Power Rangers General Discussion Thread

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Hey, over here... 👋

Yes, hi, I'm kind of a card game-illiterate guy. I know Magic is one, and Pokemon is one, and Yu-Gi-Oh is one, and there are a bunch for other licensed properties, and it all just kinda falls apart from there.

What was their other HUGE effing property?
I’m assuming Duel Masters, which barely blipped here in the states in the saturated CCG market of 2004. And I’m not even sure the revamp Kaijudo, even saw much released in the US aside from the cartoon on The Hub.
(Duel Masters was a cooperative project between WotC and Takara, akin to the relationship Hasbro and TakaraTomy have in regards to Transformers)

But I hear it did well in Japan, and was/is still being produced by Tomy.

Tm_Silverclaw

Citizen
Yep, other parts of the country, Duel Masters was HUGE. Easily eclipsing Magic in other Regions.

But they tried numerous times to pull Duel Masters, and often times places like Tomy basically said "Eff no, if you don't want to do it anymore, we'll do it as per contract."

Basically WotC WHOLE thing is focus on Magic.

With some of the stuff with D&D, you could say "they are trying to piss off D&D players in hoping they'll move to Magic" I would honestly find it believable.

As for the over-complication of Transformers Card game and Card types... Isn't that exactly WotC fault?

WotC could have had a card game designed for the whole Hasbro Multi/Universe... but instead they try hard to only have crossovers with Magic.

Tm_Silverclaw

Citizen
Wait, so how big is Duel Masters in Japan compared to the likes of Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh!?
Dunno the actual numbers. Us getting numbers is most likely unlikely, but it's got an online game in Japan. And APPARENTLY *again.. getting info is hard* has been in the top 3 for years now. Including constantly outselling... Magic the Gathering.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Oh yeeeeeeah... Duel Masters...

1730016801673.gif

Top Bottom