Mayhems tangled mess of controler cords

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
The true computer experience is when you can't get something to work and then it just does and you have no idea what the **** you just did.

I'm posting this in this thread because I'm talking about configuring my USB Sega Genesis controller in RetroArch. Literal pain in the ass, it's a six-button controller (well technically 8 buttons cause it has L and R but obviously the Genesis didn't have those) so I'm using this homebrew controller tester Genesis ROM to make sure I got the control configured properly. The d-pad and start button are configured totally fine out of the box and I manage to get the A, B, and C buttons configured properly but no matter what I do - I cannot get the mode button or X, Y, and Z to work. And the buttons are clearly working because in RetroArch's controller config for navigating menus, I can press any of those four seemingly non-working buttons and they work fine (and I had to do that to figure out what button I needed to map because they're just identified as just like 'Button 1, Button 2, Button 3, etc' in the controller config menu)

And the real kicker is that the Mode button was detected as being button 4 by RetroArch and button 4 was supposedly autoconfigured to be the Mode button and yet it still wouldn't work. No matter what I did, I could not get those buttons to actually function. And part of me was thinking 'Maybe I need to restart the core for the config to start working' but then I realized that I don't because remapping the controls to get the A, B, and C buttons to work went just fine without restarting it. So like what the ****.

Anyways now it's working, just randomly tested out the controller testing ROM again and all the buttons are functioning just fine. D-Pad, Start, Mode, ABCXYZ, it's working totally fine. What the ****.

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
I don’t even care about the bugginess. The worst part is that there’s zero postgame unless you like VGC (terrible meta btw)

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
How big is the map? It looks like the game is trying to handle too much at once, like the devs didn't bother to be strategic about where things are loaded and disposed because they assumed modern hardware could just handle anything they throw at it.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen

Skip to around 7:54 to see how absurdly huge the game's ocean map is for no apparent reason. And while the main map culls whatever you're not currently looking at, the ocean and the skybox are always fully rendered.

Basically it's because the game was massively rushed to meet the release schedule and the dev team has little to no experience creating an open world game like this, so it's kind of a clusterfuck.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
This is the highest grossing media franchise in the world btw.

I mean I fully enjoy Pokémon Scarlet and this is the first serious glitch I've had since getting the game back in December (worst glitch I've experienced before was the picnic table not spawning when I tried to start a picnic once) and, while I'm not someone who is bothered by the game running poorly (I grew up playing games on a shitty laptop where I'd regularly be playing games at like 20 fps and the thought of seeing 30 fps, much less 60 fps was just a dream to me, so unless a game is running at literal slideshow levels, I'm immune to bad framerates), the utter state the game was released in and still is in is just utterly unacceptable.

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
IIRC, the game has a memory leak issue so you have to restart your console every once in a while to lower the chances of glitching

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
I want to point out that I literally just started up the game and loaded into my save when that happened.

That was literally like 30 seconds into playing.

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
>Loaded up that Yu-Gi-Oh video game I bought about 2 years ago

>Opened up deck builder

>Literally more than 10,000 cards

>Screw this shit. I'm playing Paper Mario.

Last edited:

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
I'd wager closer to 9,900. Some of it is irredeemable garbage from the first few sets but the vast majority is stuff that was decent or even meta at one point but has simply been outclassed by the astronomical power creep. Then there's like 1% stuff that used to be broken that they errata'd into uselessness. Like, shit man, I just want to Catapult Turtle my Dragon Knight into the Castle's floatation ring, not read a goddamn dissertation on the different extra deck monsters.

And somehow, despite having monsters that literally prevent your opponent from playing, shit that summons an entire board out of nowhere and nigh-unstoppable negates from the hand, Konami still thinks Pot of Greed is too strong to not be banned.

Last edited:

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
The overcomplexity of Yugioh is why I stick with playing Pokémon TCG Live casually as my TCG game of choice lol.

Shame about the...well I don't wanna say the performance of the game on my phone (I'm lucky and have no issues on that front, I know a lot of people have issues), but it really does drain the battery pretty quick lol. Real power guzzler of a game.

(I kinda wanna try downloading the .exe to see how it runs via Proton through Steam to see if I could play it on my laptop instead)

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
I wish it had better player vs computer. I don’t care for PVP since it eventually devolves into meta vs antimeta and I like playing fun but non competitive decks. I like the concept of playing a card game but not the reality.

Last edited:

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
zIPqwKi.jpeg

Somehow, "Yogurtborn" doesn't have the same ring to it.

Haze Arquebus

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
Neither does saying that Ulfric Stormcloak sharted the high king apart...though, if they're Yogurtland, I guess they wouldn't really have that kind of problem with dairy, so this joke doesn't work. Damn.

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
You know I liked putting that Megaman X model kit together. Think I'll pass by the store to get another.

The store has one Falcon Armor in a beaten up box and stacks of Blade Armors.

Eff off, X6

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
Bought an X3 Max armor kit. Build was more tedious than the Fourth Armor and some bits would not stay in place without glue. Tweaked the colors a bit since the Megaman X armors tend to be garish. Where I went with game sprite accuracy for the fourth Armor, I decided to go with a more toned-down interpretation. Did gold instead of yellow and dark blue over the newr-sky blue they did. Bonus Z-Saber’s okay wish the clear part were more green, but putting the cross charge shot with the gold repaint kinda suck.
IMG_2313.jpeg

IMG_2315.jpeg

IMG_2314.jpeg

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I KNOW, in my brain, this laptop is a solid deal. I know, in my brain, a RTX 4070 will give me YEARS of viable gaming performance (especially at 1080p). The RAM and storage are upgradable, giving me future options. The screen is pretty mediocre, but the reviews say the actual technical performance is solid (I got an extra monitor, anyway). As an investment in a "gaming device", it should be a decent deal (especially with the 18 month financing deal)

But good GOD, does it hurt to put an order in for over $900 at the moment...

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
genuine question: do you need a laptop?

cause, and i am speaking someone who prefers gaming laptops because she needs the portability VS a desktop, a gaming laptop is always going to be weaker compared to an equivalently priced gaming desktop

Top Bottom