Random Thoughts From Out of Nowhere

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
I wonder what the percentage of Linux users who distro hop just because 'they saw a screenshot of someone's desktop on Reddit and thought it looked really cool and they decided to switch to that distro to make their desktop look cool too' is.

CoffeeHorse

Exhausted, but still standing.
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
A lot of Linux people are just larpers who don't actually use it for anything. These are the people who preach that the command line is so fast, but they only think it's fast because they have the installation commands memorized, but they only have the installation commands memorized because it's the only thing they ever do.

Install. Don't know what to do next. Hop. Install. Don't know what to do next. Hop. Install. Don't know what to do next...

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
honestly i think computers would be better without GUIs

it all went to shit once everyone and their mum became able to 'use' a PC imo.

i'm like half joking and half serious right now tbh.

i hate computers and think their consequences on humanity have been a disaster

CoffeeHorse

Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
IBM tried to save us.

I recently wasted a day setting up some IBM PS/2 VM. Nobody does this because you need to find the exact startup diskette for your model. People wonder why IBM did that instead of having some handy CMOS setup tool built in like every generic compatible did. It's because IBM's tool is graphical with windows and such, and offers a whole damned guided tour of the hardware explaining what you're setting up, with examples and frigging exercises you can do. It's all skippable if you're in a hurry and know what you're doing, but it's there to help the newbies get to that point too.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
The PS/2 came too little too late for IBM to save anyone tbh.

IBM: Hey guys, you know that IBM PC and all of those IBM PC compatibles that are really popular? Well, here is our NEW successor to the IBM PC line and it has completely new hardware standards that are not compatible with the standards set by the IBM PC line AND they're proprietary too, protected by our patents. If y'all wanna make computers compatible with this new architecture, you're gonna have to pay up for licenses and royalties.

Literally everybody with a PC or compatible: Yeah nah.

IBM: Pleae

CoffeeHorse

Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
They kept that approach with their other computers though. The help files are extravagant.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
Screenshot 2024-09-24 at 12-49-14 Ubuntu Christian Edition -- Linux For Christians.png

i wonder how many people use ubuntu christian edition

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
Based on the website, I'm pretty sure this is literally just...regular Ubuntu but they just preinstalled it with like website filtering and parental control software, Bible studying software, stuff for churches, and Christian desktop backgrounds.

I don't get it, personally, but I'm also not the type of person this distro is being aimed towards.

It's being aimed towards a Christian userbase (obviously) and I mean...OK well I mean I am a Christian so I guess in a vague sense I am the type of person they would be aiming this towards but I'm also not the type of person who would need a specifically Christian-centered distro.

Top Bottom