A Long Time Ago In a Galaxy Far, Far Away.... - Star Wars General Discussion

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I actually have the PS2 emulated version I got for free with my Star Wars PS4. Unless the controls are VASTLY better...I'm probably not going to consider.

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I keep hearing how bad the PS2 controls are but I can't imagine what the deal is. The Gamecube controls are fine.

Axaday

Citizen
In the comments section on a Facebook article (I know!) someone pointed out how Yoda knew the rule of 2 at the end of Phantom Menace and I had never thought about it. I believe the intention of Phantom Menace was that they really believed the Sith had been gone and then found out they were wrong and that the Sith always followed the rule of 2. The inconsistency is caused by lore that was built later and frankly didn't quite fit. Darth Bane started the rule of 2 so the Sith could continue undetected. (I believe he started it because he learned how to possess the body of his apprentice and live forever in this fashion). The Jedi should NOT be aware of the rule as it has been explained to us.

That was a week or so ago and I just got around to watching the scenes in question. Note I am watching on Disney+ and both scenes would have been different with puppet Yoda, but I believe CGI Yoda was true to the original intent. And You Guys....

I don't know. When Qui-Gon says he thinks it was a Sith Lord, Yoda's ears droop. Ki-Adi Mundi says impossible and turns to Yoda to say "The Sith have been extinct for a Millenia." Yoda doesn't look at him. He looks at the ground. Mace Windu is looking at him. Cut to Yoda closeup. He's uncomfortable. He is stirred back when Mace starts talking and looks at him. Mace is wide-eyed and talking to Yoda. "I do not believe the Sith could have returned without us knowing." No denial from Yoda. "Ah, hard to see the Dark Side is". Cut to Qui-Gon who looks quizzical. Maybe seeing what I'm seeing. Mace says they'll look into it and dismissed Qui-Gon quickly. But he wants to talk about Anakin. Ki-Adi, Yoda, and Mace look super uncomfortable. They keep glancing around at each other. Even as Qui-Gon is leaving the room, they're still doing it. Guys, you don't have to change ANYTHING about this scene to come in behind and say they knew all about Acolyte and they are lying.

Jump forward to the funeral and there is now no doubt that it was a Sith. They didn't get it from a squeally Neimoidian, because the Neimoidian would have told them it was the apprentice. They guy they fought wore black and had a red lightsaber and was tattooed like crazy all over his head, but Qui-Gon would have told them all or most of that earlier. I don't see anything that would have changed their mind, unless they actually thought Qui-Gon was making the whole thing up earlier and I don't think they did. But it is just Yoda and Mace now and no one is listening in. They know it is a Sith. You don't have to change ANYTHING to come in behind and say they knew the whole time. It actually makes more sense than the straight read.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Yoda likely concluded that the fact a sith decided to reveal its self in the manner it did was apart of some plan and for the sith to hide for so long and not cause trouble, was having a master and a apperentce

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
In Darth Bane: Path of Destruction (now relegated to Legends continuity, but bear with me), Drew Karpeshyn attempts to square the circle by suggesting (as he did in the Knights of the Old Republic computer game) that Revan intially came up with the Rule of Two, and Bane latched onto it after learning of same from a holocron recorded during Revan's evil phase.

It doesn't seem much of a stretch to me that if Yoda learns that that the Sith survived Ruusan (or, more likely to him, got restarted by some cult akin to the Krath of old or the Sorcerors of Tund), that they would likely follow Revan's rule rather than that of Darth Ruin (who created the "modern" Sith in the Fourth Great Schism of 1965 BrS*) or Skere Kaan (who led the New Sith to seeming extinction at the Battles of Ruusan mentioned above). Because we haven't seen a bunch of warpaint-wearing guys with red lghtsabers, just the one.... or one at a time, if we include the events of the Acolyte. ;)

*=Years before the Great ReSynchronization, which took place three years before the events of Episode 1 to correct a bunch of calendrical irregularities that were cropping up in the post-Ruusan Reformation Republic. Clone Wars are 13-16 GR, A New Hope takes place in the third month of 35 GR, the Battle of Endor is 39 GR.

