Harris-Walz / Dems

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
I mean I get the reason for it. If you allow companies to decide what political ads to air then they are going to only air ones that align with their personal views/politics. People in the south would never see anything for a democrat ever.

You can argue that there should be an exception for propaganda, but technically all political ads would fall under certain definitions of it.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
No, bernies got a good point: please applaud the republican when they do the right thing for the right reason. Maybe they'll come to understand that there is a difference between positive attention negative attention, and actually want positive attention from now.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
I don't think we'll get to the point where we've Pavlovian trained the Cheney family into being good people, but I agree that we should applaud when even they realize the threat and take steps. That's a big move for them.

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
That's one poll and all the others are saying Harris is ahead.

NYT has this to say about that.

To me, the result is a bit surprising. It’s the first lead for Mr. Trump in a major nonpartisan national survey in about a month. As a result, it’s worth being at least a little cautious about these findings, as there isn’t much confirmation from other polls.

That said, it wouldn’t be hard to explain if Vice President Harris’s support really has faded a bit in recent weeks. After all, she was benefiting from an ideal news environment: an uninterrupted month of glowing coverage from President Biden’s departure from the race in July to the Democratic convention in August. It’s possible she was riding a political sugar high; if so, it would make sense if she came off those highs in the two uneventful weeks since the convention.

There’s also a plausible reason the Times/Siena poll would be the first to capture a shift back toward Mr. Trump: There simply haven’t been many high-quality surveys fielded since the convention, when Ms. Harris was riding high. There was a scattering of online polls this week, but there hasn’t been a traditional high-quality survey with interviews conducted after Aug. 28.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
I don't think we can trust polls from most news agencies anymore. They have far too much invested in the horse race to be anything near impartial. The potential of panic and the subsequent news generated from that panic is more than enough to sway an organization with a corporate overlord to perhaps not use the most impartial of criteria or standards.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Cause measuring the outcome would change it. Trump also said schools are forcing kids to have transgender surgery, and the NYT didn't even comment on it. Corporate media is entirely too invested in turning it into a horse race for their own profit. The majority of polls have always indicated tight races and the last decade has seen republicans losing volumes and times they shouldn't have.

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.
Citizen
FB friend:
Expect Trump to use the Gish Gallop tomorrow. He'll throw so much fallacious or dishonest bullshit at Kamala Harris that she won't be able to answer all of it, so she'll have to either ignore most of his lies or spread herself too thin trying to answer them all.

One defense against the Gish Gallop is to categorize an entire group of the galloper's lies as all fitting a theme or central line of attack, and then go after that theme or line of attack. I hope she's been prepared on this.
Media bias prediction: unless Kamala Harris absolutely annihilates Donald Trump in tonight's debate, the media will report the result as "disappointing" for her camp, and thereby imply that Trump won.

Furthermore, any misstep she makes will be analyzed in great detail and mentioned in headlines, while Trump's many lies and confused forays into meaningless gibberish will be glossed over as "a typical Trump performance" or somesuch.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
We already knew that trump was going to be graded on a curve, and overly generously applauded for a performance that would disqualify anyone else. We knew.

Corporate media needs to understand the american population is not quite as stupid as they think they are: and will actually see and understand what they are watching. They'll say trump did okay, and harris bombed... but that's not the reality that most americans will see. They'll the truth of it.

Axaday

Citizen
CNN is saying this debate is for all the marbles.

But usually the result of a debate is that both sides are impressed by their candidate and say they won. It will be unusual if she just LOSES.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
They might not be wrong: there's a huge bias in favour of trump in corporate media. They have an outsized effect on perception. I have faith in most of the american public to see past it, but their opinions are still broadcast to the rest of the world whom don't get a view from ground level.

There's a reason nato is making an american proof long term resource plan for ukraine. There's a reason why the EU and canada are trying to diversify trade treaties in southeast asia.

KidTDragon

Now with hi-res avatar!
Citizen
FB friend: One defense against the Gish Gallop is to categorize an entire group of the galloper's lies as all fitting a theme or central line of attack, and then go after that theme or line of attack. I hope she's been prepared on this.

I've heard that the best defense against the Gish Gallop is calling attention to it.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
I think the best way to deal with it is to ignore it and answer the moderator's question as if she was in an interview rather than a debate. And reply to any prompts of "Vice President, your response?" with "I already answered the question. Did he? It didn't sound like it to me."

Paladin

Citizen
with only four months left in office, President Biden has apparently decided he's not doing phrasing anymore.

Attachments

• JB911.png
    JB911.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 34

Top Bottom