Energon Universe - ongoing Transformers and G.I. Joe comics from Skybound

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
That what, now?
Dog Man is a book series by Dav Pilkey, who also wrote the Captain Underpants series. They seem to be popular with the elementary school crowd.

(I prefer Dav's earlier works, "Kat Kong" and "Dogzilla" myself)

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
That what, now?

-ZacWilliam it sells waaaaaayyyy better than any Marvel or DC.

Swerve

Life of the Party
Citizen
I just read the new Transformer issue...still enjoying it
Ultra Magnus gets rebuilt. Not sure why Prime didn't want Arcee to take out Shockwave. Right now he is the defacto leader of the Decepticons. What are Spike and Beachcomber up to? Spike says he doesn't want to fight but he can't just leave. I hope they find a way Beachcomber can stick around and still keep his ethics. Magnus get cold feet when he sees Shockwave. Can't believe they didn't have him say, "I can't deal with that right now". Still don't feel like they are writing Cliffjumper like Cliffjumper. He keeps getting Bumblebee stories...I just wish they would bring back Bumblebee. Cliffjumper is tougher than this not just brave and gutsy...that's Bee. ..and yeah with Bumblebee being my favorite character I want him back.

MrBlud

Citizen
I don’t know if it’s intentional, but Prime’s “weakness” is slowly morphing from endearing to a liability. It is humanizing to see him sad over accidentally killing a deer but stopping someone from shooting a Nazi in the face (who is actively killing hundreds of deer and literally torturing two of his friends a foot away!) means Optimus has a dangerous case of the no-death blues

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Dog Man is a book series by Dav Pilkey, who also wrote the Captain Underpants series. They seem to be popular with the elementary school crowd.

(I prefer Dav's earlier works, "Kat Kong" and "Dogzilla" myself)

-ZacWilliam it sells waaaaaayyyy better than any Marvel or DC.
Ah, gotcha. Thanks!

Swerve

Life of the Party
Citizen
_storage_emulated_0_Pictures_PicTalk_pictalk1723731038832.jpg

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Transformers #11 is out!

Yeah, this is another solid issue. I enjoyed myself. It contained 100% less animal deaths than last issue. Although it promises...an infinite amount of animal deaths in the future, potentially. They probably won't go through with that, though. This is still pretty dark. And it's probably going to get darker next issue.

I do wonder how they'll finish out this arc. There's a few options on who we might end up losing. Because I'm pretty sure we'll be losing someone in issue #12.

Interplanetary surf's up, brahs! Thems some gnarly galactic waves! "I will surf the moon!"

So, it's a choice between bringing back ONE Ultra Magnus or a handful of other Autobots. Yeah...I don't know know enough the battle abilities of any of these guys to really judge that kind of decision, I guess.

"Can you please just repair my cat?" This is going to blow up in Shockwave's single eye SO BAD.

Okay, so it's less that Elita-One hates Arcee and more like Elita-One kind of hates EVERYBODY. Fair enough.

Uh-Oh, everyone's going full G2. You never go full G2.

Skywarp is actually working with the Autobots now. I guess he's coming around. Despite being plugged into a wall and unable to move. Sure. Cool.

So...Arcee's gonna die, right? Never promise to come back in a action comic, Arcee. You just painted a giant bullseye on yourself that the author can't resist.

Oh, so Shockwave isn't just planning on killing a pod of whales. He's killing ALL sea life to make into Energon. Well, that's worse. So much worse.

Beachcomber's just letting this happen and moving further inland? Uh, how is Beachcomber expecting the planet to survive without it's oceans? The planet would be dead in a few days. Two-thirds of the planet's oxygen comes from sea algae.

Oh, poor Cliffjumper and Jazz...

Okay, so, Cliffjumper's ALSO in the crosshairs, since Shockwave's using him as a human shield. I'm still betting on Arcee being the one to bite it, though. That way Cliffjumper gets ALL the trauma. As is dramatically appropriate. Although, Optimus is always up for a needless self-sacrifice. Optimus is always a option in a "who's gonna die" betting pool, since he cheats at the game.

Well, Devastator's here. That's how you know it's a finale.

So, is there still a White Optimus inside of Ultra Magnus? Because he sure is acting lily-livered! Ultra Magnus you get back here! We gave up getting Cosmos, Warpath, Inferno, and Powerglide back up and running to get you on your feet! Okay, seriously, I honestly can't blame him after being tortured for hundreds of years. But, still, not a great look.

Last edited:

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Destro #3 is out!

It's another solid issue. It's mostly a series of fights, so there's not that much to talk about. But, it's done pretty well. I was entertained.

And there are a few twists to the story, too. And if they're going the direction I think they might, they're doing something I didn't see coming.

Well, first off, the person that Destro spends most of the issue fighting is Chameleon. Who I'm not that familiar with, but who has been in the past been the half-sister of the Baroness. But, this one's blonde. Which makes me think this could be Cover Girl, undercover for GI Joe Dark from the Free Comic Book Day issue. (We really need a actual name for these guys). At least that's my speculation. Maybe they just made Chameleon blonde and that's all there is to it.