Axaday

Citizen
In Darth Bane: Path of Destruction (now relegated to Legends continuity, but bear with me), Drew Karpeshyn attempts to square the circle by suggesting (as he did in the Knights of the Old Republic computer game) that Revan intially came up with the Rule of Two, and Bane latched onto it after learning of same from a holocron recorded during Revan's evil phase.

It doesn't seem much of a stretch to me that if Yoda learns that that the Sith survived Ruusan (or, more likely to him, got restarted by some cult akin to the Krath of old or the Sorcerors of Tund), that they would likely follow Revan's rule rather than that of Darth Ruin (who created the "modern" Sith in the Fourth Great Schism of 1965 BrS*) or Skere Kaan (who led the New Sith to seeming extinction at the Battles of Ruusan mentioned above). Because we haven't seen a bunch of warpaint-wearing guys with red lghtsabers, just the one.... or one at a time, if we include the events of the Acolyte. ;)

*=Years before the Great ReSynchronization, which took place three years before the events of Episode 1 to correct a bunch of calendrical irregularities that were cropping up in the post-Ruusan Reformation Republic. Clone Wars are 13-16 GR, A New Hope takes place in the third month of 35 GR, the Battle of Endor is 39 GR.

That explanation might have stopped me from watching the scenes if I saw it in time, but I watched the scenes and these guys are all silently saying "You better keep your mouth shut"

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
It’s D23 this weekend, and that means Disney is pimping various upcoming projects. In addition to some early footage for “The Mandalorian and Grogu”, planned for 2026, they fully released the first trailer for Skeleton Crew. First of eight episodes will premiere December 3, as Marvel’s Agatha is wrapping its run.

Cautiously optimistic with Skeleton Crew. It’s coming from the Filoni/Favreau crew/faction/team within Lucasfilm, rather than Kennedy’s group. On the weighted average, Filoni’s group has produced the superior projects, IMO. Not that each doesn’t have an outlier (Andor is fantastic from Kennedy, while Filoni helped make the uneven Book of Boba Fett), but even the worst from Filoni’s group is at least interesting.

The Amblin/Spielberg vibes are STRONG with this one. But if they can evoke the “80s family movie” vibes, and present some real danger and stakes, I think this could be a surprise hit given the rarity of such shows/films these days.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
It is so strange to see a suburban neighborhood on Star Wars.
And a MASSIVE swath of the Star Wars fandom is losing their MINDS over it. Apparently, it didn’t “look like” Star Wars. Because apparently Star Wars can ONLY have massive Megapolis cities or dusty rural outposts. Maybe some medieval/Roman stop overs.
Completely forgetting that the original Star Wars films cribbed extensively from Akira Kurosawa, World War 2, and westerns for its own iconography. Even Mandalorian, for as much as I love it, visually just remixed a LOT from the original trilogy at its outset.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Looks like it could be fun. Might be a good one to watch with my daughter when it hits.(and yea, definite classic Amblin vibes from the trailer)

Axaday

Citizen
And a MASSIVE swath of the Star Wars fandom is losing their MINDS over it. Apparently, it didn’t “look like” Star Wars. Because apparently Star Wars can ONLY have massive Megapolis cities or dusty rural outposts. Maybe some medieval/Roman stop overs.
Completely forgetting that the original Star Wars films cribbed extensively from Akira Kurosawa, World War 2, and westerns for its own iconography. Even Mandalorian, for as much as I love it, visually just remixed a LOT from the original trilogy at its outset.
I was on the same line of thinking earlier. I feel like seeing Tatooine and also Coruscant surely implies that most all the possibilities between exist. If we had only ever seen one end or the other, it would be questionable. But if neither the squalor or Tatooine or the metal edifice of Coruscant prevents the other from existing, then I think you can find anything somewhere.

Dake

Citizen
This looks delightful. As for their complaints - they're just ludicrous and I'm so tired of the idiots. I'm glad I seem to naturally steer clear of wherever most of them reside.

Axaday

Citizen
This looks delightful. As for their complaints - they're just ludicrous and I'm so tired of the idiots. I'm glad I seem to naturally steer clear of wherever most of them reside.
Maybe you fly over them.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
I’m not sure this is much of a surprise, but…Disney has opted NOT to move forward with the…divisive…Acolyte series. Despite some big finale cameos, it apparently didn’t do enough and the story of the Acolyte, if it continues, will have to be done in some other medium.

