A Long Time Ago In a Galaxy Far, Far Away.... - Star Wars General Discussion

NovaSaber

Citizen
Took me a second to realize you meant the hairy one, not the human who looks like Shaggy. (Who was named Sha'a Gi, because of course he was.)
According to Wookiepedia, his name was K'Kruhk and his species is Whiphid.

Axaday

Citizen
The Vergence, I bet, is the Dark and Light Side. Maybe.
I don't know what that means.

The name was coined in Episode 1. Qui-Gon says he has discovered a Vergence in the Force and someone clarifies that he means one centered on a person. The cave on Dagobah was made into one retroactively.

Not clear whether the witches found a Vergence on Brendok and used it to make the twins or whether the twins ARE one.

Dake

Citizen
Yeah - in a recent interview Filoni said this is a "location" vergence. They wanted to make it clear that the girls are not vergences themselves (so as to not take away from how special Anakin was), but came into being with the assistance of the location.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Oh, I thought a Vergence was something new created for Acolyte. I didn't know it was something in the movies already or refers to Anakin.

I thought the Vergence was a splitting of something in two and related to the Threads mentioned in the first or second ep. It split something powerful into two and made Osha for the Light Side and Mae for the Dark Side.

Axaday

Citizen
Nope. And I suspect it will turn out that Osha was made for the Dark Side. They might both swap, but I think it is more likely Qimir can turn Osha than Sol turning Mae.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Saw the finale. I'm actually kicking myself for not realizing what was hinted at in the initial mission, geez, haha

Yeah, it wasn't that satisfying but could say what happened was a well deserved punishment. If only that person broke down more.

If only I liked the twins as characters more. But I didn't. Actually I think the only people I liked were Torbin and Qimir. I hated Basil.

electricidad

Citizen
Rewatched 7 to lead up to 8. Sol. Was. Right.

I’m a teacher, and therefore a mandated reporter for the state of Illinois. If I see a kid being abused, or suspect abuse in any way, I report it. (And have. Sometimes things actually work out OK.)

Sol’s a Jedi, and therefore a person who needs to DO SOMETHING when he sees kids being abused. Sol saw kids being Force abused (Force pushed, etc.) and took action. When he saw Mother Aniseya shifting into her shadow form, he assumed he was doing something to one of the girls. Sol was right to do what he did, so it’s hard for me to narratively believe he’d have a whole lot of guilt about it. Particularly if he was OK with training Osha immediately after the Force witch fracas.

Sol was right to do what he did; he was cool enough with what he did to train Osha. Sol saw the Force cult was hurting kids. Sol was right. For him to express guilt in episode 8 is questionable writing.

If there is a season 2, I’ll keep watching. I suspect we’re heading for a redemption narrative with the twins, and seeing what Sith training looks like has the potential to be cool. But if The Acolyte’s whole deal is “we’ll kill off all likable characters, and no thought is given to reasonable motivations” I doubt I follow it past season 2.

Axaday

Citizen
I will watch everything they make.

But. I realize my own biases read in here so I'm just going to acknowledge that right here. Time after time as this series unfolded, I saw speculations come up online and I rejected them because they were dumb ideas and I believed that the show wasn't going to be dumb. But on very many of those occasions, it turns out that the speculation was correct and the show was dumb.

Vernesta is dirty. Qimir really did get hurt by Vernesta. Those scars on his back that are seriously NOT consistent with being whipped were probably made by her whip. They really did put Ki-Adi Mundi for no good reason without solidly exonerating his Ep1 scene.

I see confimation that it was Plagueis seen for a couple of seconds. It didn't look like a Muun to me and maybe they have decided he wasn't. Plagueis is likely still an apprentice and Qimir and Osha are "secret" side projects, but they are probably aware that Plagueis is a SIth. However, it is possible since Vernesta got a positive ID on Qimir that she really DOES believe that is as far as it goes. They didn't hammer that home, but it is still possible that Yoda and Ki-Adi are unaware of any Sith involvement. Qimir is totally possible as just a fallen Jedi and that's that. And really, I don't see any good reason for them to use a couple seconds to reveal that's not the case if they weren't doing anything with it this season and don't know if they'll get another.

