We live in a capitalist dystopia

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
We go through this every couple of months. "New browser" gets announced and inevitably it turns out it's just Chrome but they changed the color of the menu bar.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
The Blink engine, is a good one, but we shouldn't be reliant on a single engine for most of the available browsers, especially considering who controls said engine. Of course oddly enough, Chrome wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for Safari and Safari wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for KDE. Blink(Chrome) came from Webkit(Safari) which traces it's lineage to KHTML(which was part of older versions of KDE).

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.
Citizen
I'll stick with opera.
giphy.gif

Anonymous X

Citizen
The Blink engine, is a good one, but we shouldn't be reliant on a single engine for most of the available browsers, especially considering who controls said engine. Of course oddly enough, Chrome wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for Safari and Safari wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for KDE. Blink(Chrome) came from Webkit(Safari) which traces it's lineage to KHTML(which was part of older versions of KDE).
That’s… interesting. Didn’t know that.

(I tried Linux back in 2002, can’t remember the type, and KDE was/is the desktop component, IIRC. Interesting it’s all connected like that.)

(I miss the pre-spyware version of the internet, even if you had to pay for your web browser.)

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Blink IS technically open source. It would be possible to fork it and strip out all the telemetry. Problem is all the browsers that use it just turn around and add their own telemetry to their modified code.

Top Bottom