AI don't trust techbros

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Good luck. Google thinks my location is somewhere in South Korea.

I am not using a VPN.

NovaSaber

Citizen
Recall is problematic even without phoning home - it records screenshots of your screen every 10 seconds or something, OCRs them without redaction, and if it's not sufficiently protected, all it takes is someone getting access to that DB to get a treasure trove of your data, no keyloggers needed. Previously it wasn't protected at all, and the re-release to the Insider branch isn't out yet so we don't know how much that may have changed.

(and that's ignoring the potential for workplaces to use this as preinstalled nanny software - or how this will affect discovery in court cases going forward)
The amount of hard drive space that would be taken up by taking a screenshot every ten seconds isn't negligible either.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Don't get me wrong, I love the idea in theory. I remember ages ago wishing that my web browser, which I knew was already storing a local cache of the full text of every webpage I visited for some reason, could just let me do essentially a Google search of just that data, on demand, so I wouldn't have to resort to bookmarking every single page I ever saw that interested me in case I'd want to remember where it was later. And I still wish that was a thing! How has it taken so long for both Mozilla and Google to not realize how useful that would be?

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
They don't want the browsers to be that useful: they want you exposed and on the internet so your information can be monetized.

CoffeeHorse

Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Browsers do want to be that useful. Browsers want to become so useful that they could replace your entire operating system.

But Microsoft doesn't want browsers to be that useful, because everyone complains when they try to make their own browser that useful.

CoffeeHorse

Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
This is the dumbest tech bubble since the last one.

They will spend billions doing absolutely anything other than just asking what we want and building that.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Well, Everyone loves Data, KITT and R2D2, so there is a market for it. Problem is current AI isn't any of those. It's more of a low IQ Skynet or HAL, unfortunately.

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
"We love Commander Data!"

"The best I can do is digital jeffrey dahmer."
I suspect a fair number of fanboys would be happy if they just had Monika....

(Though they way all the news reports keep setting up the references, I would have thought I'd get more traction invoking her here, as I do....)
35b7b508f447d494dcd39d02d5ca4169.jpg

Top Bottom