Mayhem Transformers Discussion: United We Shelfwarm

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
I think the First Edition toys nailed the balance between complexity, accuracy and articulation. PRID is a worthy contender though the insistence on weird gimmicks kinda hampered the line.

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I wonder how PRID toys would have been received without the dumb gimmicks. There was a version of PRID Optimus Prime without the clear forearms, but it was Takara only and I never heard another thing about it after it was revealed.

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
I think it was a Hasbro Asia Chinese New Year thing. It came as a two-pack with the rocky Unicron with preassembled minicons and unlike Takara's Prime stuff, everything was painted up to the gills. Saw a lot of them here and in Hong Kong but never bit since I'm not paying full price for the shitty Unicron mold and never got around to hunting one down.

The Deluxes got off pretty well IMO. The head reveal gimmick wasn't as obtrusive on most of the molds but the Voyagers were absolutely destroyed by the dumb clear plastic arms and useless ugly weapon box things. Optimus was pretty cool though. He doesn't fake his windows and all he really needed was paint on the forearms and a couple more joints to fold up the truck lights on his shoulders and the backpack. Though, he does still have the PRID Voyager floating shoulderpads.

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The clear forearms were so dumb. I get what they were hoping for, but toy lights don't work that way, and they knew toy lights don't work that way, because they previously made the Armada Prime whose hand lights up the Star Saber's hilt and nothing else.

CoffeeHorse

Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Aaron Archer was still in the building, wasn't he? They could have asked him how well the light up weapon idea worked last time.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
i think u really gotta understand that no one at hasbro was thinking about (or even remembered) the time they tried to do the same gimmick like 10 years prior considering the hundreds of figures they'd released between armada and prime

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
They’d just gotten it right in the DOTM line, and even the non-locking weapons from that line looked like something when not activated at least. Worst part is that Ultra Magnus shows that they knew that people would want to lock the weapons in activated mode but they only did that on him.

With how the block of parts looks like their arms in the case of Bulkhead and Optimus, it reads as an abandoned arm-swapping gimmick or something.

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I hadn't paid much attention to the arm detailing, but... huh.

Maybe those things were originally going to be the toys' actual arms. But then someone decided to add the light, and then there wasn't enough room anymore, so these things became separate pieces. Or maybe there was always going to be a separate piece that would act as the trigger for the built in arm weapons. But somewhere along the way the weapons ended up getting integrated into the chunks instead of the arms.

Or those things were originally going to be the toys' actual arms and the plan was never deliberately changed, but someone at Takara wildly misinterpreted the drawings they were sent.

LordGigaIce

Another babka?
Citizen
My theory is that the various brand teams have, since '07, been trying to replicate the "arm turns into a gun" look of the live action films, an idea that the WFC game and Prime both ran with.
Prime's attempt to take DotM's mechtech weapons and make them "match" the characters' arms was one of many failed attempts to try and make the idea work in toy form.

Still doesn't explain why they couldn't be locked in weapon mode though.

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
I hadn't paid much attention to the arm detailing, but... huh.

Maybe those things were originally going to be the toys' actual arms. But then someone decided to add the light, and then there wasn't enough room anymore, so these things became separate pieces. Or maybe there was always going to be a separate piece that would act as the trigger for the built in arm weapons. But somewhere along the way the weapons ended up getting integrated into the chunks instead of the arms.

Or those things were originally going to be the toys' actual arms and the plan was never deliberately changed, but someone at Takara wildly misinterpreted the drawings they were sent.
I get the vibe that they wanted to do something like the Studio Series game toys but this is roughly the same design team that didn’t want to make Headmasters because kids might lose the heads so they did what we got.

Last edited:

Blot

Citizen
Doubt it was the case though, since the Voyager size toys had translucent chest blocks that you could use the light up feature on (nobody ever used the light up feature on them)

Top Bottom