Biden-Harris / Dems

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
Seriously, Kamala Harris alienates people. The fence-sitters in battleground states we need to vote for her likely would not do so. She's not the solution to our current problem.

She's capable, yes, but if we learned anything from Hilary Clinton, it's that a qualified and capable candidate that people don't like can't necessarily beat even a person like Trump. We can do better (Is Michelle Obama willing? I think she would draw folks to the polls.).

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
There are frankly far too many misogynists in this country for a woman president to have a chance. Which is absurd and disgusting, but that's how it is until more of the boomers and older gens start dying off. Which is also a disgusting thing to say, but....well, prove me wrong.

Axaday

Citizen
I'm not saying at all that she should take over the ticket. I'm saying she could carefully get out there that it isn't like we won't have a President if he died.

My gut says that a last minute jettison and replace maneuver makes things worse than they are now. I wish the media and now members of Congress would shut up about it and not make him look intransigent for accepting the nomination that he's earned. I do think he should have groomed a workable successor and handed off graciously, but the man has tried a lot of times to be President and once you are President you probably don't just quit.

Edit - The Democrats should be projecting confidence. A lot of good stuff happened in this term. Throwing Joe out with a few months to go and bringing someone in because the name will be familiar projects desperation because that is what it is. It would look wormy and foolish and weak.

Teufel

Citizen
Senior advisor to the Biden campaign former Mayor of Atlanta Keisha Lance Bottoms calls newspaper editorials critical of Biden "undue influence."

Link

Former Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms, now a senior advisor to the Biden campaign, told MSNBC on Monday that the Atlanta Journal-Constitution's editorial board engaged in "undue influence" on the election with an editorial calling for President Biden to end his campaign.

"Let me just say I was very disappointed with the Atlanta Journal-Constitution," she said. "We have talked about making sure we're protecting elections and making sure there's no undue influence, this was undue influence by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution or an attempt to influence."

"Editorial boards are supposed to honor fair elections. I don't think it's fair when an editorial board with ten people sitting in a room are trying to influence an election, especially in a state like Georgia where there's already been discussions about influencing elections," she said.

Kinda Trumpy.

Axaday

Citizen
My wife thinks Michelle Obama should run.....I kinda agree with her.
What color of state do you live in? I live in Oklahoma and maybe that puts me TOO close to it and maybe it doesn't even matter what my neighbors think because of the Electoral College, but around here she is just as poisoned as Hillary. And it's a shame. I think Hillary earned her negatives and Michelle didn't, but there you go.

Edit - I also get a really weird vibe from the idea. I don't think it'd ever be unconstitutional or go to courts, but I really don't like the idea of a someone running after their spouse hit the term limit. I know Hillary and Michelle are not their husbands and I know they didn't sit in the Oval Office and make the decisions. But I suppose that the purpose of the term limit is to keep someone from amassing too much power and I think a spouse team can do that. (And Hillary, if you are listening, divorcing Bill now doesn't fix it for you.). I remember this time 8 years ago when I was pretty sure Hillary was going to win and I didn't love it. I certainly preferred it to Trump winning, but 1980-1988 Bush VP, 1988-1992 Bush POTUS, 1992-2000 Clinton POTUS, 2000-2008 Bush POTUS, 2008-2012 Clinton Secretary of State and then 2016-2020 Clinton POTUS? I would almost back legislation that you can't run for President if there's even been one with your last name in the last 20 years.

Beyond, I really think Michelle wasn't nearly as involved as Hillary was. A sounding board and advisor for her husband in the capacity of his spouse, certainly, but I really don't think she ever wanted to be the First Lady or ever wants to be President. She has a platform now that she can use for whatever and I think she means to just use that.

Last edited:

Axaday

Citizen
Hillary Clinton had THREE DECADES of concentrated Fox News and AM Radio haterade and still got more votes than Trump.
Hillary didn't need the whole 3 decades. She could have lost to Trump sooner. People were SO much better at hating a Democratic President and his wife by 2008 than they were in 1998 too. Plus, she's black.

She only lost because of the Electoral College and only just.
We still have one of those.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
It's EASIER to hate on Hillary Clinton than it is Michelle Obama. Hillary has a slight arrogant edge to her that the Republicans were quick to magnify and focus on. Michelle does not. There's also the baggage brought by her husband, again, not something Michelle would have to deal with. Outside of Republican circles, Barack Obama is generally liked, or at least tolerable. Not that it matters, she, like Jon Stewart, won't run.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
It's EASIER to hate on Hillary Clinton than it is Michelle Obama. Hillary has a slight arrogant edge to her that the Republicans were quick to magnify and focus on. Michelle does not. There's also the baggage brought by her husband, again, not something Michelle would have to deal with.
Well, now I want to see her birth certificate too.

The point to that statement being: republicans do not need to find a reason and will literally manufacture an excuse; the guy who set that standard is still running for office. And it doesn't matter who is running.

Axaday

Citizen
It's EASIER to hate on Hillary Clinton than it is Michelle Obama. Hillary has a slight arrogant edge to her that the Republicans were quick to magnify and focus on. Michelle does not. There's also the baggage brought by her husband, again, not something Michelle would have to deal with. Outside of Republican circles, Barack Obama is generally liked, or at least tolerable. Not that it matters, she, like Jon Stewart, won't run.
I am curious what color of state you live in too. Michelle is definitely called arrogant around here. I know people who say she is a man and call her Michael. I know people who say she was the one that told Barack what to do. And Barack is definitely not better liked than Bill around here. "Not really a citizen" "Not REALLY black" "The most liberal President in history (before Biden came along)" "The most crooked President in history (before Biden came along).

Last edited:

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Don't get me wrong, the right wingers hate the Obama's with a passion(despite many of Barack's policies being more center-right than left), but they NEVER found a way to impeach him and generally speaking, from what I've seen, the Obama's(both of them) are better liked overall than the Clinton's by the fence-sitters, who, really, are the only ones we are likely to reach anyway. At least from what I've seen. Of course some of that may be because I was rather politically apathetic in my 20s, when the second term of Clinton was in full steam and lived with people with mostly right wing views at the time, which likely skewed my views.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Michelle Obama is nothing but media wishcasting. She's made it very clear on many, many occasions that she absolutely hates politics.
Honestly, that makes her more qualified in a way because if she did run it would be out of actual duty(see: the Hitchiker's Guide theory on who is best to put in power) but I also kind of agree with Axaday that these familial connections can be a bit much, and it does feel more like the traditional aristocrat thing of families staying in power. Republic of Haven(if you're a Honorverse reader) anyone? It was a a bit of a caricature in a lot of ways, but the whole Legislaturist families thing is what I'm thinking of here. Even if it is with good intentions, once the norms are set, others can and would use that to keep in power.

Top Bottom