Mayhem Transformers Discussion: United We Shelfwarm

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
IMG_2481.png

IMG_2482.png

this may be the ballsiest 3P company since the Unicron one.

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
If I had the money I would try to snag one of these before it's too late. This will not last long.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
Honestly I wouldn't call this a 3P product because IIRC it's just a KO of the 1/60 Arcadia VF-1 figure in Jetfire colors, although I will say I hope it's as good quality as the...I think they were called Valkyrie Factory KOs. I never had one of those (because the ones I wanted were discontinued and were basically now as expensive as getting the real ones on eBay lmao) but from what I read about them, they were like 90-95% the quality of the legit figures.

And honestly knowing that it's a KO makes me think Hasbro isn't going to give a shit. They don't give a shit about all the G1 KO 'reissues' that come in reproduction boxes that flood eBay, so why would they give a shit about someone knocking off a figure that isn't even theirs to begin with, even if it comes in a fake version of a G1 box?

Hell I don't think Hasbro gives a shit in general unless it's a figure that is directly competing with themselves for a 'big product', like that 3P Unicron, or KOs of their recently released product (what was that one company that would just do KOs of recent Transformers but like make them bigger, with die-cast metal, and retooled to to have improvements because they didn't need to obey Hasbro's strict budget and price points and they literally got shut down due to IP infringement?). Hasbro ain't going to be making any type of G1 toy-accurate Jetfire figure any time soon.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Honestly I wouldn't call this a 3P product because IIRC it's just a KO of the 1/60 Arcadia VF-1 figure in Jetfire colors, although I will say I hope it's as good quality as the...I think they were called Valkyrie Factory KOs. I never had one of those (because the ones I wanted were discontinued and were basically now as expensive as getting the real ones on eBay lmao) but from what I read about them, they were like 90-95% the quality of the legit figures.

And honestly knowing that it's a KO makes me think Hasbro isn't going to give a shit. They don't give a shit about all the G1 KO 'reissues' that come in reproduction boxes that flood eBay, so why would they give a shit about someone knocking off a figure that isn't even theirs to begin with, even if it comes in a fake version of a G1 box?

Hell I don't think Hasbro gives a shit in general unless it's a figure that is directly competing with themselves for a 'big product', like that 3P Unicron, or KOs of their recently released product (what was that one company that would just do KOs of recent Transformers but like make them bigger, with die-cast metal, and retooled to to have improvements because they didn't need to obey Hasbro's strict budget and price points and they literally got shut down due to IP infringement?). Hasbro ain't going to be making any type of G1 toy-accurate Jetfire figure any time soon.
Hell, even the Jetfire colors weren’t completely unique to the Transformers brand.

I agree, Hasbro isn’t probably going to do much here (though, I remain amused at the…peculiar way they tried to avoid any Hasbro trademarks…by blatantly copying Hasbro design work and iconography). But I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the various rights holders associated with Macross get a bit fussy, though.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
Hell, even the Jetfire colors weren’t completely unique to the Transformers brand.

I agree, Hasbro isn’t probably going to do much here (though, I remain amused at the…peculiar way they tried to avoid any Hasbro trademarks…by blatantly copying Hasbro design work and iconography). But I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the various rights holders associated with Macross get a bit fussy, though.
I think the only company involved with Macross in some form that seems to actively fight against KOs and such is Bandai and this isn't a KO of a Bandai product, so they wouldn't even be able to do do anything here.

I could imagine Harmony Gold being a bit annoyed, perhaps, since one of their licensees has released a Valkyrie in G1 Jetfire colors as well but I also imagine they wouldn't want to bring attention to that lol.

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
I figure the worst they can do is stop the big retailers from carrying it. I just found it funny how blatant this is.

didn’t know this was a knockoff though. Didn’t pay attention to Macross merch since they’re generally super expensive and fragile.

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
If it's a Yamato KO then I'm no longer interested. Those things had a terrible problem with exploding pin hinges, and Yamato's bold solution was just to tell the factory to be more gentle. And for a while you could get replacement parts if you knew a guy who knew a guy, but good luck with that today.

I wouldn't trust a KO maker with this design.

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
A quick google gives me TFW who say it’s knockoff of a piece by a company called Arcadia. No idea if the original was any good.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
Arcadia is the company who got the rights to all of the Yamato molds after Yamato went under.

From what I understand from reviews is that the Arcadia versions don't have the QC issues that plagued Yamato before they went under.

CoffeeHorse

Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
In an alternate universe where Takara somehow got the rights to make a VF-1, I bet they could prove that it's not that hard.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
I'm just waiting for Bandai to officially announce that fuckin Tiny Session VF-1 they showed at a toy show or whatever once a few years ago and then remember I'd have to import it from Japan (or from a seller that gets their stock from Japan) instead of finding it at frickin Barnes & Noble like I did the Macross Delta Tiny Session figures.

(It's never going to actually come out, is it)

CoffeeHorse

Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Would Bandai really do that? Just announce something they're not really planning on ever releasing?

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
Bandai is gigantic and inefficient. If they didn’t have the gundam, Kamen Rider, Sentai and Precure money, they’d go under from the sheer amount of wasted money.

Top Bottom