them as soon as they enact a single liberal policy more than they need the votes of disillusioned youths who have been clamoring for more liberal policies. The third, and most importantly of all, is that they are just as reliant on corporate bribe money to fund their campaigns as the Republicans are. And what those corporations want more than anything is two right-wing parties. Even if you held the Democrats all down and force-fed them a two-liter bottle of ball-growth formula, what you'd get is two years of sweeping reform followed by an election cycle where the only political ads are for their Republican challengers.

Axaday

Citizen
Getting Trump's trials done before the election was the best case scenario because there is a real risk of him winning again and sweeping away his consequences.

But I do think that on balance the most likely thing is that he will not win in November and if that happens it will be a double giant sigh of relief, because all of the defense that has been focused on delays will be presented with "Ok, we have all the time in the world now."

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Ironically it'd probably lead to fewer delays, because there's no longer a specific date to try to delay until.

Shadhausen

Citizen
I'm hoping that enough damage has been caused this session that the democrats gain both houses and expand the court to 13. From there, we do exactly like the GOP and push cases to demand a SCOTUS review and walk this shit back from the cliff. I'm sure Thomas and Alito will be screaming bloody murder, but while they're having hysterics, maybe that coronary will pop and the world will be better.
That would require the Democrats to have balls but the past few decades have shown otherwise.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
Trump's only tactic is delaying, because if he wins, he'll just declare himself immune to all crimes and brush it aside; and if he loses, he'll just bury everything in appeals and count on the courts continuing to refuse to actually lock him up because our justice system sucks. And at that point dementia will most likely take over and he won't be coherent enough to understand anything anyway.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
At this point I'm convinced either Trump will win the election and get away with everything or the Reaper will finally come a'calling and he'll still get away with everything.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
At this point I'm convinced either Trump will win the election and get away with everything or the Reaper will finally come a'calling and he'll still get away with everything.
Not gonna lie, as long as WE don't have to keep fighting him, I'm okay with that second scenario.

MrBlud

Citizen
National Democrats don’t see/think/believe the United States is already in a death spiral and pretty much has been since Reagan.

They think a little tinkering at the margins will shore things up and not upset the Oligarchs enough to either pull funding from them or fund the opposition.

Don’t get me wrong, we CAN save the country but it’s going to take some real change; that the rich 100% aren’t going to like.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Probably, but it will also work against them: because the cult will be collapsing and they still won't vote for anyone else.
I mean, they're still voting for Congressmen, aren't they? They're not just writing in "Donald Trump" for every line of the ballot, surely.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
The power in the cult will also collapse when the personality leading it is removed. They'll splinter just as much as the plebians will. Sure, maga cultists will still voted in, but they won't be able to congeal into a unified front of obstruction.

Axaday

Citizen
The CIA can come for him now. It would not be the first time that the President of the United States has had to order the assassination of a brutal dictator in the normal course of their duties.

Last edited:

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
The Heritage Foundation is absolutely an extremist hate group. If you are not with them, you are their enemy and they will treat you as such.
They are just absolute bastards.

Top Bottom