Hyrule Town Square

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Interesting concept, mechanically. Hopefully it's as interesting in execution. Glad to see Nintendo is still willing to play with one of their core franchises in such a way.

Caldwin

Meow!
Citizen
I will say that the constant placing of echos and the insane length of menu items you have to scroll through sounds like it could be tedious if done wrong. But I thought the same thing about Tears of the Kingdom's build mechanic before it came out and it turned out to be really awesome.

Ungnome

Citizen
Looks like they are essentially bringing the creative mechanics from ToTK to a more traditional 2d Zelda environment. I'm all for it, personally, assuming they can nail the UI so that selecting your echo isn't overly cumbersome.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
Bynl66K.jpeg

I mean.... yes?

Caldwin

Meow!
Citizen
I mean, do the CD-i games even count? They may star Nintendo characters. But I don't recall them ever being considered canon and they weren't even made by Nintendo.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
There is no "The Legend of" in that game's title. That's the important distinction.

The only canon game that is the exception to that rule is Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. All other canon games contain "The Legend of Zelda" in their titles.

Ungnome

Citizen
I mean, do the CD-i games even count? They may star Nintendo characters. But I don't recall them ever being considered canon and they weren't even made by Nintendo.
Well, there are at least 6 other Nintendo sanctioned Zelda games not made by Nintendo, granted three of them are definitely not canon.

Oracle of Ages, Oracle of Seasons and Minish Cap were all developed by Flagship/Capcom, though they were published by Nintendo and are generally considered canon. Then there's the two Hyrule Warriors games and finally Cadence of Hyrule, which was developed by a small, indie studio.

Caldwin

Meow!
Citizen
Well, sure, but those games were actually widely considered to be good.

I mean, to be fair, I never actually played the CDi games myself. But when every single source I ever see pans it without exception and the video capture does nothing but support the narrative, it's kinda hard not to take their word for it.

Except for the animated series from the Super Show. That's highly underrated.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
The best way to play the CDi games nowadays is to not do that to yourself, and just play Arzette The Jewel of Faramore instead.

All the "charm" of the CDi games, with only a fraction of the pain! And even some actual enjoyment sprinkled in!

...Fine, there actually are fan "remasters" for two of the three CDi games for modern computers floating around somewhere on the interwebs. But, Arzette is probably still a more enjoyable experience, overall.

Last edited:

Caldwin

Meow!
Citizen
I almost want to try and find those games out of sheer morbid curiosity. But I'm afraid I just might find them.

Ungnome

Citizen
Yup, as official as the live action Mario movie. At least the Mario movie has enough cheese that it entered the 'so bad it's good' territory for many. Kept Nintendo from handing out any of their franchises to third parties until the late 90s and even longer outside of handheld releases.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Nintendo gave them the license to use the Zelda characters and stuff, but not the license to actually use the "The Legend of Zelda" branded name.

Just like with the Hyrule Warriors games.

Ungnome

Citizen
Eh, minor difference, really. They didn't use Legend of Zelda for the Tingle games or Link's Crossbow Training either. Simply means they are spinoffs/side games.

Top Bottom