It doesn’t surprise me. Obviously, ”toxic fandom” is being citing as a factor, but I’m not sure I buy that as the entire reason behind the weak viewing numbers. I view myself as critical, but fair, and I thought it was Okay with some nifty ideas. I think the series (much like Obi-Wan before it) suffered by being a “chopped up movie” rather than being structured as an episodic series. This and Obi-Wan suffered from TERRIBLE pacing, and Acolyte lacked the novelty of legacy characters to sustain its momentum.
I also think Disney did a crap job marketing the series, choosing to simply let the Star Wars branding (itself seemingly losing luster under Disney’s stewardship) sell the series instead of giving people things to be interested in seeing. No looks at the “twin” angle, barely any looks at the great lightsaber battles, or even any at Manny Jacinto’s Qimir, who I think probably did the best of anyone in the cast and offered a really compelling “look” as a villain.

At least we can look forward to a bunch of Acolyte Black Series figures getting dumped at Ollies next year since almost NOBODY that got toys actually survived the series.

Axaday

Citizen
Supply and Demand in streaming services is really odd. Decisions are getting made differently. I saw one thing on Facebook saying this show got cancelled. It didn't. When a network TV show gets cancelled, they tear down the sets and the actors go get other jobs. All of that happened as soon as this show was wrapped. They made it like a movie and they did it knowing that doing more would be a totally separate decision. In the case of The Acolyte there is at least a lighter burden on the difficulty of getting back on all of the cast's schedule.

Disney+ doesn't have to make sure they keep 168 hours a week covered. I think it is difficult to judge how much money a show is making on a streaming service. And it is difficult to tell whether most fans like it or hate it. I am sure they don't like it that people on social media say they don't like it. Other people say they DO like it. How do you know how many of each? On a broadcast network, how many people tune in, is an indicator that people prefer the show to the others in its time slot, but they don't know whether people preferred it to other shows from other stream services or broadcast networks. People will keep watching it for the first time for many years. The decision that has actually just been made is not to pursue a second season at this time. They probably only announced the decision because they kept getting asked. It isn't a binding decision. If anything is being done because of it, it is the show runner looking for a new idea. But she most likely was already working on her next idea anyway. A lot of people may watch it this winter and then they can decide to start working on another season and nothing will have been lost. Roseanne came back. Frasier came back. Star Trek the Next Generation came back. Full House came back.

I enjoyed the show every week until the last one. I didn't like how they wrapped it up. Some of that with a retroactive effect. I don't feel like the show was fully cooked before they started filming it. It wasn't sure all of the things it wanted to say and do. But if they make more I will watch it.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Maybe the canceled The Acolyte to brand it as The Sith or whatever marketable name Qimir could be called. Not the Master. Not the Pupil. They should just market him instead.

Shadhausen

Citizen
Funny that the day this is cancelled I see the Acolyte Black Series figures at Wal-Mart for the first time.

Dake

Citizen
I am sure they don't like it that people on social media say they don't like it. Other people say they DO like it. How do you know how many of each? On a broadcast network, how many people tune in, is an indicator that people prefer the show to the others in its time slot, but they don't know whether people preferred it to other shows from other stream services or broadcast networks.

I always assume it's a variation on the "customer service" philosophy: if you make a customer happy, they'll tell one or two people. If you make a customer mad, they'll tell everyone they can. So, the "noisiest" people on teh interwebs remain the minority. I also assume they have an algorithm that tracks how many people watched the show to completion, how many watched it more than once, how many watched episodes within 24 hours of availability and so on. Combined with how many signed up and have subsequently canceled memberships.

I'm on record as finding the basic story construction lacking (as was the case with Obi-wan and Boba-fett), but I'm still bummed because there were a lot of cool aspects that I'd like to have seen explored.

But yeah so many shows take a season to find their footing and come back stronger in the second, but the modern era of TV making just doesn't seem to allow for that.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
The real test to see how badly Disney screwed up with Star Wars is going to be the Mano movie and if anyone is willing to go and see it or not and if that flops, all of Disney & Kennedy film plans will crash and burn as phase bore did with Marvel as the behind the scenes drama is more entertaining than the actual products they put out

Top Bottom