Allsparkle General Discussion

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Ouch. I wouldn't pay $119 for a DVD unless it were some complete box set with deleted scenes and such.

Videomaster21XX

This is how a unicorn comments
Citizen
Ouch. I wouldn't pay $119 for a DVD unless it were some complete box set with deleted scenes and such.
Yeah I might have to see about getting a bootleg or something. :/ Maybe I'll get lucky and someone will sell a copy after getting out of pony, but I can't pay that for one DVD where all I really care about is the Forgotten Friendship special anyway. Rollercoaster of Friendship was just kinda meh.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
This may end up being very important, or it might not.

But, a Spanish marketing company is advertising a "Ponyverse United" with a new focus for the brand in 2025.

This might mean a return of G4...or not. Or it might feature G5 crossing over with G4 regularly...or not. Or this could be the end of G5 and the beginning of G6...or not. Or this might already be cancelled and everyone's getting worked up over nothing....or not.

All we know for sure is....something might be happening. Or not.

So...we actually don't know anything. At least we're all used to that.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
That whole thing was an emotional rollercoaster with no satisfying conclusion. Thanks for that.

CoffeeHorse

Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I only know one thing for sure. Whatever Hasbro's plans are, Marketing will be the last to know.

CoffeeHorse

Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
If I had to guess, Generations/Legacy has been a wild success and Hasbro's other flagship brand wants in on the fun.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Or they're looking for an excuse to legitimately tap the more popular and recognized g4 characters without admitting g5 was bad or a mistake.

Don't get me wrong: I like g5, but g4 was much, much bigger. And from a "bottom line" point of view, bigger is better.

CoffeeHorse

Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Tomato tomato. They definitely want G4 money back, but I doubt it'll be in the form of an actual return to G4, or a G6 that's really just another G4. I think they want more of a rolling model where nothing ever actually ends.

I think Hasbro wants to move away from monolithic brand-wide gens entirely. They want new stuff that brings in new audiences, but if they hook an audience they never want to be done with that audience. Over in Transformars, Cyberverse (2018)'s original toy run only ended in 2022, and it's already in Legacy. That's what I'm expecting.

Okay, I watched the video. This is the biggest nothing that never anything'd. I can't understand everything because it's in Spanish, but it's just marketing fluff. Nowhere does the video come within a mile of even accidentally implying anything about G5 ending. It lists four targets:
  • My Little Pony Retro
  • My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
  • My Little Pony: Generation 5
  • My Little Pony: Generations (G1 + G4 + G5)
I don't know what the future holds for G5, but this company is under the impression that they're going to keep doing marketing for it.

Last edited:

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
All I know for sure is...apparently the Spanish version of "Gonna Be My Day" is kind of a bop!

Also, Zipp has a little theme park style ride in "Hasbro City" wherever that is. Looks like one of those kid zones you'd find in a mall.

The thing is, I COULD see Hasbro having the G4 characters at least pop up a little more in Tell Your Tale or something in 2025.

For those who don't know, apparently Hasbro shared ownership with Friendship is Magic with The Hub/Discovery Family Channel. So, Hasbro wasn't the sole owners of the G4 cast, which is why they didn't show up very much in G5. If the G4 cast showed up in something, Hasbro would have to pay a usage fee to Discovery Family/Warner Bros.

According to comments on Equestria Daily, that contract expires in 2025, though. Meaning that Hasbro MIGHT have the full rights to the characters back. Which means they might be more willing to use them more.

So, I could totally see Season 3 of Tell Your Tale having some time-travel shenanigans, so that G4 and G5 can explore each other's worlds a little more.

So, if I were to bet on ANYTHING coming from this, it's probably just crossovers.

...Or not. This is all based on a random commentor knowing the specifics of a private contract between two corporations. So, take it with a grain of salt.

So, yeah. This may very well turn out to be a big ball of nothing. But, it seemed like news worth sharing, one way or another.

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
... Maybe that's how IDW's been able to hang on to the license. Hasbro can't bring certain G4 characters to another publisher without giving Discovery Family a cut, but IDW has grandfathered in rights to do new projects with the characters. So Hasbro's letting them keep going until Discovery Family's rights expire.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
I mean... it fits with the once every few month "classics reimagined" they keep dropping. Doing just enough to qualify as use under the law.

CoffeeHorse

Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It's a good deal. Hasbro gets to procrastinate until a problem goes away on its own, and in the meantime IDW gets to hang on to one of their few moneymakers.

And at this rate IDW will probably be out of business by then anyway, so Hasbro won't even have to be rude about it when they take the license somewhere else. They're going to win without having to do anything.

CoffeeHorse

Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Who knows when this was actually written. Marketers love to have the text of articles like this ridiculously far in advance of publishing because they like to pretend there's some secret unknowable science to how they put together a simple one-page promo. Then they slap it together and goof off for the next couple of months.

This could indicate what's happening, and it sounds consistent with what we've been hearing so far, but we still don't know if this is the current plan.

Top Bottom