[OOC] STOMP Remembrance Project

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
I do think a session zero (or maybe just a "by the way you realize") might've helped with initial expectations

'Expectations' is really key. Even I made early assumptions that turned out to be false--like expecting Cabooceratops and Sailor Unicron to reprise their characters from a previous campaign. Also, a lot of people PMed questions that might have been best if done with a group. I've seen various ways to make short campaign primers so I might practice and make one for STOMP and one for Mey Hem.

Concerning loot and currency, the system isn't really setup for it. Loot/treasure incentives can drive play but takes extra work. Like, I'm not sure if I could have done makeovers and life lessons on the fly if exact costs were required. There's also the point Destron brought up that in STOMP you have paychecks. Loot would be more appropriate for Mey Hem and even then, there'd be difficulties and weirdness.

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Well, Wanderlust didn't have a loot system as far as I remember but Aspirations of Harmony did. I still have that document saved somewhere.

Destron D-69

at Journey's end
Citizen
one of the other things I made sure to keep constantly mentioning in game was Maple's saddlebags. I think a few people got it, but it might have been better for me to have just pointed it out ooc - my reason for not doing so, was honestly because I joined the game late and you all had established so much already.... I didn't want to come in and be all "hey do it like this" ... but the entire point of her pack was to have an obvious and limited inventor system. Zam had been fairly consistent with the enemy descriptions leading up to when I joined the game - plus I had the benefit of reading everything you guys did before hand - so I came into the game knowing stuff you all had to learn in the moment. ...but like fighting Coin agents ... they were rarely described with more on them than their uniforms... so looting never really felt like a thing that would gain me much as a player.

I did have maple take one though lol so she did loot a little bit. XD but I think that could have just been me trying to have another "shape" she could have an excuse for doing at some point. lol. Plus given the setting... mlp:fim ... where very rarely do characters even have pockets, I was never really expecting Zam to be running loot tables in the background of encounters...

but yeah, beyond all that, I assumed given that IC we were basically working for the government both on the books and off the books... plus had access -via story reasons- to whatever magical items Zam could dream up for us that would either just be in the keep... or easily obtainable by either of the 2 mid-tier princesses - or as a personal favor to maple from the one good princess with just a quickly written note ... most of our item issues would be more of a "when to use what we have" question. Rather than a "we need to go kill rats for gold so we can stock up for potions" sort of thing.

Now all that being said, I wouldn't have been anywhere near drawing those conclusions without having the foreknowledge of the things everyone else had hindsight on.. and I'm sure it was the same way with the players who joined after me who learned from watching Maple mess up... I mean, nobody else ruined team meetings the way she did

"You're rambling again Mr. Destron, that means it is time for more coffee..or a nap. Roll a [D20]"

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
Well, Wanderlust didn't have a loot system as far as I remember but Aspirations of Harmony did. I still have that document saved somewhere.

If you're talking about the document I think you are, a lot of players tended to take the things from it as a natural part of leveling instead of as a GM granted bonus. Regardless, there still wasn't a currency system or guidance on leveling speed.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
Ooohhh, I remember now (looking at document)...

...players still treated the gold amounts as points they got automatically to pick what they wanted as opposed to actual gold they they earned through adventuring and had to go to shops.

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
In most games I've been in the gold (or equivalent) is automatic, plus extra for players who look for it. Though usually it's based on sidequests, not necessarily looting.

Destron D-69

at Journey's end
Citizen
yeah, I figured if there was anything that we'd totally for sure going to need, there would be a training mission, or an npc would show up at a meeting and be like... "okay here's a greater healing potion and here's a couple low level items from the archives that we can loan you while on the next mission"

I also wrote Maple's character sheet to not really need to spend money on much. like she worked where she slept and didn't really need to buy food so other than the occasional gift or coffee ..or whatever... I mean she had like 5 jobs by the end -so money wasn't an issue. But in a game I played in another system that did have looting and a credits currency system ...there was a moment when my character was like... "hmmm that item that npc has would look good on me... maybe we don't play this fight to a draw...."

so I can see how that perception can influence decision making.

also my gosh the double shovel has appeared. I was so stink'n jealous that wasn't a maple thing.... in the moment, but wow was this a fun little story to be a part of.

Top Bottom