Conspiracy lunatic thread - people who believe in absurd nonsense are dangerous

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
I think it was a case of jumping off a slippery slope. If one conspiracy can be proven or declassified, why not others? Where will it end? If the Tuskegee experiments were real, why not MK-Ultra or using crashed alien tech to make stealth planes?

But it turned out, those hunting for "the Truth(tm)" may have lost the plot entirely, and even if they find it, would anyone really care about alien bodies in drawers in Nevada anymore? Area 51 became a meme about anime sprinting....

This coda to "The X-Files" (remember them?) buried in the middle of the second relaunch season, seems particularly relevant in much the same way that the main series seems overtaken by the zeitgeist....

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
It was real in that they really did look into whether mind control was possible, but we still don't know what, if anything, they found, let alone what they did with that information.

On that note, this popped up in my YouTube feed just t' other day.

Anonymous X

Citizen
And more disturbingly, right-wing conspiracy theories like "Jews run everything" have started being adopted by the far left.
If by “started”, you mean back to before your great grandfather’s time. Antisemitic conspiracy theories are just as much an established part of the far-left as they are far-right ideology.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Just another reason to hate the terms 'left wing' and 'right wing', to be honest. There are many axes in someones views and while SOME things tend to cluster generally along a traditional right/left divide, that doesn't mean EVERYTHING does. There is a sizable minority within what most would call 'the left' who hold antisemitic views. I'm not quite sure how much of it is simply leftovers from centuries of European beliefs or more recent due to conflating some questionable actions of the Israeli government with the Jewish people as a whole.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
True, antisemitism has never been a left, right, or center thing; it just is.

But it does seem particularly drawn to other radical ideologies like a magnet. Not so popular with apathetic, apolitical types.

NovaSaber

Citizen
or more recent due to conflating some questionable actions of the Israeli government with the Jewish people as a whole.
"Jews run everything", even as obvious hyperbole, means controlling more than just Israel, though.

It's more that people see how other countries (especially the US) are still supporting Israel despite its actions, and blame that on a Jewish conspiracy instead of remembering that the US has supported a lot of governments who were doing things most Americans disapproved of over the years.

KidTDragon

Now with hi-res avatar!
Citizen

homer-drooling-gif-file-1008kb-84efo16g9iaqfioc.gif

NovaSaber

Citizen

Independent presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr. said Friday he “won’t take sides” on the subject of the truth of the 9/11 attacks but would push for transparency if elected president.

Kennedy wrote in a post on the social platform X that the government “routinely” lying makes determining what is a conspiracy theory and what isn’t difficult to determine but he would not favor one side on theories about 9/11.

“My take on 9/11: It’s hard to tell what is a conspiracy theory and what isn’t. But conspiracy theories flourish when the government routinely lies to the public. As President I won’t take sides on 9/11 or any of the other debates,” Kennedy said. “But I can promise is that I will open the files and usher in a new era of transparency.”

Because of course he won't.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
So does that mean that I am 'UnGnome of Borg' Do I get one of those sweet laser eye things and a silver catsuit?

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Well, I mean... elon musk cyborg where you just get a tracking chip in your head, or an ACTUAL cyborg with useful augmetics?

Top Bottom