Weird side notes: I am pretty surprised that bleeding kyber is that easy. Qimir and Osha cannot survive 100 years without help, but I have heard Plagueis can keep people alive. But he didn't. What happens with Osha that makes her not worth keeping alive, but worth repeating the experiment?

I have never been into the idea that Plagueis or Sidious created Anakin. I believe it has been variously established, but always in places that can be papered over and the official story that I'd like to go with was that the Force made him on purpose to correct the problems Sith were making. So I have believed for myself that Palpatine was lying to Anakin. Particularly if Sidious knows how to just create life, why is he moldering on Exogol in a rotting clone of himself? One of the few cool things about Episode 9 is to strongly suggest that Sidious is actually a merged consciousness of Palpatine and Plagueis and who knows how many before him and that his intention was probably to possess Anakin's body, but it got wrecked. He definitely tried to possess Luke and Rey. But if he made Anakin, why did he make a clone of himself that ran away? I can see the vanity in wanting the body to be "yours", but then why did he make Anakin in the first place and why would he wait around for Luke or Rey when he could have just made another Anakin?[/spoiler][/spoiler]

Axaday

Citizen
eletricidad said:
Sol was right to do what he did; he was cool enough with what he did to train Osha. Sol saw the Force cult was hurting kids. Sol was right. For him to express guilt in episode 8 is questionable writing.

Yeah, they made a mess there. It seems like Osha was more concerned with the coverup than the crime, at least to some extent. But she asks why he never told her and the actual answer is that he was ordered not to by a superior. He wanted to tell everything way back when. Indara said not to and told him it would be bad for Osha if he did. And he either actually trusted her or he just obeyed her. In any case, that's the answer I would have led with.

Ultra Magnus13

Citizen
I will watch everything they make.

But. I realize my own biases read in here so I'm just going to acknowledge that right here. Time after time as this series unfolded, I saw speculations come up online and I rejected them because they were dumb ideas and I believed that the show wasn't going to be dumb. But on very many of those occasions, it turns out that the speculation was correct and the show was dumb.

Vernesta is dirty. Qimir really did get hurt by Vernesta. Those scars on his back that are seriously NOT consistent with being whipped were probably made by her whip. They really did put Ki-Adi Mundi for no good reason without solidly exonerating his Ep1 scene.

I see confimation that it was Plagueis seen for a couple of seconds. It didn't look like a Muun to me and maybe they have decided he wasn't. Plagueis is likely still an apprentice and Qimir and Osha are "secret" side projects, but they are probably aware that Plagueis is a SIth. However, it is possible since Vernesta got a positive ID on Qimir that she really DOES believe that is as far as it goes. They didn't hammer that home, but it is still possible that Yoda and Ki-Adi are unaware of any Sith involvement. Qimir is totally possible as just a fallen Jedi and that's that. And really, I don't see any good reason for them to use a couple seconds to reveal that's not the case if they weren't doing anything with it this season and don't know if they'll get another.

Weird side notes: I am pretty surprised that bleeding kyber is that easy. Qimir and Osha cannot survive 100 years without help, but I have heard Plagueis can keep people alive. But he didn't. What happens with Osha that makes her not worth keeping alive, but worth repeating the experiment?

