Anime

Destron D-69

at Journey's end
Citizen
currently First timing Ranma, doing a rewatch of Rayearth that's basically a 2nd first time since it's been so long.. lol I forgot Rogue from X-men was in it (I mean the voice actor obviously lol) and also watching this weird all girl school anime that was also on Roku called Dear Brother "i think" can't remember off the top of my head at the moment since i'm a little sleep deprived atm. let me see if I can find an image...
db.png

the plot is about a recently graduated middle-school girl who goes to a fancy uppercrusty private highschool that has its own weird secret sorority and they're all lesbians and catty bitches and the main character (girl on our left) writes about her adventures and mishaps to her penpal "big brother" who she thinks is just a nice substitute teacher she had for a week during her last year in middle school but he actually is the son of her father from a previous marriage that she didn't know about because it turns out she was an affair baby or something.. so any-who the guy is her big brother. Also a bunch of the older girls in the school look like dudes designed like Vampire hunter D...

it's based on the manga by Ikeda Riyoko from 1974 and was made into an anime in the early 90's

going to see how it plays out, it's not often I run across and anime with a lot of french influences in it so this is fun

Destron D-69

at Journey's end
Citizen
update: I finished Dear Brother, and I just want to add a warning to anyone who might watch it. The series has multiple suicide attempts, one 'successful' and there are other mature content type storylines... it was rated 18a on roku so while I ended up enjoying the show... I'd suggest anyone sensitive to those issues to avoid it.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
A upcoming anime based upon the Termintor movie series:

Also watched the latest ep of The Ossan Newbie Adventurer, Trained to Death by the Most Powerful Party, Became Invincible, its not a bad series, the MC was trained to "DEATH" by this powerful party, thou the eps released so far are just covering his E-Rank test and a trio of rich arrogant siblings who been full of themselves, get beaten by the MC

Also watched the latest eps of:
Our Last Crusade or the Rise of a New World, this series is extremely frustating when it comes to the central characters, they are so dence that it stupid and the series plot doesn't seem to be going anywhere meaningful

The Strongest Magician in the Demon Lord's Army was a Human, this series is actually very good and one of the best this season in my view, the MC is a reincarate who got raised by a demon and now he is apart of the Demon Lord army and serves as one of its major officers!

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Looks like fun! I saw the Netflix logo in there, are we getting it on there?
I would presume so, but I don't think anything has been confirmed internationally. I haven't seen anything but Japans airing time so far.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Some more stuff I binged:

Space Dandy: The animation is great, but I was kinda disappointed with the story and characters. Guess I was expecting more comedy, less acid trip.

My Boss is Goofy: No, not the Disney character. A fun and healing series set in an office, with yaoi undertones but nothing was established. There's also a super cute kitten.

Orange: Rewatched this one b/c I couldn't remember too much of it. Still bittersweet, but the mental health/consequence issues are more complicated/iffy than I remember.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Completely unexpectedly, Sentai Filmworks has somehow gotten ahold of Panzer World Galient, and are doing a Blu-Ray release:
It's Sci-Fi Fantasy in the tradition of Krull, but with giant robots. Did not expect that one coming over(again? Not sure if it came out here previously)

Teufel

Citizen
Never seen it, but throwing mecha into a medieval setting got my attention when it was announced in the pre-orders. This was a comparison of DVD vs Blu Ray released in Japan, I assume it'll be the same transfer. Looks pretty spiffy in HD.

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
So this meme about cosplay and convention culture has been making the rounds on Tiktok and the Tube of You. Lots of different walks to the same tune, but you get the idea.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
So, has anyone here watched Lightspeed Electroid Albegas? I recently introduced Haywire3 to Voltron, and we have the Lion Force And Vehicle Force set that we are watching through, but I remembered that there was a third Voltron that didn't quite make it, from a show called Albegas. Lo and behold, it just got released on SD on BD by Discotek this year, and I'm kind of toying with the idea of getting it, if only to see the Voltron That Might Have Been.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
No, I haven't watched that series, but there is a fourth series that was in WEP heads when they conviced Voltron, which is: Daltanious, but as they weren't sure on the name of the series, they requested the lion one and a mix up, landed them with tapes to Golion and the rest is history as they say!

Just caught up with the latest ep of Failure Frame, its not a bad series, the animation, isn't that great and looking like cut scenes from a old video game, but the story is pretty engaging as our MC is pretty much out for revenge upon the Goddess, whom I suspect is really a Demon, posing as a Goddess!

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I just want to share this One Piece theory video, because I find it interesting.

...I think maybe I was on the right track about these dragons being important to One Piece's endgame, guys.

I did NOT know that there are two different kanji for "dragon" in Japanese, though. That's interesting. I need to look into that more. RIGHT NOW!

And there's actually a THIRD kanji, that also means "dragon". But, that one is reserved for the Zodiac sign.

According to the article, one kanji can mean either Eastern or Western Dragons. But the other can ONLY refer to Eastern "long" dragons. So, that's probably why there's a difference.

As for the relationship between the two in THIS particular story....I'll admit I'm not as sure. Maybe it's just as simple as there being different "races" of dragons, like there are different "races" of humans.

