Anime

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
WARNING: OLD FART RANT AHEAD!
...you have been warned...

So, I was walking through a nearby mall, heading for Target to see if they had any new Transformers I needed (they didn't), and I see a new store called "Toynime". So, I think to myself, "Self, this looks promising", and stop in. First off, there's very few actual toys, mostly plush, cups, t-shirts, and posters. Second, as far as I could tell, its like 90% Pokémon and DragonBall product. ONE Totoro poster, some Marvel (when did that qualify as anime?), some Rick & Morty. Didn't see any classic stuff (Hello Kitty, Sailor Moon, Speed Racer, Astro Boy, Gigantor/Tetsujin, Robotech/Macross, StarBlazers/Yamato, etc). Didn't see much, if any modern stuff that I recognize, either. It was...underwhelming, to say the least.

Now, I don't know how long they've been open, or what their plan for the store truly is. (The person staffing the register did not seem overly interested in being there.) Nor do I know what kind of product is available for a small local business. Maybe they have what they can afford for a fledgling business. I just feel like, if a store has a name like "Toynime", there is a certain expectation that there will be 1) Lots of toys and 2) a reasonable representation of anime from over the years and not just the 2 most well-known properties.

IDK, it just seems like back in the day, an anime specialty store (or decent comic shop, or Suncoast Video, or Sam Goody, or bigger Asian markets) would have a fairly broad selection so there was something for everybody. This store was...disappointing. I guess I'm trying to say, I didn't realize how good I had it back in the day?
Theres one of those in a local mall near me. Theres more variety of merch than what you described. But 98% of the store is clearly bootleg. Made me feel skeevy being in there.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I'm watching Bleach for the first time and Ichigo and his dad are fighting? Can this fly in this current day and age? It's parental abuse and um, what do you call it when kids hit their parents? Just so weird to come across it now, haha

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
I stopped watching Bleach after the first main vilian of the series was defeated, simply because it felt like the series had little to really warrent carrying on and it was entering a similar state to Naruto, where it just carrying on for far to long and pretty much lost its idenity, after the first 26 eps or so, that when it starts loosing its idenity and the power scaling, just jumps and suffers from what happened with Dragonball, where much of the established cast, become useless and end up as side characters, something that One piece has been able to avoid

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
I remember getting really irritated by Bleach around that point. Like it felt like bloat for the sake of bloat. Did we really need 13 captains? And 13 co-captains? And every single one of them has to have a fight?

Also i liked the hip-modern teenage Ghostbusters vibe of the earlier stuff. Once they go to Soul Society, the aesthetic of the show drastically changes. Remember that cool graffiti skull looking symbol on Soul Society related stuff? Wheres that aesthetic in the dull feudal japan look of the place once we get there?

and then Ichigo gets 2 asspull powerups/training sequences in the same damn arc? Theres no way this series was holding my attention. Felt like it just spun its wheels and bloated itself cuz it exploded in popularity

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Yeeeeah I took a break from the 13 captains and Bleach as a whole. I DID enjoy the early shinigami stopping eps though.

Now I'm 5 eps into Death Note. I saw the US movie so I'm familiar with how it goes but, wow, it's so tense!

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Just finished watching the latest ep of The Strongest Magician in the Demon Lord's Army Was a Human, pretty good, we get to see Ike's dream starting to become a reailty as humans, Dwarfs & Demons unite under him, but right now, rescuring his superior comes a priorty!

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Spoilers for a certain something in the newest chapter of One Piece. Chapter 1125.
But, a more interesting option, I think, would be to make us THINK that Vegapunk's activated some sort of self-destruct sequence, only for it to turn out to be a LAUNCH sequence instead. Shoot Punk Records into SPACE! Punk Records does kind of look like a space shuttle of sorts. There COULD be thrusters underneath everything. It'd be out of range of Vegapunk, so it'd still be LIKE it was destroyed, but possibly recoverable later on in the story. And it'd be too far for the Marines to get their hands on it. But, we know someone who's in space. And wouldn't it just be INTERESTING if Enel got his hands on all of Vegapunk's research and knowledge? It'd be interesting way to bring Enel back into the story.
lA7Wu.png

Okay, so I was wrong about Punk Records getting shot into space. But, I think I deserve partial credit for predicting this as close as I did, 7 months ago.

I deserve a half-pat on my own back! *Pa-* There. No "T". I didn't earn that "T". But, maybe someday....

I'll admit, though, I was VERY off about how the Gorosei were going to work. I was completely off about that, it seems. Interesting developments.

Fenix Twilight

Citizen
I've said this before but I think Bleach is better read, the anime made a lot changes early on and put filler where there was no need for it, remember the one Soul Reaper who showed up when Ichigo fought the Grand Fisher? Yeah he's filler, added nothing but padding it out.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Just been watching the latest ep of Spice and Wolf, Mechant meets wise wolf, its a intersting show, talking about money in a medieval fictional Europe setting, thus its a lot of talk about trade and stuff, yet the two leads are a intersting pair, a demigod wolf girl and a human mechant man as they travel together, its not high action or anything, but has some moments, nothing seriously flashy as its a world where magic is very suttle with much of the focus upon money and how one might make money, the leads have their own personal goals, Holo, the lead female wants to return to her home, but she has no clue where that is, while Lawance the human man, goal is to one day settle down and setup his own shop somewhere, thus he is conducting business by trading goods between towns and cities!

Teufel

Citizen
This current series is a reboot, there were a couple seasons a number of years ago. Back then a series so heavily focused on trade didn't really interest me, but now it's right up my alley. When I do watch I'll have to figure out which to go with. Seems like the new one keeps the same cast and I have no nostalgia for the earlier adaptation, but newer and shinier doesn't always mean better.

Cybersnark

Citizen
Seems like the new one keeps the same cast and I have no nostalgia for the earlier adaptation, but newer and shinier doesn't always mean better.

The original series is actually better-looking, but only adapted the first (two?) novels.

The new series looks flatter (budget, modern shortcuts/schedules, etc), but has better acting (same actors, but everyone is years more experienced and has pre-existing chemistry), and as of the last few episodes has finally started venturing into the never-before adapted material.

Top Bottom