31 Days of Halloween (2022)

Caldwin

Just plain batty!
Citizen
I know it's not October yet. But these seems to be the thread for spooky and spoopy.

So one of the things I do at work it "prepping" shows. Basically that's setting in/out points so that the automation knows when to roll local commercials.

Last week I got to prep the movie Daybreakers. Basically that means I watched an edited for television version in fast forward.

I bought the Bluray off Amazon and watched it tonight (couldn't wait for October).

Daybreakers

For those who don't know: Ethan Hawke, William Defoe and Sam Neil. Vampires are the dominant species on earth. Problem is that their primary food (humans) are in short supply, nearly extinct.

I think this just became my new favorite vampire movie. Definitely worth watching if you haven't seen it yet.

Okay, I'll try not to post again until October. Current plans are to marathon the Underworld movies. I'm also planning on getting the first Castlevania Netflix series on Bluray, but I can't really promise to wait until October.

Last edited:

Ultra Magnus13

Citizen
I know it's not October yet. But these seems to be the thread for spooky and spoopy.

So one of the things I do at work it "prepping" shows. Basically that's setting in/out points so that the automation knows when to roll local commercials.

Last week I got to prep the movie Daybreakers. Basically that means I watched an edited for television version in fast forward.

I bought the Bluray off Amazon and watched it tonight (couldn't wait for October).

Daybreakers

For those who don't know: Ethan Hawke, William Defoe and Sam Neil. Vampires are the dominant species on earth. Problem is that their primary food (humans) are in short supply, nearly extinct.

I think this just became my new favorite vampire movie. Definitely worth watching if you haven't seen it yet.

Okay, I'll try not to post again until October. Current plans are to marathon the Underworld movies. I'm also planning on getting the first Castlevania Netflix series on Bluray, but I can't really promise to wait until October.
I remember seeing this in theaters when it came out, decent, but unremarkable imo.

Caldwin

Just plain batty!
Citizen
Popular opinion seems to be that the premise is great but they strayed away from it in the last 30-40 minutes. Basically, first half good, second half mediocre.

I can see why people would think that. Still, I enjoyed it.

Caldwin

Just plain batty!
Citizen
BYW, just a small note...has anyone seen Sean Whitmore lately? It seems like it's been a while and if memory serves, he didn't post anything last October.

Caldwin

Just plain batty!
Citizen
Okay, guys, here's the deal. I really do want to keep this thread going as an October tradtion. It's a lot of fun every October going on a binge of horror movies (or horror adjacent). For this year, I had been planning on doing a marathon of the Underworld series.

BUT!

Last month the Castlevania Dominus Collection came out, which I binged. This led me to buy the Trevor Belmont Castlevania Netflix series on Bluray, which I binged. This also led to watching Van Helsing, getting another read through of Carmilla (which I still haven't finished) as well as watching two different Carmilla movie adaptations. I also discovered the movie Daybreakers.

What I'm trying to say is that I feel like I've already had my month of Halloween and right now I'm just all vampired out. Like hon, if I tried to force an Underworld marathon at this point, I wouldn't have any fun with it.

Still, this is October, so I'm going to at least bump this and hopefully contribute where I can. Inthe mean time, I hope you all have fun and let the Spoopy commence!

Badgertron

Citizen
Okay, guys, here's the deal. I really do want to keep this thread going as an October tradtion. It's a lot of fun every October going on a binge of horror movies (or horror adjacent). For this year, I had been planning on doing a marathon of the Underworld series.

BUT!

Last month the Castlevania Dominus Collection came out, which I binged. This led me to buy the Trevor Belmont Castlevania Netflix series on Bluray, which I binged. This also led to watching Van Helsing, getting another read through of Carmilla (which I still haven't finished) as well as watching two different Carmilla movie adaptations. I also discovered the movie Daybreakers.

What I'm trying to say is that I feel like I've already had my month of Halloween and right now I'm just all vampired out. Like hon, if I tried to force an Underworld marathon at this point, I wouldn't have any fun with it.

