Israeli-Palestinian Conflict

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Seems that I overestimated the number of Jewish people living outside of Israel. Somehow I thought it was larger.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
It's dangerous to mix up nationality and ethnicity. Some Jews are Israeli, but the majority are not. It's things like that that foster xenophobic animosity.
I didn't mix up nationality and ethnicity. I simply thought the article was about someone from Israel, which is why I used "Israeli" rather than "Jew".

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen

The UN agency for Palestinian refugees (Unrwa) says six of its employees have been killed in an Israeli air strike on a school it runs in central Gaza.

Gaza's Hamas-run Civil Defence agency said a total of 18 people were killed in Wednesday’s strike on al-Jaouni school in Nuseirat refugee camp, which is being used as a shelter by thousands of displaced Palestinians.
Israel's military said it carried out a “precise strike on terrorists” planning attacks from the school, and that it had taken measures to avoid harm to civilians.

UN Secretary General António Guterres condemned the strike, saying: “What’s happening in Gaza is totally unacceptable".

Teufel

Citizen
At least hundreds wounded as pagers used by Hezbollah members mysteriously explode simultaneously across Lebanon.

Link
At least eight people were killed and 2,800 injured in Lebanon after an alleged Israeli attack in the country caused hand-held communications devices used by Hezbollah operatives to blow up at the same time, according to reports on Tuesday.

Iran's Ambassador to Lebanon Mojtaba Amani was among those hurt in the blasts.

According to Syrian sources, four were injured while riding in a vehicle in Damascus, caused by the explosion of one of the devices that was in the car.

Initial reports varied in the amount of people killed and wounded, with some saying that hundreds had been wounded. The Lebanese National Broadcasting Network (NBN) channel said that Israel "used advanced technology" against Hezbollah, which hit when it was claimed that such incidents occurred in more than one place in the Dahieh of Beirut. Reuters said that the attack was the "biggest intelligence breach yet," citing a Hezbollah official.

Ungnome

Citizen
Wounded, not killed(though i'm sure there may be a few fatalities. either due to the person already being in a weakened state or due to it happening while they were driving causing them to crash or something) I still wonder how this was pulled off, though. Must have been some major flaw in the design of those pagers to allow an exploit to cause the batteries to overheat on command.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Nothing to do with batteries - batteries, even overheating, don't blow like that and IIRC it was just a pair of AAs. Leading suggestion is that they were intercepted mid-shipment and had an explosive planted inside them. Sometimes, the old plays work the best, and the Mossad don't play around.

In the real world, threat models are much simpler (see Figure 1). Basically, you’re either dealing with Mossad or not-Mossad. If your adversary is not-Mossad, then you’ll probably be fine if you pick a good password and don’t respond to emails from [email protected]. If your adversary is the Mossad, YOU’RE GONNA DIE AND THERE’S NOTHING THAT YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT. The Mossad is not intimidated by the fact that you employ https://. If the Mossad wants your data, they’re going to use a drone to replace your cellphone with a piece of uranium that’s shaped like a cellphone, and when you die of tumors filled with tumors, they’re going to hold a press conference and say “It wasn’t us” as they wear t-shirts that say “IT WAS DEFINITELY US,” and then they’re going to buy all of your stuff at your estate sale so that they can directly look at the photos of your vacation instead of reading your insipid emails about them. In summary, https:// and two dollars will get you a bus ticket to nowhere.

Ungnome

Citizen
Ah, gotcha, though they were lipos, which don't explode, per say, but do ignite rather violently under the right conditions which can result in some pretty severe burns. Quite the work on the Israeli's pulling that off, then.

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
From the reports on CNN it doesn't seem like it was as restrained as all that. Random people also had pagers with explosives and people in the vicinity of the explosions also got injured or worse.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
From the BBC:

"Thousands of people have been injured in Lebanon, after pagers used by the armed group Hezbollah to communicate dramatically exploded almost simultaneously across the country on Tuesday.

At least nine people were killed and some 2,800 injured, many of them seriously..."

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
I saw a basic report on this last night on my local news: and all I could wonder was why did the pagers have explosives in them in the first place? But yeah, makes sense as a large scale counter intelligence op.

Top Bottom