Mayhem Transformers Discussion: United We Shelfwarm

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
Titanium joints ran the entire spectrum, from so tight they risked breaking, to so floppy they'd ragdoll if you breathed on them too hard. Most of them leaned towards the latter, especially with a little wear on them.

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Which one is supposed to have tight joints? I need to test my luck on that.

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
BM Cheetor had some really scary transformation joints but his points of articulation were generally floppy. He’s the only one I had.

Also consider hybrid style convoy, to enjoy the worst truck mode ever aside from maybe the twopack Optimus with the spinny waist.

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I have Hybrid Style Convoy. I have never successfully tabbed the arms into place in vehicle mode. Either I'm missing something, or mine is defective.

The Mighty Mollusk

Citizen
Which one is supposed to have tight joints? I need to test my luck on that.
I seem to remember Optimal Optimus having some overly tight joints. Some of them right next to floppy joints, so it could be a chore to move only the part you were actually trying to move. Been a while, though, and I think the only Titanium I still have is the Fallen.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
My local toy store has Beast Wars II Starscream and BB, thinking of picking that set up for my birthday if it hasn't sold by then.

(Look I think I'm allowed to buy myself at least one thing as a present for myself considering everything that's happened)

The Mighty Mollusk

Citizen
I had the RID2k version of the molds. For their age, they're pretty good toys. Although I think the earlier ones didn't lock the missiles into the big guy's launcher, so they fall out if you tip it forward? Handle with care, I guess.

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
Only complaint about them is they have lots of ball joints that get floppy that somehow resist tightening.

edit: derp, I was thinking of the cyberjets, not the gatling gun guy

Last edited:

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
According to the wiki, it was only the original G2 release of the mold that had that issue, every later release retooled the missiles and/or launcher so they would lock into place.

Hilariously it also notes that every later release retooled it differently so none of the missiles are cross-compatible with the different releases.

You'd think after they did the first retooling Hastak would just...use that one but nah.

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
I want to know why they thought this would be a good idea in the first place.
IMG_2141.jpeg

of course, it is Japan, so odds are someone on the design team’s into it.

The Mighty Mollusk

Citizen
Considering the same line includes a giraffe, a penguin, a rabbit, and a snail, I think someone on the Neo design team was just stoned out of their mind the whole time and nobody higher up cared enough to look into it until it was too late.

DefaultOption

Sourball
Citizen
I assumed that, at least for the original, the Orgysaurus mode was an afterthought that worked well enough that the folks at Takara said "sure, why not" and made it official, in the same way that the people who made the Japanese cartoons would come up with extra modes for some TFs by fiddling with the toys, and the new version of Magmatron got that mode just because the first one had it.

Blot

Citizen
Kids like combining robots, and the last show had two of them, so why not make a guy who is three dinosaurs combined in either mode.

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
It'd probably look better if the colors weren't so separate, making it very clear that it's three dinosaurs taped together.

Considering the same line includes a giraffe, a penguin, a rabbit, and a snail, I think someone on the Neo design team was just stoned out of their mind the whole time and nobody higher up cared enough to look into it until it was too late.
The worst part is that they didn't even bother making use of the animal anatomy for most of them. Like a giraffe head and neck could be a railgun, a spear, a sniper rifle or any number of insane things. Turns out best they could do was shoulderpad.

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
Bulkhead shipped. God, that was a quick turnover from product reveal to release. Sure it's a knockoff but still.

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
Today I learned that the justification that Legacy Tidal Wave doesn't have a Minicon is because Ramjet never actually showed up in the cartoon.

Probably because Tidal Wave's minicon-activated gimmick is so lame.

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
Ah yes, the exalted feature of folding him into a nondescript box, rattling around and disappointingly plopping out of his compartment like a wet turd at a push of a button.

Now that I think about it, that gimmick doesn’t even use minicon ports does it? Ramjet would probably stay in place if it did

Last edited:

Top Bottom