The Weird Al Thread

Haze Arquebus

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
I'm just completely giddy he put in Uptown Funk, because I've lamented for years that it hit right as his contract ran out and he fell dormant - and like, no hate 'cause it's his life, he can do whatever the hell he wants with it, but it was one of the big pop culture songs I really wanted to see make it into a polka. And now I've got closure on that, out of nowhere.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
I wouldn't really say he fell dormant. He's still active, picking up small acting gigs and hosting duties and posting random stuff on Youtube, producing a feature length mocumentary on his life, going on a live tour with Emo Philips, etc. He's just not songwriting as much as he use to.(I'd imagine after 30+ years of it, a bit of burnout was inevitable)

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
There's also just not nearly as much pop music that's worth parodying anymore. Look at how many years it took to build up a list of hit songs to make this medley out of. Todd in the Shadows pivoted to doing mostly coverage of older songs for this same reason. The age of streaming has radically changed the scene.

I'm optimistic that this medley is a preview of an upcoming full album, but it also wouldn't surprise me at all if there isn't going to be one, now or ever.

Haze Arquebus

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
Well, fell dormant musically, then, since as far as I know the only other new thing he put out in that timeframe was the Hamilton polka.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
He's done a couple of other things, musically, but he didn't write them. Namely the songs about the 2016, 2020 and 2024 presidential debates as well as a few cartoon show themes. but yea, his output isn't nearly what it was on the music side of things.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I mean, it does have a lot of music to fit into it. My only problem with it is that it is too short. He should have gone another 2 minutes and crammed more songs into it.

Top Bottom