But, if you've already seen the cover for the first issue of the upcoming GI Joe comic, that would mean we have a few Joes and Cobra members swapped.

And I kind of wonder if Destro will end up joining in on the character swapping, too? Because he's captured by the end of the issue. And I could actually see them having Destro being forced to join GI Joe Dark. Which means Destro and Baroness would get to meet while they're both working for the Joes. Kind of a weird twist, but it does add a little something to the story, I guess. If I'm right about any of this.

Magnusblitz

Citizen
Not really surprising, most of the stuff he's done is only like 5-8 issues; I think Extremity is his longest at 12. So his Transformers run will have been twice as long as anything else he's ever done.

The real interesting part is gonna be seeing what Skybound does after he leaves. Continue as an ongoing with a new creative team? End the ongoing and start doing minis, at least for awhile?

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Yeah, honestly, I was a little surprised he stayed past issue 12 or so. He likes to keep trying new things. I suppose he might have some creator-owned books he wants to focus on for a bit.

I suppose the easiest thing they can do is just have Mike Spicer or Jorge Corona take over the writing duties, too. They might do okay. Or maybe Kirkman himself will take it over, if Void Rivals wraps up by that time. We'll see. A lot can happen in a year.

Also, the November Solicitations are out!

Not much to say about this this time around. Other than to mention that the first issue of the GI Joe ongoing comes out in November. I'm actually a little interested to see where they're going with this, with everything they've set up in the various miniseries.

Last edited:

MrBlud

Citizen
Void Rivals #12

Sure, just end the book on a shot of giant, ominous looking PLANET and then a shot of GREEN EYES opening up. Whatever could that be. Might be WHY the leaders didn’t want their people close enough to touch forehead stones.

Also, Lord Gyconi!!

Gizmoboy

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I haven't read any comics in years (not even IDW). As someone who really doesn't normally get into this side of the fiction, is it worth dipping my toes in before there get to be too many releases?

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I think the Energon Universe is worth giving a shot. Be warned though, it can be a bit violent, at times. Especially if you're at all more sensitive about violence towards animals.

If you want, you can skip straight to the main Transformer book and not miss out on too much. The first arc of Void Rivals technically comes first, but it only barely introduces one character, you can skip it for now. I'd also recommend checking out the Cobra Commander miniseries, since that has a few important plot bits.

And try to pick up some version of the Energon Universe Special one-shot. Either the Free Comic Book Day or retail edition, depending on which is easier to get. They're the same thing, I just don't know which one is cheaper to get right now. Though, that would spoil other books, if you care about the Void Rivals or GI Joe sides of things. But, it'd also be a good way to "sample" those books and see if you want to dip your toes deeper into this universe or not. So, it's up to you. It's optional, but recommended reading.

Void Rivals will likely be important down the line, but....you can come back to it, if you decide you want more of this universe, since it probably reads better in trade, anyway. The Duke, Destro, and Scarlett minis are nice additions to the GI Joe side of things, but not really important if you only care about the Transformers side of things.

Void Rivals #12 is out!

It's good. We get some teases. But...they are still TEASING things, instead of actually paying them off, still. This book can be a painfully slow burn, sometimes. It has gotten better, though. More stuff is happening. I would just personally like it if they stepped on the gas a little more than they have been.

But, yeah. There is a BIG tease this issue. It's probably worth it for the tease alone.
I...guess Proximus is getting a kid sidekick. Okay. This book makes weird choices, sometimes.

"What's it all for?" Don't make me empathize with Skuxxoid! Stop that!

Aww, Darak gave Solila his hand...droid. Kind of sweet. I guess.

Oh, they touched crystals. How...lewd? Which awakens....something within the black hole. I'm guessing Zerta. It doesn't look like Unicron, even though it FEELS like it could be Unicron. It doesn't even look like a proper Transformer, though. Just a detailed robot in a fetal position.

And regarding LBD "Nytetrayn"'s question.
Oh, it's over?
No, it's not over yet. I just think that within a year, it MIGHT be? By the time Daniel Warren Johnson leaves the main book, it's not impossible that Void Rivals wraps up it's story and Kirkman decides it's HIS turn to play with the toys, more directly. Or something.

There's no sign that's actually going to be the case. I just have a feeling that Void Rivals is probably the lowest selling of the Energon Universe books. So, they might decide to replace it with something else, purely for business reasons. But, I could be completely off on that. I have no idea how well or poorly Void Rivals is actually selling.

From the letters page, it sounds like they likely have plans for Void Rivals at least until issue 24. But, it seems very..."convenient" to me that it seems like they have plans up to around the same amount of issues as Transformers. Now, that's just how comics work, you do plan things out for the future. But....

I have a feeling that, eventually, we will get a big crossover event with all the Energon Universe books. And after that happens, it'd be a pretty good time to re-launch and re-number a few of the books. Give the whole universe a new focus, as it were. Mix things up. Maybe combine a few books by adding a Void Rivals character into GI Joe or something. In order to make room for new books. And I could see that happening around the 24 issue mark for Void Rivals and Transformers. Around this time next year, they could be starting a big crossover event.

But, that's all speculation on my part.

Last edited:

Top Bottom