I have never been into the idea that Plagueis or Sidious created Anakin. I believe it has been variously established, but always in places that can be papered over and the official story that I'd like to go with was that the Force made him on purpose to correct the problems Sith were making. So I have believed for myself that Palpatine was lying to Anakin. Particularly if Sidious knows how to just create life, why is he moldering on Exogol in a rotting clone of himself? One of the few cool things about Episode 9 is to strongly suggest that Sidious is actually a merged consciousness of Palpatine and Plagueis and who knows how many before him and that his intention was probably to possess Anakin's body, but it got wrecked. He definitely tried to possess Luke and Rey. But if he made Anakin, why did he make a clone of himself that ran away? I can see the vanity in wanting the body to be "yours", but then why did he make Anakin in the first place and why would he wait around for Luke or Rey when he could have just made another Anakin?[/spoiler][/spoiler]

Yeah I've wondered if part of the " living forever" is sharing your mind with the body you take.

I was thinking maybe that was the purpose of the "twins", either for the coven, or the Sith, or both.

As for why Palp wouldn't create another Anakin? Maybe he never did, maybe Plagus did, and Palp killed him before mastering the ability himself. Also it may require " natural resources" in the form of a vergance. These seem to be exceptionally rare.

Ultra Magnus13

Citizen
This series was big pile of "meh" for me. Felt like a fairly forgettable comic arc or something. Pretty much all the highlights were just saber fights. I guess the ship chase through the planet rings was cool.

Dake

Citizen
I never got over the use of the "misunderstanding" trope as the heart of all the grief. It was so ham-fisted it soured what otherwise could have been some interesting lore.

There had to have been a better way to do that. Even if it involved the dissenting night mother stealing away with Mae to "save" her and getting roped in/killed by Quimir or his Master off screen. There could've still been the assassination plot and everything.

So, it had its moments, and I'll be interested in seeing a season 2 if it gets made. But they needed to tighten it up a bit.

Axaday

Citizen
So, it had its moments, and I'll be interested in seeing a season 2 if it gets made. But they needed to tighten it up a bit.

Just makes me sad. I was into it the whole way until the last episode, but how do you come back from that? I loved Matrix 2. I have only seen it once. Because Matrix 3 ruined Matrix 2 for me and I don't think I would enjoy it now.

Axaday

Citizen
Yeah I've wondered if part of the " living forever" is sharing your mind with the body you take.
I wish they would flesh it out more or I knew where they already had, but in my mind it just pulls so much together. Bane or some Sith along the way learned how to do it. It used to sound sad and scary that every Sith is eventually gonna get shanked by the one person that they've actually been giving power to. They never wait to inherit when their master dies on their own. But it turns out it is okay. What every master does is look for a pupil that is strong and maybe has a talent that they wish they had and is YOUNGER and the apprentice never knows the trick. You groom them into the strongest Dark Side vessel you can and then when they think they are at peak strength and you are starting to wane, they strike you down and you take over their body. You and all the Sith before you. Nothing is lost. Nothing is wasted. Just a body that was no longer the best option.

I think "Return of the Jedi" meant that Palpatine knew Luke couldn't strike him down anyway, but just trying would open him up to the Dark Side and he would be snared. But he was so giddy and cackliy and scarred and old. It is so much cooler if he was about to take Luke's body then and there, but the body has to be opened to the Dark Side first. Luke didn't turn and then Vader did and now you're gonna have to use a crappy clone.

electricidad

Citizen
I’m still ordering the Acolyte figures.

Excited about having Trinity in Star Wars form. And Sol, Yord, and Jecki, I quite liked. I could have watched a few more episodes of them doing Jedi shenanigans.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I’m still ordering the Acolyte figures.

Excited about having Trinity in Star Wars form. And Sol, Yord, and Jecki, I quite liked. I could have watched a few more episodes of them doing Jedi shenanigans.
Considering their current states, they'd be Acolyte inaction figures.

Sorry, sorry. (Imagines Yord twitching with a broken neck.) Sorry, sorry, SORRY!

Seeing as how Qimir is probably the breakout of the series, I wouldn't mind if they scrap the Acolyte line and just start with a season of The Sith, and have Qimir wreaking havoc. Osha would be there as a side character and no need to explain her history other than she's learning from him.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It's Aspyr so DO NOT PREORDER.

But cross your fingers and hope for the best, because this game was great.

Top Bottom