Still, this is October, so I'm going to at least bump this and hopefully contribute where I can. Inthe mean time, I hope you all have fun and let the Spoopy commence!

What, no Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust? It's a classic!

Caldwin

Just plain batty!
Citizen
Hmm, now Vampire Hunter D may be an option. There's only two movies, so it's not quite as big of a commitment. I'll consider it.

And Fnu, it counts. Like the old Universal classics, I didn't find any of the old FX or Hays Code sensibilities scary in the least. But they were still fun classic movies to watch.

Last edited:

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
There's always the Garo movies. Red Requiem was fairly stand-alone, and you might still b able to find it easily enough. And the others would make a good excuse to (re)watch the series itself.

Caldwin

Just plain batty!
Citizen
I'm sure some of you already know, but for those who don't, there are actually two Vampire Hunter D anime: Vampire Hunter D (1985) and Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust (2000). Now I have seen both of these before, but it's been a while. In fact, Last time I watched VHD Bloodlust, I don't think I knew who Carmilla was.

Now, as you can see, there's 15 years between each movie. Now it's been a while, so I don't remember much from these. But what I do seem to recall...try to imagine a world where there are two StarWars movies. Both are really good movies. But one is grainy SD using old practical effects and old film stock. Then you have a digital movie with 4K digital effects that have never touched film. Also neither of these films references the other. That's what I sorta recall about these.

But enough lead in...let's watch.

Vampire Hunter D (1985)(DVD)

Oh wow! This isn't just old style animation, this is actually 4:3 aspect ratio! Hang on to your hats, kids. This is gonna be a ride!

So you know how every time period, whether it's American media, Japanese media or whatever, has a distinct flavor? Let me just say that if I didn't already know that this was made in 1985, I would still be able to easily guess the decade. So if you like dark 80's violent animation, Fnu, this is the movie for you.

Sorry to say I fell asleep for just a moment. It was one of those days and 80's animation has that effect on me sometimes. Still, it was a decent movie. It did have some bits that reminded me of Castlevania. Usual violence/nudity warning, but very much worth watching if you can find it

Amazon does have it, but it's kinda pricey. You might do better on eBay.

Ultra Magnus13

Citizen
I'm sure some of you already know, but for those who don't, there are actually two Vampire Hunter D anime: Vampire Hunter D (1985) and Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust (2000). Now I have seen both of these before, but it's been a while. In fact, Last time I watched VHD Bloodlust, I don't think I knew who Carmilla was.

Now, as you can see, there's 15 years between each movie. Now it's been a while, so I don't remember much from these. But what I do seem to recall...try to imagine a world where there are two StarWars movies. Both are really good movies. But one is grainy SD using old practical effects and old film stock. Then you have a digital movie with 4K digital effects that have never touched film. Also neither of these films references the other. That's what I sorta recall about these.

But enough lead in...let's watch.

Vampire Hunter D (1985)(DVD)

Oh wow! This isn't just old style animation, this is actually 4:3 aspect ratio! Hang on to your hats, kids. This is gonna be a ride!

So you know how every time period, whether it's American media, Japanese media or whatever, has a distinct flavor? Let me just say that if I didn't already know that this was made in 1985, I would still be able to easily guess the decade. So if you like dark 80's violent animation, Fnu, this is the movie for you.

Sorry to say I fell asleep for just a moment. It was one of those days and 80's animation has that effect on me sometimes. Still, it was a decent movie. It did have some bits that reminded me of Castlevania. Usual violence/nudity warning, but very much worth watching if you can find it

Amazon does have it, but it's kinda pricey. You might do better on eBay.
Looks like a new release next month.

Caldwin

Just plain batty!
Citizen
Ultra Magnus:
That's good news. I may consider upgrading in that case since at the moment I just have the DVD. Thanks for the heads up.

Don:
Hail to the king, Baby.

Top Bottom