NOT a New Member.
Citizen
aaand canceled.

However...

Masterverse_4b_ForEternia.jpg

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Damn... this is why you don't do original cartoon series on Netflix anymore. I was wondering when it was going to happen, not if... but at least the series ended on a decent place. It could have been a far worse cliffhanger(And form that post above looks like the comics can run with it now?)

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I assume they CAN, but that particular comic series is more of a anthology of different universes. The first issue is already out and it features the darker universe of a alternate He-Man who turns out to be...

Castle Grayskullman!

...Do people remember Castle Grayskullman?
castle-grayskullman-poe-ghostal-review-packaging.jpg

This is NOT like "Masters of the Multiverse", though. These characters aren't crossing over (yet), it's just the Sorceress looking into different possible worlds. The art on this series will probably be more varied, though.

Alongside a story about a MUCH lighter world illustrated by Sergio Aragones (aka the creator of Groo! ...Try not to hold that against him...) that's more reminiscent of the ORIGINAL "Savage" He-Man from the mini-comics.

But, Netflix He-Man MIGHT end up getting a mini-series of his own. Time will tell. I think there's already at least one Graphic Novel out there. (Though it's probably mostly a side story)

91rfCQl7teL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

I haven't read it myself, but it exists.

Last edited:

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I assume they CAN, but that particular comic series is more of a anthology of different universes. The first issue is already out and it features the darker universe of a alternate He-Man who turns out to be...

Castle Grayskullman!

...Do people remember Castle Grayskullman?
castle-grayskullman-poe-ghostal-review-packaging.jpg

This is NOT like "Masters of the Multiverse", though. These characters aren't crossing over (yet), it's just the Sorceress looking into different possible worlds. The art on this series will probably be more varied, though.

Alongside a story about a MUCH lighter world illustrated by Sergio Aragones (aka the creator of Groo! ...Try not to hold that against him...) that's more reminiscent of the ORIGINAL "Savage" He-Man from the mini-comics.

But, Netflix He-Man MIGHT end up getting a mini-series of his own. Time will tell. I think there's already at least one Graphic Novel out there. (Though it's probably mostly a side story)

91rfCQl7teL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

I haven't read it myself, but it exists.
Who wouldn't remember him, with that epic commercial?!

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Damn... this is why you don't do original cartoon series on Netflix anymore. I was wondering when it was going to happen, not if... but at least the series ended on a decent place. It could have been a far worse cliffhanger(And form that post above looks like the comics can run with it now?)
Makes me wonder which end called it: Was it Netflix, unhappy with viewing numbers? Or was it Mattel, unsatisfied with the toy sales?

I’m inclined to put this on Netflix, given the sheer amount of product that seems on the docket for release. You don’t release a $100 play set when your show is axed and major retailers are dumping your line, not to mention a brand refresh. If anything, some of the Savage Eternia figures like He-Man and Skeletor basic figures look like redesigns intended for the next season. Entertainment Earth has a bunch of stuff hitting in March, fans would be wise to snap up what they can before supply dries up.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
Also saw the Masterverse NA He-Man last week. Didn’t realize it was a timed Target exclusive, I think? Website says exclusive, but it could also be a timed deal as well.

Either way, as much as I love NA…the figure just didn’t click with me. This was a time where they seemed accurate to a fault to the original toy, and I would have preferred a little more reinvention. That, and the 7” scale, in general, hasn’t been jiving with me. Maybe it’s because it’s so similar to Classics, which I spent far too much money on? And I think did a better job on the concept, in general, especially the head sculpt. Probably game for NA Skeletor, since the Classics one ended up a little “dopey” due to the figure construction.
I think I’m going to play the long game and wait and see what Mattel does for Origins (since they already have the figure tooled up from that overpriced 4 pack)

Dake

Citizen
Makes me wonder which end called it: Was it Netflix, unhappy with viewing numbers? Or was it Mattel, unsatisfied with the toy sales?

I’m inclined to put this on Netflix, given the sheer amount of product that seems on the docket for release. You don’t release a $100 play set when your show is axed and major retailers are dumping your line, not to mention a brand refresh. If anything, some of the Savage Eternia figures like He-Man and Skeletor basic figures look like redesigns intended for the next season. Entertainment Earth has a bunch of stuff hitting in March, fans would be wise to snap up what they can before supply dries up.

