Mayhems tangled mess of controler cords

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
The Maverick rebellion against the humans could have been avoided if only Sigma installed NordVPN.

Last edited:

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
I bought a Megaman X artbook online from Japan and it arrived a couple days ago. I opened it up and half of it’s the handful of female characters they have with a few OCs and with various extra costumes like kimono, swimsuit etc. That’s when it dawned on me.

I bought an artbook for a goddamn gacha game.

At least the other stuff’s cool.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
Found out there's a FOSS game creator called GB Studio that's designed to be easy to use for beginners (of course there is still a learning curve) that let's you make Game Boy games.

And I don't mean 'Game Boy-inspired games' I mean 'actual, honest to goodness, Game Boy games', you can actually export what you create as ROMs and run them in emulators or, if you have a flash cart, real hardware. You can create entirely monochrome Game Boy games, dual-compatible Game Boy Color games (think like how Pokémon Gold and Silver were GBC games but they would play in B&W on the OG Game Boy), and color-only GBC games (like Pokémon Crystal).

Think I might try making something with it, there's actually tons of free to use assets other people have made for the software too - which will help if I just wanna make something to try making a game, y'know?

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'm going to look into that, because 3D just isn't going to work for me, but I could make GB sprites all day long.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I bought a Megaman X artbook online from Japan and it arrived a couple days ago. I opened it up and half of it’s the handful of female characters they have with a few OCs and with various extra costumes like kimono, swimsuit etc. That’s when it dawned on me.

I bought an artbook for a goddamn gacha game.

At least the other stuff’s cool.
So you could say they…gotcha?

giphy.gif

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
Honestly is there anything cooler than when a video game company rereleases their old games for free?

When I was in elementary school, the iMac G3s we had in the computer lab had the games Otto Matic and Bugdom preinstalled on them and I loved those frickin games.

And yeah, the company behind those games (Pangaea Software) has rereleased all of their old games for free. Of course, you might think that's only of interest to retro gamers since these games either require you to have a PowerPC-based Macintosh capable of running Classic Mac OS applications or a Mac running a version of Mac OS X that still supports 32-bit applications, but a fan has made open-source ports of a bunch of their games to modern Windows, Mac, and Linux and they fully approve of these too.

I love that shit, like 'Do you have an old Mac with Mac OS 9 on it? Alright, here you go - download the game here and just use this registration code and enjoy our game!' and also 'Do you have a modern computer and still wanna play this game? Alright, check out this open-source port for modern OSes made by a fan here, it's totally free!'

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
In an attempt to recoup their investment (and I’m still baffled beyond belief that Hasbro passed up the purchase), Embracer Group is continuing to leverage old Crystal Dynamics/Eidos content.
After the original Tomb Raider Trilogy for Evercade, Embracer is following up with…a Legacy of Kain duology!

Featuring the original Legacy of Kain and Soul Reaver, ported to the Evercade platform. Like Duke Nukem 3D and most other 3D titles, these are assuredly conversions of the PlayStation versions. Contrary to Blaze’s false marketing with Glover, I’ve yet to see a title on the platform exceed the original PlayStation’s capabilities, especially in 3D titles.

But I view this as a “big deal” given the issues playing those two titles these days. While both have been available via GOG, trying to run games of this vintage (especially the first) can be…temperamental. Both were available for download on the PSP platform, but neither Eidos (later SquareEnix) or Sony seemed interested in updating them for play on later platforms. This could well be the EASIEST way to play both games outside of any sort of dedicated remastering efforts (which I suspect might actually be in play for Soul Reaver).

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
The stage sucks but it’s doable after a couple tries. The worst part is that the stage boss is a stupid puzzle boss where you have to use the Rock Ball.

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I found the whole game pretty painful. Is it generally representative of the series, or is it a weird one?

Aside from the voice acting, which I already know is infamous.

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
It's not really the best introduction. Half of the stages have some dumb gimmick instead of running and gunning, the weapons are lame and only good for boss weaknesses for one time puzzles.

For classic most people like 2 the best and I mostly agree though I have issues with certain levels. 6 isn't a slouch and 3 has impressive amounts of content for a nes game. 1 is pretty terrible, 4 and 5 are mediocre. 9 and 10 are nostalgia bait IMO and aren't very fun to play even as a series veteran. They seem to be built with a HURR DURR NES GAME HARD mentality. 11 is pretty good but seems to have one asinine death trap in every level and each stage seems to go on for forever.

Personally, I'd recommend the first X game, X4 or Zero 3. X is finetuned on every level compared to other entries in the series, X4 isn't quite as good mechanically but has overall better presentation and far more meat on its bones, and Zero 3 is just about perfection IMO.

Last edited:

Top Bottom