IDW's Having Problems Again-Layoffs and New Bosses

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
This is so much sadder than the Dreamwave implosion. At least that was spectacular. This is just a humiliating death spiral that's just spiraling and spiraling and spiraling like a clogged toilet.

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
But muh Tmnt and Sonic comics

and obviously all the poor people losing their jobs and needing to feed themselves and their families.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
But muh Tmnt and Sonic comics

and obviously all the poor people losing their jobs and needing to feed themselves and their families.

The licenses could be stripped from them any time and given to another company, espeically if the owners feel that, its the best thing to do and from what I understand right now, the company that has the TF license is outselling everything else in the market of US comics and if the owners of Sonic & TMMT finally awake up and see the numbers and think "Ok, something is seriously wrong with IDW, lets move our IP, to another company to avoid brand damaging actions!"

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Well, according to the article they still have a "President of Publishing Operations", Tara McCrillis. She used to be a Co-Publisher, until she got promoted.

So, I'm guessing they're just having one person do the job of 2 people. Which isn't great, but also isn't uncommon right now, either. But, that's just my guess. I don't know anything that it doesn't say in the article.

CoffeeHorse

Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Why did they need a Publisher and a President of Publishing Operations?

IDW seems like a company that could be small but tried to organize like a bloated Fortune 500 company because they assumed all companies are just supposed to turn into that because because.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I mean, that's probably what IDW was asking themselves, too. Which is why they decided they only needed one of them around.

My best guess, and this is only a guess, is that the "Publisher" was dealing more with internal factors. Dealing with the actual creatives and making sure the comics got put together and shipped. While, the "President" was dealing with more external factors. Raising money from investors and trying to get new talent and negotiating new deals (probably mostly with other companies to do more Artist Editions, which IDW is pretty well known for).

Also another of the four people let go have been identified. The Marketing Manager.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I post so much bad news about IDW here. But, we finally have some good news! They finally hired a new Editor in Chief!

This replaces the old one they lost back in June. Still, they are still hiring people!

CoffeeHorse

Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
If this CEO actually manages to turn this company around he's going to be a legend.

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
At this point I just need them to release TMNT Armageddon game and everything prior to the soft reboot in their hardcover series. After that they can do what they want.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
This isn't really news. And it's just a bunch of rumors and speculations, so take it with a HEAPING dollop of salt. Maybe order some fries. But, still, I found it a interesting read and analysis of the whole IDW situation.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Have some more articles about IDW!

According to the current CEO, the company is slowly finding it's way back to profitability. So, things might actually be turning around!

And supposedly they're going to start leaning more into horror comics. And that's probably not a bad idea. Horror's pretty hot right now, it feels.

But...um...then there's this. IDW wants creators to work on some books work-for-hire, that IDW will retain all the rights to. They want to try and make more IDW owned books, similar to what they tried before but without the "Creator-owned" part. Moving away from licenses a bit.

....Good luck with that.

Okay, here's the thing, this really isn't that different than hiring creators to work on licensed books. But, those already has a fan-base. These books are going to have to be written from the ground up. IDW is basically asking these creators to make creator-owned stories....that they won't retain any of the rights to. When companies like Image and Dark Horse who WILL give you a chance at your own creator-owned book are right over there.

I appreciate the effort. IDW has to do SOMETHING to right the ship. But, I don't see why anyone would give IDW their A-game when they have no skin in said game. I feel like this is the kind of bait that no one but the most desperate will bite onto. No one with any other options would just HAND IDW their creations.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
So IDW wants to be something a kin or Marvel & DC comics, owning the rights to the characters plus property and then screw over the creatives that make them, sounds like a very flawed business plan if you ask me! For IDW to be sucessful, they need people who know what they are doing, get people with ideas to create stuff and IDW to publish that and try and get a following, without screwing over the creators!

CoffeeHorse

Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
But, I don't see why anyone would give IDW their A-game when they have no skin in said game. I feel like this is the kind of bait that no one but the most desperate will bite onto. No one with any other options would just HAND IDW their creations.

Well, there's the people who would like to bring their creator-owned book to Image or Dark Horse but they have no resume. People have to get started somewhere.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Yeah, but that "somewhere" is usually licensed books. At least then, they might be fans of the characters and get SOMETHING out of the experience, getting to work with old favorite characters.

This sounds more like IDW expects people to just create things out of whole cloth and then just hand them over to IDW for "exposure". It's not a great look.

And it's not like they're working for Marvel or DC, where they MIGHT at least get a promotion to one of the 12 X-Men or Bat-Family books they have running at any given time. This is working for IDW. What are you going to offer them as a incentive to do this? Maybe getting to work on one of the TMNT books? That's the absolute HEIGHT of what anyone can expect from something like this.

It's just a...BOLD move. I'll say that much. And it feels like it's just inviting hurt feelings and bad press down the road, if they don't manage to follow through on whatever they're promising these creatives. It just feels like a train wreck waiting to happen.

CoffeeHorse

Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Exposure does still matter to absolute newbies. Working for Marvel or DC might be a better deal, maybe a vastly better deal, but what are the odds of getting the opportunity? What are the odds of even getting an interview?

Dunno if my experience is representative, but I used to go to local conventions a lot, and I saw plenty of recruiters including IDW recruiters, but I never saw recruiters from Marvel or DC.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
When you're paying as much or more for recruiters than you are the actual talent: there is still a fundamental problem. You don't see DC or marvel recruiters because they don't need them: everyone already knows who they are and how to find.

Top Bottom