Hyrule Town Square

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Canon or not, there is an example of a playable Zelda in a Nintendo sanctioned game before this so The Mighty Mollusk's post is both factually and technically correct, The ad doesn't say anything about canon, it simply states "Play as Zelda for the first time". LoZ canon is fluid anyway. Nintendo themselves can't even be bothered to keep a consistent timeline for the games.

Agent X

Kreon Bastard
Citizen
From my understanding of the Phillips situation; Nintendo was trying to pull out of letting them play with their toys but things were so far along (production wise, and legal wise) they couldn't stop them. So THOSE games didn't even have the support. Like when you ask someone if you can do something, knowing full well they can't do anything to stop you.

So, if correct, it's another of several reasons why Nintendo is adamant, and correct, about striking down and out any mention, reference, or even existence of those games.

Then you have nerds who insist on "um..... actually" just to show off.

But the fact Nintendo insists on the "Play as the first time as Zelda!" when Hyrule Warriors exist....

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Either way, the answer to "Am I a joke to you?" when it comes to that (and the other two CD-i games) is nothing short of a big fat "YES!"

On a related note, this popped up in my feed:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Even more new gameplay footage is shown interspersed with some from the first two trailers in this silent audio-less video taken from Nintendo's Japanese website for the game:

Sjogre

Citizen
Fighting an evil Link... is not a surprise. I'm guessing that the "mysterious sword" is somehow possessed of Link's will, though. Also, Zelda might get the sword by beating up Link.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I don't see anything new or different about that timeline from what was already seen in the one on the official Zelda website (which was based on the one from the Encyclopedia book, which was itself an updated version of the Historia timeline).

Shadewing

Citizen
I think as long as they continue to deny Hyrule Warriors as cannon games, they're not much way to make them fit. But HW1 gives us a Hyrule where the timelines merge, and it can be said that leads to the new BOTW/TOTK timeline where elements from all the games come together. Its kinda Occum's Razor, but it still works imo.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
But HW1 gives us a Hyrule where the timelines merge
If you got that from MatPat, he was wrong. There is no timeline merging of any kind at any point in that game's story. Some portals are opened at different points in the story, but by the very end of the game, all of that is completely undone with Hyrule reverted back to the same status quo it had at the very beginning of the game. MatPat ignored/overlooked the game's ending when he made his video.

I do, however, agree that that game could be used as a bridge between Twilight Princess and BOTW/TOTK (essentially placing those two games on the Child Timeline), but for reasons unrelated to any quantum convergence of divergent histories.

Blot

Citizen
If it makes you feel better, this month marked the ten year anniversary of the original Hyrule Warriors.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Echos of Wisdom just keeps looking better. I just don't know how Nintendo keeps doing it with their mainline franchises over the past decade. It's like the company has been going through a renaissance since the Switch came out. Now if current Nintendo would just put some of those resources towards a new F-Zero or Starfox and not just towards Mario and Zelda.

Sjogre

Citizen
So Nintendo released a new official timeline placing BotW and TotK in the.... in their own timeline camp.

Not a surprise, although it's nice to see it mentioned in something official. Breath wasn't concerned with fitting in the established timelines, and Tears wasn't the slightest bit subtle about the two being their own thing that was only using elements from the rest of the series as desired.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
It's the same timeline (agnostic BOTW/TOTK positioning and all) that's been on the official website since not long after TOTK's release last year:

Last edited:

Top Bottom