Avengers 5: DOOMSDAY

M. Virion

If Hell is forever, then Heaven must be a lie
Citizen
There IS a What If where Doom tricks Tony into switching bodies with him. With the multiverse multiversing, it's not outside the realm of believability that they'd go that route.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I don’t even know what to think. Given the film is called “Doomsday”, and the follow up is “Secret War”…how can we be sure RDJ is even playing the REAL Dr Doom? Could there be several? And how are the Fantastic Four connected?

Either way, after D&W, Loki Season 2 and X-Men 97…it feels like the “ship is righting” (at least a bit) with Marvel. Dr Doom alone was enough to get us all excited and to see RDJ back to play him? Pure excitement.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I love Doom, I love Iron Man, I love the rivalry between Doom and Iron Man, I love Robert Downey Jr., and I love Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man.

I'm willing to see where this goes, in other words. Let them cook.

Personal hopes?

1) They put the whole "best actor in the world" bit mentioned right before the reveal to the test, and have him play an entirely different character with a different look to Tony Stark, and

2) To really help sell it, we seldom see him without his mask.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
The idea does sound interesting, but have them make RDJ look different enough from Tony that, should Doom ever be unmasked, no one actually thinks he's Tony.

Like, they see Doom without his mask on and their first reaction is, "Oh, that's Victor Von Doom," and not "Tony?! You're alive!"

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.
Citizen
Can Evil Iron Man work as a big bad? Absolutely. I'd be down for that.

But not at the expense of Doctor Doom. He should be a completely separate and distinct character in his own right.

I mean, I get why they're doing this, but I don't have to like it. It's even worse than what Iron Man 3 did to the Mandarin.

Destron D-69

at Journey's end
Citizen
Marvel just has nobody at the top any more who can say "hey guys this might be a bad idea" but I can believe somebody at corporate got the memos:

"Fans liked RDJ" and "Fans really want Doctor Doom" and just said two birds one stone

MrBlud

Citizen
Given they had to drop Kang. This does screen desperation. At least to me.

Beyond that, I don’t really know enough yet. There are worse ways of doing this (evil Stark) this idea so hopefully they steer clear of those.

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
if they're going to cast him as Victor, so be it... but personally I'm hoping he's not a Stark variant. Don't make him an "evil Iron Man".

RDJ is a great actor, so I have no doubt he can make the role his own.

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.
Citizen
Adapting the existing Kang scripts is probably why they did this. They just subbed in Doom and decided to make him a Stark-variant. I won't be surprised if even more Stark-variants show up too.

tec

Maystor missspelur
Citizen
Not a fan of this casting I dont care how its gonna work RDJ is Iron-Man not Victor
So this will be a pass for me

Good for RDJ get that bag dont get me wrong

Shadhausen

Citizen
I'm not sure about this, but I could see it working if in the end he's revealed to be a rogue Doombot and the real Doom shows up at the end of Secret Wars to scrap him.

Mat-Man

Citizen
I'm not up on my Doom-lore, but (with few exceptions) isn't Victor usually horribly scarred under the mask? It's possible they may go with making RDJr up when he's not wearing the Doom mask, similar to how Ryan Reynolds was for Deadpool, so it "might" make him less recognizable? (I, too, hope they don't go the "Evil Stark Variant" route also.)

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I stand by my earlier speculation that, given they came on stage with over dozen OTHER people wearing Doom costumes…RDJ is just playing one of SEVERAL versions of Dr Doom that will be featured in the film. With Deadpool and Wolverine, and even Flash, audiences seem fine with multiple actors playing different “flavors” of a character.

Top Bottom