Power Rangers General Discussion Thread

MrBlud

Citizen
It amazes (terrifies?) me this property is over THREE DECADES OLD and within SIX YEARS of Hasbro buying it; it’s all but dead in the US.

You cannot get a property with less overhead. Japan SHOOTS THE SHOW FOR YOU. Stop doing your own shit in New Zealand and just go back to basics and shoot a bunch of nobodies in a Vancouver backlot and overdub the suit footage.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It amazes (terrifies?) me this property is over THREE DECADES OLD and within SIX YEARS of Hasbro buying it; it’s all but dead in the US.

You cannot get a property with less overhead. Japan SHOOTS THE SHOW FOR YOU. Stop doing your own shit in New Zealand and just go back to basics and shoot a bunch of nobodies in a Vancouver backlot and overdub the suit footage.
I thought it was originally in LA?

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
At Super7's booth at SDCC it looks like theyre going to be offering pared down versions of their Power Rangers Ultimates with classic triangle packaging for $35

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Things are looking bleak. Supposedly an auction house is showing off suits from the series to be auctioned off later.

Tm_Silverclaw

Citizen
I mean.. That happens often. We KNOW most of the suits and stuff are not kept, and would simply be remade if needed again.

Remember.. a whole bunch of Ranger Suites had been put through the wood chipper.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Well, at least we're getting a little bit of good news out of SDCC.

The Power Rangers comics...LIVE ON!
diamond-retailer-lunch-boom-1.jpg

Honestly, I was halfway expecting something like this. The comics are the only branch of the franchise that actually seems to be working out for Hasbro. I didn't think it'd benefit anyone to end the comics, completely. Plus, they were keeping Ranger Academy going, so that was kind of a tell that they were up to something.

No news yet on what the focus of the book will actually be, but I think we can probably expect a new creative team, at least. They like to mix things up every once in a while.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
The official word was technically that the current ongoing was coming to a end. I don't think anyone officially said that they were losing the license. Boom just never corrected anyone about the difference. Probably so that they could make a big deal about their big relaunch.

I think a lot of news outlets editorialized a bit too much when they were reporting on this, months ago. I'm not even sure if this is a full "reboot", or if the end of Darkest Hour will just change some things around. Sort of like the end of Shattered Grid did. The latest issue this week did have a "Superboy Punch"-style change to the comic timeline made. We might see more things like that, as the event ends.

With the Red Ranger on one of the covers, in what seems to be a new Battlizer that seems partially inspired by Dino Charge Red, I have a hunch they're just going to move towards a way to use ALL the teams as they wish at the same time. All Shattered Grid all the time, essentially. I don't know if that's the case. It might just be one of a hundred alternate covers that have nothing to do with the story at all, like Boom usually does. But, it'd be a little weird if they designed new armor just for a cover and never used it in the interiors.

And...well...with other Hasbro Power Rangers projects falling through, like the big new TV show they were planning. I wouldn't be too surprised if this was a last-minute change in plans. I have to wonder if Boom was originally going to line up with Hasbro's new Netflix show, before those plans finally got the kibosh. This might be a "band-aid" of sorts, since they might have had to scrap their original plans. Or maybe not. We'll probably never know.

Last edited:

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Yeah Boom was never losing the license, and they had just made mention that this version of the comic would be ending. That left it very vague so most jumped on the most obvious coming to an end claims early on. But this is interesting. I'm wondering if it is like the recent "end" of the TMNT line just being a new #1 for the new creative team. I'm with ZakuConvoy on it seems like this is a way for them to play with the entire franchise now that it's seems we've Shattered the Grid again. Of note is the Power Rangers Infinity one shot coming that is a new team with odd and interesting Ranger concepts. Which could be Boom given free reign to go crazy with Ranger team concepts. So I saw something lately of a Personal Training Force on Facebook but I haven't seen it since.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
It kinda looks, to me, like he's wearing a shattered version of the Dragon Shield on his shoulders.
I see a couple of different possible inspirations here. Dino Thunder's Battlizer with the dinosaur-headed weapon on one arm. Dino Charge's Battlizer with the more pronounced teeth on the helmet. It's possible they're combining a few different things with this design.

Plus, looking at the chest, it looks like they might have put a giant power coin logo on there, like some of the old MMPR toys used to have, and that the MMPR Movie designs had.

Also, looking at the chest, I'm wondering if this Red could actually be...(spoilered for recent-ish events in the comic, and I know that some people are trying to catch up.)

Trini. Recently, she's become the Red Omega Ranger. So, I wonder if they're going to make Trini their full-time Red in the new comic.

Plus, it would kind of make sense with the yellow on the background of this cover.

It kind of depends on how much of a reboot this new comic ends up being. Maybe none of that will have happened in the new book. But, I'm betting it's not THAT much of a reboot. So, they could carry Trini's new leader status into the new book.

Last edited:

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
The Darkest Hour Special is out! And thus, this current run on the comic comes to a end.

Honestly, I was either expecting a teaser for what they had planned next, or some sense that this really was a grand finale. And...well, I kind of got both and neither at the same time.

I feel like they were hedging their bets a little with this ending. Maybe there was some discussion behind the scenes about whether or not Boom would get to keep the license. Because, while they could expand on this, they could also take it a completely different direction and still be fine. This does serve as a tribute to the past and addresses a lot of lingering plot points. But, it also leaves things fairly open. I'm 80% sure they'll be continuing from where this leaves off, but I'm not 100% sure.

Still, it was a good issue. It's strange that we have to wait strange months for the next ongoing to start. But, we are getting a few one shots to tide us over.

Overall, the whole Darkest Hour event was maybe a little overly long, but it did tie together a lot of stuff in the comic that we've been waiting for. I enjoyed it more than not.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Now, I know Operation Overdrive is no one's favorite season, but I just found this behind-the-scenes special that aired on Jetix right before the season began, and has never been released on DVD. It gives a tour of the various costumes and props, and three of the sets, featured in the series.

Ookalf

Citizen
IGN has some more info on the upcoming new comics series, Power Rangers Prime.

Some quick bullet points:
  • The same writer and character designer as the previous series, but the story's apparently a total continuity reboot. Comparisons are being drawn to Ultimate Marvel, but without the old universe still running alongside it. New artist worked on Iron Fist.
  • The story's drawing from the full franchise, not just MMPR. Lauren from Samurai is seemingly a core character. She appears morphed in Super Samurai Mode on covers, and has a fur collar and fingerless gloves for some reason? Jungle Fury and Megaforce are also name-dropped as having characters appearing.
  • Eltarians, Zordon's species, are apparently antagonists. They're hunting Rangers and might have already conquered Earth, or at least Angel Grove.

TM2-Megatron

Citizen

Things were pretty nice, there for a while. The Legacy Series MMPR toys were amazing.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I wouldn't even care so much about that, if you could just do the panel by panel thing on your phone.

I got the Transformers bundle from IDW eons ago, and just seem to remember it being harder to read on my phone overall.

Top Bottom