But...the dragons are coming, guys! I'm telling you!

Last edited:

Teufel

Citizen
Failure Frame is kind of a bewildering watch because it will switch back and forth between traditional 2D and bad CGI for no apparent reason. Like the main character's looking out the window of his room at an inn - he's 2D. He sits down on his bed - CGI. He gets up - back to 2D. Why why why? Ugly CGI monsters and vehicles to save time and money I understand even if I hate it. But this is just random and the show does it quite often.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Failure Frame is kind of a bewildering watch because it will switch back and forth between traditional 2D and bad CGI for no apparent reason. Like the main character's looking out the window of his room at an inn - he's 2D. He sits down on his bed - CGI. He gets up - back to 2D. Why why why? Ugly CGI monsters and vehicles to save time and money I understand even if I hate it. But this is just random and the show does it quite often.

I think they made the series on the cheep!

Watched the latest ep of The Strongest Magician in the Demon Lord's Army was a Human, eariler, it wasn't to bad of a ep

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
So with two episodes left of Code Geass: Roze of the Recapture I'm torn on how I feel about it. A lot of the plot feels too similar to the original or derivative. I made the comment of it feeling a bit like the SW Sequel trilogy and honestly that feeling only got stronger with the latest released episode.

But to be honest despite the faults, I'm still mostly enjoying the ride. Unlike Akito the Exiled which went elsewhere and barely involved the originals cast, we are getting small cameos and checking in with characters as we've gone along here, including some from Akito. But it still feels like I should hate this whole Neo Britanian retaking of Japan because how the hell would the characters from the original series just let these crazies just retake the major land they just fought over in the original series so soon after. And honestly I'm still afraid of what the fates of certain Japanese characters that we haven't seen are. I'm going to finish the next two episodes and see how it all plays out. I don't have too high of hopes to be honest.

But on the other hand was happy to see the end of the Sailor Moon remakes with Cosmos finally getting it's Netflix release. I forgot how dark the Stars arc was, and honestly I only watched the original series version a few years back when it came on Hulu.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
WARNING: OLD FART RANT AHEAD!
...you have been warned...

So, I was walking through a nearby mall, heading for Target to see if they had any new Transformers I needed (they didn't), and I see a new store called "Toynime". So, I think to myself, "Self, this looks promising", and stop in. First off, there's very few actual toys, mostly plush, cups, t-shirts, and posters. Second, as far as I could tell, its like 90% Pokémon and DragonBall product. ONE Totoro poster, some Marvel (when did that qualify as anime?), some Rick & Morty. Didn't see any classic stuff (Hello Kitty, Sailor Moon, Speed Racer, Astro Boy, Gigantor/Tetsujin, Robotech/Macross, StarBlazers/Yamato, etc). Didn't see much, if any modern stuff that I recognize, either. It was...underwhelming, to say the least.

Now, I don't know how long they've been open, or what their plan for the store truly is. (The person staffing the register did not seem overly interested in being there.) Nor do I know what kind of product is available for a small local business. Maybe they have what they can afford for a fledgling business. I just feel like, if a store has a name like "Toynime", there is a certain expectation that there will be 1) Lots of toys and 2) a reasonable representation of anime from over the years and not just the 2 most well-known properties.

IDK, it just seems like back in the day, an anime specialty store (or decent comic shop, or Suncoast Video, or Sam Goody, or bigger Asian markets) would have a fairly broad selection so there was something for everybody. This store was...disappointing. I guess I'm trying to say, I didn't realize how good I had it back in the day?

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
I'm guessing the person at the counter is likely someone who there to earn some money and doesn't really care to much about what on the shelves, its likely the owner is the one who has the pasion for anime and manga, that's my take!

Earlier on, I watched the latest ep of Wistoria and I kind of had to laugh and feel a bit sorry for the Ice mage guy, to realise that the woman he believes that he can surpass, is in a whole different league compared to him as the spell he using, she invented, when she was just a todler, gotta admit that is rather humilating for him and when the final blow comes, its well deserved, thou a little disapointed in how the tourament ended, it felt unearned for that team!

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Stuff I binged and finished:
Natsume no Yujincho (Natsume and the Book of Friends): A boy who can see yokai. It's good, but very melancholic. I couldn't watch too many eps at once. Not terribly depressing, but... All caught up, but def feels like there's more to come. Nyanko-sensei is so cute.

Sarazanmai: Boys turn into kappas. It's been awhile since I saw an anime that made me go "wtf am I watching???" The kappa angle is ridiculous, the backstories are surprising and dark, but there's also musical songs/stock footage. Some yaoi, too. It didn't feel like it couldn't decide what tone to take, the whole series was mixed up to begin with. Still, I couldn't stop watching.
Warning: it has content that might offend/squick Westerners. If you're familiar with kappa legends: Yes. They go there.

Dance with Devils: It's been awhile since I watched a male harem series. This was most likely adapted from a VN. It was entertaining, and had musical numbers. However, most of the chars were jerks/creeps that don't get much character development since the focus is on what I assume is the "main" route. The not entirely happy ending was a nice change, though naturally leaves itself open for sequels.

Top Bottom