Energon Universe - ongoing Transformers and G.I. Joe comics from Skybound

Magnusblitz

Citizen
I just have a feeling that Void Rivals is probably the lowest selling of the Energon Universe books. So, they might decide to replace it with something else, purely for business reasons. But, I could be completely off on that. I have no idea how well or poorly Void Rivals is actually selling.

Looking at the sales figures on ICv2 (so can only see top 50; number in parentheses is overall rank in units sold among all single issues that month, spoilered for space):

July 2024
(5) Transformers #8
(16) Destro #2
(31) Void Rivals #11

June 2024
(5) Transformers #9
(9) Scarlett #1
(11) Destro #1
(36) Void Rivals #10

May 2024
(4) Transformers #8
(18) Cobra Commander #5
(21) Energon Universe 2024 Special (wow)
(32) Void Rivals #9

April 2024
(3) Transformers #7
(12) Cobra Commander #4
(26) Duke #5

March 2024
(6) Transformers #6
(18) Cobra Commander #3
(25) Void Rivals #7

So yeah, TF is easily their top seller (frequently in the top 5 of all comics period), the GIJOE stuff is doing pretty well, usually in the top 10-15, and Void Rivals is definitely the slowest seller of the Energon Universe stuff, in the 30s. Still nothing to sniff at though, that lands around the same area as titles like Wonder Woman or Immortal Thor, and Image doesn't have much else that hits the top 50.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Oh, it's consistently selling in the Top 50! That's pretty good, then. They might want to keep that going for a long haul. Glad to see I was wrong!

I'm still not sure how long Kirkman, himself, will stay on the book. If only because he likes to move on to different projects from time to time. But, if it keeps selling within the Top 50, then I could see him getting someone else to take it over, rather than combining it with another book.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Scarlett #4 is out!

This issue is basically one big ninja fight. Which isn't really a bad thing. All the action is fun. It just doesn't give one much to talk about.

We do finally find out what the weapon is that the Arashikage want so bad this issue. So, that's kind of a major development.

Otherwise, yeah, this is another solid issue. Although, again, nothing in the way of actual Transformer tie-in, if you only care about that side of things.
We take a moment away from this exciting Ninja Heist to bring you FEELINGS! Okay, it's kind of sweet for Scarlett and Jinx to reunite, but it's weird timing. Considering they're surrounded by ninja and yakuza and thieves. This feels like this should wait for a different moment. But, I guess being in a building that isn't full of the Arashikage's own cameras and spy equipment means this might actually BE the best moment they get to reconnect.

I don't know why Scarlett assumes Jinx can't attack her while they're hugging. It seems like that'd be the easiest time to stab her in the back. Also, Jinx is more upset about Scarlett killing her plants than about her infiltrating her ninja mission. Priorities!

Also, Scarlett finds out about Cobra for the first time! I don't recognize any of these Cobra agents, but they might be cameos that I just don't recognize.

And we FINALLY find out what the weapon is that the Arashikage have been after this whole time. The Sword of Life (AKA Inochi no Ken)! No, not Excalibur from the cartoon episode "Excalibur". And not the Sword of Destiny from the DiC season episode "The Sword". I'm pretty sure this Sword of Life is new. And...probably made out of Energon, since it's glowing pink? I'm guessing this is a Energon Saber of some sort. Not sure what that means going forward, but if I'm right, it could be a interesting development.

Top Bottom