Yeah, Netflix has become pretty notorious for just canceling stuff.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Well when you decide to start producing your own stuff after all your previous content licensors decide to make their own platforms, and continuously make more than you can handle while losing revenue when subscribers jump ship, it does tend to give the axe to things. Granted I do think Toy Sales also were a factor as in truth I never saw most MOTU products flying off the shelves, but this does feel more on part of Netflix as of late.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
ON top of that, Netflix contracts don't pay out the full salary until the 3rd production season. That's why a lot of things last only 1 or 2 seasons, as the way it all works out they have to pay more each season, so they only do it for things they really make bank on. It's part of why I was already half-expecting the Netflix show to get canned even before all the recent cancelation waves due to Netflix's other problems.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
To be fair, trying to judge sales on kids lines is a bit tricky these days. Companies really aren’t promoting them, and by nature, have a slower cycle than we’re used to in collector centric lines. My observations were that they were, seemingly, solid sellers. New characters were seemingly appearing “on schedule” and stuff was being refreshed. Maybe not flying off the shelves, but most action figure products don’t seem to do that anymore (barring collectors snapping up exclusives or something)

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
I feel like this is going to be hard to get: Savage Eternia Moss Man. I can only find him for sale on the international Mattel Shop site, alongside the Savage Eternia Skeletor (new design)

Neither are in the case mix Entertainment Earth is offering for sale in the US.
Update: Read the listings better, they are being listed on Mattel’s online sales sites, but neither appear in stock. These look like “Savage Eternia wave 2” figures, which may well be cancelled, but not soon enough to avoid being listed on the site. Then again, MOTU has a LONG history of lasting longer in Europe compared to the US market.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
Uh Oh. So, I had some extra Amazon Credit from work (15 years working, yay!) and went ahead and ordered the Origins Snake Armor He-Man (my favorite variation of He-Man) and 200x Skeletor. I think I may have a new collecting “itch”.

More thoughts later, but I will say that the head sculpt ended up SO much better than all the promotional shots. I don’t know what the deal was with the promo photography, but the final version is quite striking. I was hesitant to get him based on that photography, but I’m glad reality proved me wrong in that regard.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
CGI Motu is cancelled? Crud! I have to find that possessed guard Tri Klops again!

Edit - whew! I found him (and an authentics Primal). I have a backlog of toys to open but from CGI Motu, it was Tri-Klops who I wanted.

IMG_20230228_181447.jpg

Last edited:

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
You gotta watch those collection itches. Your bank account will pay for it. Believe me, I know! 😭
I think I’ll be fine. While I have some general nostalgia and few select memories of the original MOTU line (like getting the rare 1987 Fakor for Christmas, or the smaller Bionosaurs), it was really the 200x series that cemented a strong attachment to the brand. It took a kooky old franchise and updated it to something FAR more than those old toys and mini comics presented. And of the villains, I’ve long found the Snakemen to be far more compelling foes than the classic villains, much less the Horde (who have come across to me as “Skeletor and crew Version 2”.

So I’m largely settling to the 200x derived characters, even if It looks like I’ll have to wait for some. But at least I know a LOT of them are likely on deck. And a good way to refresh a lot of legacy characters down the line. As is, Zodak (with a K), Kobra Khan and several others are a part swap, belt and/or redeco away, especially the Lords of Power iterations. I do have to say I’m a bit disappointed that more of the Snakemen (especially the Rattlor concept) didn’t make it into the CGI Series toy line (or Webstor for that matter).

Speaking of the Netflix toy line, BBTS seems to have gotten a line on the the last couple basic figures of Moss Man and Skeletor. Might be a solid chance for to grab the last couple figures.

The writer that posted about the CGI series “not being renewed” has tried to walk back her comments after the blow up about the series cancelation. But after the apparent mass dump of the toy line…I find it hard to believe that the series is going to continue. Then again, Voltron’s toy line puttered out after less than a year, while the show lived on to its conclusion.

Caldwin

Meow!
Citizen
Just want to bump this because we were having a nice thing going on in this thread before some troll decided to do some weird crap in a totally unnecessary thread.

Top Bottom